Wiki Link
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Favourite Japanese games

Post by jolly_old_saint »

takenoko wrote:Blah blah final fantasy unlimited blah.
Not a game. Also not the best example of quirkiness. For a combination of quirk and quality that's Rushmore. And for sheer levels of quirkiness, it would have to be Urotsukidoji III: Return of the Overfiend. Neither of which are games, but you started it.

As for the hundred plus final fantasy games, three quarters of them remakes of the fourth, I wouldn't consider any to be "medieval heavy." Well....ignoring the backwards talk, friendly dragons, and moon people with arbitrary capital letters in their name. That shit was all over the place in medieval times. But as the narrator from the first episode of kamen rider the mage called wizard said, "magic was totes considered a science before society sold out to actual science." Its best as such not to dwell on the difference and find something more tangible to complain about. Like the beard quality of each Cid.

My favorite japanese game is human murder scrabble. But for plebeians, a good one is Super Robot Wars Zet Two Hyphen B Saisei Hang On Let's Just Call It Zet Two Hyphen B Cause Otherwise It Would Be Really Confusing Right? Or SRWZTHBSHOLJCIZTO-BCOIWBRCR? As the kids call it.
Icingdeth
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Gundam, Tokusatsu
Quote: One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth. ~ Char Aznable
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Icingdeth »

I would have to say that my favourite games would be the Tales series, Dynasty Warriors, the Final Fantasy Series(only the numbered ones omitting remakes), Devil May Cry Series(1-4), and last but not least Pokemon.

Oh yeah Eternal Sonata(made by the same group that makes the Tales Series)
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

would record of agarest war zero count? ive only just started the game. what i did not know when i bought it was that it had harem undertones in it. dont get me wrong i like the game i just wish i knew what i was getting myself into.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

JujinSan wrote:would record of agarest war zero count? ive only just started the game. what i did not know when i bought it was that it had harem undertones in it. dont get me wrong i like the game i just wish i knew what i was getting myself into.
That's why I don't play any NIS or Compile Heart games. Just WAAAY to ridiculous for me.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

I started playing games with Japanese titles, Super Mario Brothers on the NES, and through out my life it's been what I've mostly played. Some of my favorites are the Disgaea series (nuts to you revorse with your 'waaay too ridiculous), Metal Gear series especially Revengeance, Brave Fencer Musashi, Tales of Destiny and Vesperia, anything by Platinum/Clover, Deadly Premonitions despite the game control issues, more than a few Final Fantasy games, even after it got more 'science-y'. The strategy RPGs released by Alice Soft, the stories by Type Moon... There's just, just too much, there's so many Japanese games to pick from for a 'favorite' I just love so many games in general, and the majority of them are Japanese.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Breath of Fire 2. Followed by the Mario series, followed by Pokémon, followed by misc. Nintendo stuff like Smash.
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I think the only japanese game I have ever play and own are the Dynasty Warriors Series. I started with Number 4. Then the One Piece Version came out and I bought that.
Although there is this one particular game that comes to mind. The Legend of Dragoon. I think that was my first rpg game to play. Game so big it needed 4 disc back in the day.
ShadowThePika
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 1
Dreamy: GokaiYellow
Favorite Band: Crush 40
My boom: Sonic Adventure 2
Quote: "It all starts with this. A jewel containing the ultimate power."

Post by ShadowThePika »

I would say sonic adventure 2... since sonic is my favorite series. but SEGA is an american company (atleast they started as one and still heavily are influenced by their US Divisions)

But for strictly Japanese games... It's hard to say. I have been contemplating my top video games for way too long, alot of them are Japanese games (not as many as I initially thought, but alot). I'll just rattle off a bunch of series/developers and favorite games (favorites in parenthesis), and hopefully cause someone sensory overload...

3d Mario (sunshine), 3d Zelda (Twilight Princess), Pokemon (Ruby & Sapphire), Platinum Games (Madworld), Namco Bandai (they make alot of good games, probably favorite is Soul Calibur V. Made alot of sentai characters in that, btw),Super Smash Bros (Melee), Megaman X (X1), Metal Gear (Metal Gear Solid), Kirby (Kirby's Adventure), Warioware (Mega Party Games), Mario RPG games (Besides Mario RPG, something about Square Enix games all bug me), Contra (Contra 1), Misc games include Little Nemo the Dream Master, Yoshi's Island, Starfox Assault,

For the hell of it, favorite import game is Kamen Rider Chou Climax Heroes, simply because it's really fun and my only other favorite is my Japanese copy of Pokemon Platinum.
what people want to do to me after talking to me...

http://www.youtube.com/shadowthepika, for whenever I post content on it.
kivat

Post by kivat »

my list, most in this list includes all most all the games in the series of that game:
monster hunter
pokemon
god eater (great monster hunter clone but somewhat better)
phantasy star online 1 and 2 and 4, portable 1 and 2
Disgaea
shin megami tensei
persona (only 1,3,4)
devil summoner
FaeQueenCory
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider ΑgitΩ
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Favorite Band: Kiryu
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: H0mestuck
Quote: FAA: i think
FAA: it was m0re likely just an0ther inevitability
FAA: a pr0duct 0f c0llusi0n between the disparate f0rces at play
FAA: a bargain struck between what skaia kn0ws already and what the g0ds demand up fr0nt
FAA: t0gether they 0rchestrate trials sufficient t0 ensure
FAA: that in 0verc0ming them we w0uld be pr0ven w0rthy
FAA: 0f inheriting the ultimate reward

Post by FaeQueenCory »

Alessar wrote:I'm all about the Shin Megami Tensei series and its spinoffs (Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor). I used to be really big into Final Fantasy but I felt the stories in the last several were really bad. As far as I'm concerned, 12 and 13 had the exact same plot. (I'm hopeful for 15, though.)
Um.... what? To quote Asuka Langely Soryuu: "Anta~ BAKA!?"
Persona isn't Shin Megami Tensei. It's Megami Ibunroku. It was made as the "easy mode SMT".
And Digital Devil Saga was made as "easy mode Persona"... which is sad... because none of the MIPs have been really hard... not like real SMTs.
Megami Ibunroku is a side franchise of the Megami Tensei franchise parallel to Shin Megami Tensei... not a subfranchise of SMT like Devil Survivor or Devil Summoner are.

And how can you say FF12 and FF13 had "the exact same plot".... but are hopeful for FF15.... which is actually a part of FF13... just with a rename.
Did you miss that whole FFversus-XIII = FFXV?
I'm not sure you played all of FF12... or 13... because one actually had a plot. (It was just buried under hours of grind... 5 story bosses = poor pacing. But it was ripped out of an MMO... so I'm not sure anything else could have been expected.)

EDIT: Obviously I like the RPGs... Not a huge fan of Tales, but I love Phantasia/Symphonia.... mostly because the heroes kinda ruin the world in one... and kill the "bad guy" because he's the "bad guy" in the other... even though he was just trying to save his people....
SMT is my favorite... because I love Religion... and it does that right.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Super Robot Taisen and Tales Series.
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

The last one for me was Dark Souls. I freaked out with this game.
The King Of Fighters series is in my heart since my teens.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Not counting franchises that have also had a strong presence in the North American games market from the get-go...

I got into Fire Emblem in a big way when I got Sacred Stones through the 3DS' Ambassador Program. I can't help but wonder if the series would be as big internationally as Final Fantasy and Zelda and such if Nintendo had been localizing it since the NES days...

And I tried Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when ProJared made quite a convincing argument for it's quality, and according to my 3DS' records, it's the game I've clocked the second-most hours in (not counting the internet browser) and have the third longest average play time at an hour and seven minutes. (Fire Emblem: Awakening being number one in both of those categories.)
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

FaeQueenCory wrote:Um.... what? To quote Asuka Langely Soryuu: "Anta~ BAKA!?"
Persona isn't Shin Megami Tensei.
Really? Because I'm looking at the box-art for Persona 3 right now and it says "Shin Megami Tensei" on it. =?
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Most of the games I play are from Japan, so it's kind of a hard question.

I play a lot of RPGs. Mother/EarthBound, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, pre-Playstation Final Fantasy. I liked the Kingdom Hearts series, but just like so many other things, I kind of lost interest when the fan girls got a hold of it. :roll:

I also play a lot of import titles of various genres. Mostly fan translations of RPGs that never made it here, and anime games. Of course, I've got roms of the Carranger, Jetman, and Zyuranger games. Most of the imports I play are Super Famicom games, so I bought an actual SFC controller to use with my Super Retroport. I own an actual SNES as well, and want to start collecting Super Famicom cartridges when money isn't so tight. I already cut out the tabs with a Dremel.

Besides that, Mario Kart, early Sonic, Zelda, the usual suspects.
Last edited by TBustah! on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”