Wiki Link
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Can they do that?

Post by FangTrigger »

I read a crap ton of manga and watch even more anime, so I have a question: Can middle and high schoolers really live alone in their own apartments? I know that most anime is fiction, but this is a recurring theme in many of them. At first, I thought it was just a popular concept that all artists used, but now I'm genuinely curious.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Re: Can they do that?

Post by Miyagishin »

20 is the age of adulthood so a Japanese citizen can not own an apartment legally until that age.

15 is the age a Japanese citizen can get a job, so if you can afford rent then yes, you can live alone. I imagine if you go to school far away your allowed to live in your own apartment, as long as the rent is paid. I think you can live alone before that age too. I'm not sure of consent laws in japan (if your parents have to sign off on anything.)

In contrast if you are from the US, in most states, if you are under 18 you have to have someone sign a consent form to live somewhere other then your home residence.

These kids are usually rich or from wealthy family's if they have the ability to do this.

-I did a little research -have had friends who live and have lived in japan for more then a year -and stayed there a bit myself. Those are my sources.

Hope that helps?!
Spoiler
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Are most of these kids orphans of some sort?

Middle school seems way too young. If you're that young you're probably living with relatives if you don't live with your parents. Kengo from Fourze lived in an apartment that his relatives paid for, but that's a fictional example. I really don't know if that really happens in reality.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for your question!
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

Actually yeah, what mangas/ animes are you watching that these children live alone? :lol:
Spoiler
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Mostly comedy/action anime where the parents are pretty much never around and you only see the main character living either alone or with their sibling (be they younger or older.) Think, Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai or Baka and Test. I haven't really looked outside of that genre though.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”