Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Survive Forms

Need Some Viewing Advice

Post by Spinster »

A bit of a preface; I was first introduced to Kamen Rider back in the late 80's and early 90's, when I was still very young. I managed to get my hands on some bootleg VHS of Black and Black RX, plus a few other episodes here and there of various Showa Riders. None of them were subtitled or dubbed, and I had no real idea what was going on as I was somewhere in the range of 6-10 years old, but I adored them for their action and monster fights (I've always been huge on Kaiju and Kaijin stuff). A few years later, I ravenously ate up Saban's Masked Rider, as it was pretty much the only thing around in a pre-internet (at least in my house) world that was Kamen Rider related. When that went off the air, it was more than a decade (HA!) before I encountered Kamen Rider again. A buddy of mine told me he was watching a new series called Kamen Rider Kiva and thought I would enjoy it. I hearkened back to my youth and fond memories of Rider Kicks and exploding men in rubber suits and decided to check it out. I was re-hooked all over again.

I was about midway through Kiva when Decade premiered. The same friend told me about it, that it was going to be an homage to the previous 9 Heisei series. I made the decision to catch up on all of these prior seasons before viewing Decade, so I could put that series in the proper light. It's taken me some time, as I didn't know about TV-Nihon until about half a year ago and was finding episode lumps here and there up until that point.

However, I eventually caught up; I find myself here, about halfway through Ryuki (I've been working my way backwards by season). In a few days, I'll have finished it and will have a dilemma on my hands. Try as I might, I can't seem to find English subs of Kuuga or Agito. I know these are quite some time away from being completed here on TV-Nihon (no rush guys, you all do great work and I adore your subs!). So my question is this: Do I take a break from back seasons for a couple years and wait for those two to be completed before moving on to Decade (still keeping up with OOO and whatever the '11-'12 series will be {I just skipped Decade, I didn't stop there}), or should I watch Decade and come back to Kuuga and Agito when I can, enjoying the 2009 series without having the complete backstory to every season it references?
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Need Some Viewing Advice

Post by XIII »

Decade is completely Alternative Universe to the original series so you can watch Decade at your leisure really, hardly anything from the original series is brought over to the Decade worlds.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

People who haven't seen every other Rider series tend to like it, but complain about the lack of depth and explanations about the AU worlds/characters. That's because you're meant to already know all of that. But they still tend to rate it high because they don't know the characters and can just roll with it. You can watch it and treat the Kuuga/Agito bits as a tease for the actual series.

Also,
Spoiler
there are some bits of Showa in Decade, so no use in waiting for those series to be subbed.
Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Survive Forms

Post by Spinster »

Eh, I don't mind the Showa stuff that much. I've gone back here and there over the past 2 or 3 years and caught up with some really low budget dubs of a lot of the Showa stuff. I doubt they were perfect translations, but I imagine they were close enough.
Aliksandr
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Machinae Supremacy
My boom: League of Legends
Quote: I like tacos.

Post by Aliksandr »

I actually started watching Decade first after I did some research after I first heard of Kamen Rider. I've decided that I'll go back and watch it again once I've caught up on all or at least most of the earlier Heisei rider shows.

Not only that but I've been recommending all of my friends who are interested in getting into Kamen Rider that they watch Decade first as well. The way I figure it is that if can get into Decade you can use it as a stepping stone to launch yourself into another Heisei show.

It won't spoil anything to watch it early, as you may already know. Just at this point without Kuuga and Agito subbed it's not feasible to wait around to watch Decade, the show is a real treat all on it's own!
genesisclimber7
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Mospeada
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: ---
I'm just a passing through Kamen Rider.

Post by genesisclimber7 »

I've been watching Decade with only passing familiarity with most of the previous shows and I like it. So far it has made me want to watch Kiva when I finish watching Decade and Dragon Knight/Ryuki (watching a little of both versions).

And I see lots of Doctor Who influence on Decade, a house Tardis, dimension travel, traveling companions, etc. The divide between Showa and Heisei era can even be similar to Doctor Who's fan camps, I find!
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

ry as I might, I can't seem to find English subs of Kuuga or Agito
you can find both on the internet

I finished kuuga less the a week ago and now I am on agito.

Kuuga went fast but agito is slow, avg download speed is like 20k/s

Return to “Kamen Rider Decade”