Feel the power of Decade
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Kiva | Decade | W >
SwordKing
7X

Question for a fanfic...

Post by SwordKing »

If Decade used a card to assume Faiz's Wolf Orphenoch form, would that be a Form Ride or a Kaijin Ride?
In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two seperate, yet equally important groups: The police, who investigate crimes, and the giant robots, who do battle with the bad guys' giant robots. These are their stories.
大変身
Save the life
Favorite Actor?: Nobuyuki Hiyama

Re: Question for a fanfic...

Post by 大変身 »

Kaijin Ride is a Summon done by Diend Chinomanoko, it's more or less a Form Ride, but Kamen Ride are both done by Decade and Diend and they both do different things, so Kaijin Ride I guess
Twitter
iamawesome.com
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

It's not a form of Faiz, just an Orphenoc who happens to be Faiz, so Kaijin Ride.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

A Wolf Orph isn't a Kamen Rider, so it wouldn't be anything
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The orphenoch cards in Ganbaride are both Final Rides, you can't use anything outside of Kamen Riders to play as.
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight

Post by Leonite Rider »

This is for a fanfic however, which means stuff like Kaijin Rides can be used. Hence, the Wolf Orph would be classified under Kaijin ride.
Rashef
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W, Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Monkey Island

Post by Rashef »

*ptooo* Kamen Kaijin Form Ride - Faiz Wolf Orphenoch!
;p
My Copyright Infringing folder with random assortment of ripped Kamen Rider SFX is found right... HERE.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

Leonite Rider wrote:This is for a fanfic however, which means stuff like Kaijin Rides can be used. Hence, the Wolf Orph would be classified under Kaijin ride.
Pardon my utter lack of understanding, but I thought fanfics were generally written from the perspective of "Things that MIGHT have been"...?

Given Decade's general power set, Takenoko is totally accurate in saying "it would not be anything". It's an impossibility for Decade to use his Decadriver to become anything except an actual Rider. Any story that had his abilities as anything else would fall into the realm of "utterly impossible, and not worth reading".

I'll even give you a reason for labeling it as such...
In a story with known characters in new situations, a reader has to accept the characters as being themselves. This means Decade's abilities, strengths and limitations would HAVE to be enforced to the best of the writer's ability. Otherwise, things that made no sense whatsoever could happen, like Decade using his belt to henshin into Optimus Prime and running over his opponent... and that would just be pointless and silly, wouldn't it?

No matter what characters you write about, you are responsible for them from the start to the finish. If you abuse a character by making them act in ways they would never act, put them in situations they would never allow themselves into, or alter their abilities in any way, you are doing the characters a great disservice... and that is pretty much the opposite of what a fanfic writer should be attempting, isn't it?
Please delete this account.
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight

Post by Leonite Rider »

D_B wrote:
Leonite Rider wrote:This is for a fanfic however, which means stuff like Kaijin Rides can be used. Hence, the Wolf Orph would be classified under Kaijin ride.
Pardon my utter lack of understanding, but I thought fanfics were generally written from the perspective of "Things that MIGHT have been"...?

Given Decade's general power set, Takenoko is totally accurate in saying "it would not be anything". It's an impossibility for Decade to use his Decadriver to become anything except an actual Rider. Any story that had his abilities as anything else would fall into the realm of "utterly impossible, and not worth reading".

I'll even give you a reason for labeling it as such...
In a story with known characters in new situations, a reader has to accept the characters as being themselves. This means Decade's abilities, strengths and limitations would HAVE to be enforced to the best of the writer's ability. Otherwise, things that made no sense whatsoever could happen, like Decade using his belt to henshin into Optimus Prime and running over his opponent... and that would just be pointless and silly, wouldn't it?

No matter what characters you write about, you are responsible for them from the start to the finish. If you abuse a character by making them act in ways they would never act, put them in situations they would never allow themselves into, or alter their abilities in any way, you are doing the characters a great disservice... and that is pretty much the opposite of what a fanfic writer should be attempting, isn't it?
You are partially right on the assumption of what fanfic's are, some are what could have been, some a completely new situations the author creates.

However, I ultimately feel a fafiction is someone creating a story of an already established continuity, even if it only uses the characters or setting. And with fanfiction, it's easy to twist what is and isn't possible (people creating original cards in Yugioh, for example.) And seeing as AWFaiz was the Wolf Orphenoc, but a good guy regardless, fanfiction logic would mean that you could allow the Decadriver to use the Kaijin ride. And given that the DiEndriver, which is simmilar to the Decadriver, can use Kaijin rides, that's even more incentive.

It's not altering the characters, it's an alternative interpretation of the powers they use.
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

^ Fanfiction logic. Hahaha :lol:
I lost The Game!
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

Using your example of creating new cards...
If you wrote a fanfic, and created cards that blatantly broke the actual rules that all the other cards have always followed since the beginning... therefore destroying the very concepts that the story's universe were built upon... would you be writing a legitimate story or would you be just abusing the story for personal pleasure? Would it still be a story about the same world, or would it just be a shadow of what the creator intended it to be with rules and logic ignored for the chaos you introduced to run wildly out of control for no reason?

Good fanfic writers respect the original source material enough to not abuse it. Bad fanfic writers don't, and those disrespectful, selfish writers are why so many people scoff at fanfics in general and make posts like the one directly above this one.

When you write a story using someone else's world, characters and ideas... you should do everything in your power to keep them true to what they were intended to be by their creator. Otherwise, you are just another person adding to the bad reputation that fanfiction has garnered over the years.

I am all for good fanfiction. There is alot of space in many story arcs that could be filled in over time, in order to make a more complete universe for each and every Kamen Rider. But when you set out to intentionally write a story that is not true to those riders, all you have is something that should never even be considered related to the original anymore. You might have great ideas and only the best of intentions when you do it... but it's still just being disrespectful.

Besides... ultimately the LIMITATIONS are what define superheroes even more than their abilities. Give Decade the ability to break his own limitations, and all you have is a story about some guy in spandex that looks a bit like Decade, but can do pretty much anything he wants to do with no restrictions... and that gets boring really fast.

I just don't have a way to try to explain it any more clearly and simply than this... if you love Decade enough to write a fanfic about him, write it ABOUT HIM. Write about Decade's power, his limitations, and keep him true to himself. If you start changing what the character can and cannot do, you are telling us that he was not good enough for you as he was, and telling us you don't care about the original enough to respect his character.
Please delete this account.
Dimension-Crash
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Double/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/Kabuto/Kiva
My boom: Riichi Mahjong

Post by Dimension-Crash »

D_B wrote:Using your example of creating new cards...
If you wrote a fanfic, and created cards that blatantly broke the actual rules that all the other cards have always followed since the beginning... therefore destroying the very concepts that the story's universe were built upon... would you be writing a legitimate story or would you be just abusing the story for personal pleasure? Would it still be a story about the same world, or would it just be a shadow of what the creator intended it to be with rules and logic ignored for the chaos you introduced to run wildly out of control for no reason?

Good fanfic writers respect the original source material enough to not abuse it. Bad fanfic writers don't, and those disrespectful, selfish writers are why so many people scoff at fanfics in general and make posts like the one directly above this one.

When you write a story using someone else's world, characters and ideas... you should do everything in your power to keep them true to what they were intended to be by their creator. Otherwise, you are just another person adding to the bad reputation that fanfiction has garnered over the years.

I am all for good fanfiction. There is alot of space in many story arcs that could be filled in over time, in order to make a more complete universe for each and every Kamen Rider. But when you set out to intentionally write a story that is not true to those riders, all you have is something that should never even be considered related to the original anymore. You might have great ideas and only the best of intentions when you do it... but it's still just being disrespectful.

I just don't have a way to try to explain it any more clearly and simply than this... if you love Decade enough to write a fanfic about him, write it ABOUT HIM. Write about Decade's power, his limitations, and keep him true to himself. If you start changing what the character can and cannot do, you are telling us that he was not good enough for you as he was, and telling us you don't care about the original enough to respect his character.
Okay, this is just ridiculous.

D_B, you seem to be a good writer, and y'know, I really respect that. You can usually tell your opinions fairly clearly, if not very concisely, and you seem to know yourself really well.

But let the guy have his fun.

This isn't some super serious writing we're talking about here - it's fanfiction. Bad reputation? Maybe if you have an overinflated opinion of your own writing ability. Fanfiction is just what it is, fiction by fans, and they can interpret their particular fandoms any which way they choose. Hell, they don't even have to be fans to write about it!

Leonite_Rider is obviously a huge fan of Decade. So much so, he is willing to sacrifice time and energy to produce creative work that is as true to the series as possible while still following the story he wants to tell. I don't think that's disrespectful at all - in fact, I think it should be a huge compliment that the series inspired him to this degree.

And to paraphrase something that you yourself have said, D_B: if you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

Sorry for the necromancy, folks.

Return to “Kamen Rider Decade”