Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Language, food, entertainment, we like it all
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Post by takenoko » Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 pm

https://kotaku.com/the-complex-problem- ... 1834942214

It's also weird when they switch the names, but don't do it for all the names. Like in From's recent game Sekiro, it has Japanese and English tracks. For the Japanese on, Nogami Gensai announces his name that way. But his brother is Inosuke Nogami. Thanks for that!

It's even that way on the wiki:

https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fext ... uke+Nogami
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fext ... ami+Gensai

If you're a westerner not familiar with which is the family name, would you have realized that Nogami was the family name and these guys were brothers?

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Post by Catastrophe » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 pm

So it was a change they introduced themselves to make it easier to relate to the Americans and the Chinese and Koreans didn't do it and now they want to change back?

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald

Post by takenoko » Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Did they have a choice? I imagine a lot of the Americanization that happened post World War II was compulsory

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe » Thu May 23, 2019 5:00 am

The article says that the changed happened in the Meiji era, which was before WW2. Quite a lot of modernising/westernising happening during the Meiji era.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko » Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 am

Oh, I didn't read that. My mistake!

CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Not Fiveman
2nd Favorite Series: Not Kyuuranger
Favorite Band: [Anything 80s rock]
My boom: NHL

Post by CheetahLynx » Fri May 31, 2019 11:35 pm

You know, the more I think about this, the more confused my bias gets, if that makes sense. To the point where I almost want to say "just keep it as it is"

But then my thought process reverts to "well, we do it for the Chinese and Korean, why not the Japanese?" And then I keep thinking counter-arguments and why should follow tradition and why they shouldn't, and then my gut comes up an goes "just change it already"

It's funny how I'm having this massive internal conflict inside my head, almost civil-war-ish, over a language I can barely understand. (I do try)

One of the reasons I keep coming back for subs is because you guys follow the traditional way, so I guess that's where I standon the matter. But then again, I don't know why I'm getting so worked up over an issue that, quite frankly, isn't really going to affect my personal life.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watch but there's a 255 character limit. *shrugs* Oh well.
Watching: Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger, Kamen Rider Zi-O

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”