Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Utsukawadayuu's name again

Post by takenoko »

I was working on Kanon and noticed that Tayuu is actually a word that means something. (I mean, all the kanji in the bad guy's name means something

Tayuu 太夫 【たゆう】 (n) (1) leading actor in a Noh play, (2) (Edo-period) courtesan, (3) ancient official

Well, maybe it's not that interesting. Doesn't seem likely that they're using it as a rank or title. But I guess they use Tayuu instead of Dayuu since it's a real word originally?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Utsukawadayuu's name again

Post by Catastrophe »

Not completely relevant, but I think its Dayu in PR Samurai. Guess they didn't get the memo.
Shrapnel
Infinity

Post by Shrapnel »

It might mean courtesan, 'cuz it seems only logical in the hierarchy ... kinda like feudal Japan. So you have the samurai (Shinkenger), the minister (Shitari), the courtesan (Tayuu), the evil overlord or something (Doukoku). Er, in hindsight it doesn't make much sense, but. xD
FoxyChan
Gao
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Go-onger
Dreamy: Chiaki Tani
Favorite Band: lots of 'em
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Shogo Suzuki

Post by FoxyChan »

Usukawa Tayuu was translated to mean "thin-skinned courtesan," which makes a good bit of sense; she does seem to fit the courtesan role somewhat, and it was her thin-skinnedness in life, namely (not sure if we'd need spoiler tags since we're a year removed from the series end, but can't be too careful)
Spoiler
her being so angry at being scorned by the man she loved obsessively that she torched his wedding ceremony

that brought her to where she ended up.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Doesn't thinly skin also kind of imply being fair skinned as well? I'm sure it's some comment on her beauty

Return to “Samurai Sentai Shinkenger”