Wiki Link

< Kiva | Decade | W >
windfalcon
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Neutral Good

Kamen Rider Gary Stu!

Post by windfalcon »

I love Decade, seriously I do. Going through the past decade of Kamen Riders using semi-AUs and reliving those old series with new twists is a brilliant idea. It's like a great big Super Sentai Vs thing with Kamen Rider, it's brilliant!

But... does anyone else get the 'Gary Stu/Mary Sue' vibe when it comes to Tsukasa?

Even if its the theme of nthe show... I honestly can;t help but get the feeling that Decade is one big Crossover Fanfiction as Tsukasa seems to be the 'perfect main character'. Anyone who has written fanfiction, or even read them, will know what I'm talking about.

Currently searching for a Mary Sue drinking game I ran across that was perfect for proving my point... course, I also used it mto prove Sasuke from Naruto was a Mary Sue in his own right, so that might not be saying much.

Anywho, the search continues!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Gary Stu!

Post by takenoko »

Not really. Tsukasa's far from perfect. Sure, he has the latent ability of 10 people, but they balance it with arrogance and having him rely on Yuusuke to be his conscience
Black Cat Godess
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Black Cat Godess »

Not to mention the fact that Natsumi's super thumb of doom can take him out quite easily.

While I will admit that Tsukasa is quite good, he's not perfect. AS Takenoko mentioned, he's arrogant to a fault and he's dependant upon Yuusuke AND Natsumi to be his moral center. Still, I feel that Tsukasa is more well rounded than a Gary Stu, but I've found that Gary Stu can mean different things to different people. Still, I think Tsukaka being an interesting character cancels out any bit of Gary Stu-ness he might have.
Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

I just find the Mary Sue criticism kind of baseless in general. Maybe it's not a criticism at all. But I just don't see how one would know that unless the author admitted that they wrote the character as if it were for him or herself in that part
Drium

Post by Drium »

1) He's the main character. All main characters are automatically the center of attention and would very loosely qualify to be Mary Sues in their own right, but that's a bit of a silly thing to say.

2) Tsukasa keeps ending up with /really bad/ spots in the worlds. The only way he could get it any worse is if he ended up as, like, a janitor. Low-ranked policeman? REALLY-low-ranked BOARD cook? ZECT gumby? C'mon, really, if he was a Gary Stu (for real) he would get way better jobs than that from the start. (That he earns them in some cases is aside the point.) Now, Daiki, THAT'S a Gary Stu, if we brush aside the fact he's been starting to lose fights as his aura of invincible new character wears off. Always one step ahead, usually incredibly smarter and more successful than the rest of the cast.

Dunno, just my two cents. If you want a series where the main character is a Gary Stu, try watching Kabuto. :)
TerminusEst13
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Too many to list...
My boom: Art

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Tendou was such a Gary Stu it wasn't even funny.
Drium

Post by Drium »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Tendou was such a Gary Stu it wasn't even funny.
"HAHA, I HAVE DESTROYED THE HYPER ZECTER AND YOUR FUTURE, KABUTO. WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW?" "No u." "WTF!" "Hyper Cast Off." "FFFFFFF--"
Sloth MD
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by Sloth MD »

Drium wrote:
"HAHA, I HAVE DESTROYED THE HYPER ZECTER AND YOUR FUTURE, KABUTO. WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW?" "No u." "WTF!" "Hyper Cast Off." "FFFFFFF--"
"We'll tell you all you need to know... if you can defeat this worm without the Hyper Clock up." "Pfft. No problem. *Summons perfect zector.*" "-.- Really?"
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

Well, Tsukasa's far from perfect...
He can't take photographs very well, he even admitted at one time he sucks at photography (though it is implied it's because that wasn't his "world")
Not to mention some of his hairs and clothes looks bad... Yet he claims he looks good in said outfit...
Sure he fights very well, but then again, all main characters will somehow know how to fight monster even when they never fought s monster before
Not to mention his arrogance...

Now for Tendou... He... Is... Too... Perfect...
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
Ichida
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider 555
Dreamy: Haga Yuria
Favorite Actor?: Takeda Kouhei

Post by Ichida »

He was such a Gary Stu that it WAS funny, IMO. The best part was that there were rare moments when he was at fault but still buffed the dent out with his smooth and sky-pointing attitude. XD

Yeah, Tsukasa's got his flaws; it's always hilarious to see what crappy job he gets next. I mean, come on, a high schooler? How old is he?! XDD
SuperIchi, Blue Caster of Radio Sentai Castranger (formerly Ichida za Zeal)
our tokustasu weekly review podcast, blending seasoned veteran critique, reactionary hilarity, & anguished screams of cringe/shock
http://castranger.podbean.com
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Tendou had a minor incapability streak some time past the halfway point.
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that time when Tendou freaked out after thinking that Juuka is in "love"
His reaction was priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Leonsagara »

From what I've seen so far, not really. He really doesn't tend to think things through and is impulsive. You can really tell when Yuusuke misinterprets his motivations and gives Tsukasa more credit for his actions than Tsukasa actually intended.
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

takenoko wrote:Not really. Tsukasa's far from perfect. Sure, he has the latent ability of 10 people, but they balance it with arrogance and having him rely on Yuusuke to be his conscience
That and he sucks at taking photos. :U

Return to “Kamen Rider Decade”