Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Favourite Japanese games

Post by Alessar »

FaeQueenCory wrote: Persona isn't Shin Megami Tensei. It's Megami Ibunroku.
SPINOFF. And they are all branded under the umbrella aegis of SMT here in the states, anyway.

As far as saying FF 12 and 13 have about the same plot, I completely stand by it. Both games distill down to "Big bads manipulate protagonists to grind levels and then do what the big bads want them to do in the end, anyway, making all of their decisions pretty much pointless." Contrast that to 10 where Yuna took that "Ultimate Summons" vicious cycle of Sin schtick and shoved it right up Yunalesca and Yu-Yevon's You-know-whats. As far as 15, well as it was Versus 13 originally I'm expecting it to actually HAVE a plot.
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

Cho Aniki
novem15er
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Koyomi
Favorite Actor?: Ray Fujita
Favorite Band: X Japan, SOPHIA
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Imaginary Stories
Quote: "I am... the Oncoming Storm, the Destroyer of Worlds, the Lonely God, the Predator..."

Post by novem15er »

I grew up with Contra and Super Mario Bros. (first games I ever finished, All time favorites) then there's Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy 3, Metal Gear Series, Drummania and Guitar Freaks...

...also, Finder Love: Aki Hoshino 8)
Coldfission
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Coldfission »

I grew up on Nintendo, so it was Zelda and Pokemon for me. Discovered Metroid, played more Zelda, and dabbled in Final Fantasy in my teens. Early college was Kingdom Hearts, Phoenix Wright, and more Final Fantasy and Zelda. I currently discovered and fallen in love with the Tales series by impulsively picking up Tales of the Abyss for my 3DS, and I'm planning in buying more of the series.
shadow1w2
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Drive
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by shadow1w2 »

Now that you ask I can't think of which are Japanese or not.
Hmm

Lots of Sega games :3
The original three Sonic games count.
Nights into dreams counts.
Does Daytona USA count? lol Not sure about that one.
Guardian Heroes and most games by Treasure

Shin Megami Tensei series though I rarely finish RPGs.
Crazy shoot em ups ofcourse.... all of em
Kingdom Granpri by Eighting is one of my most favorite shoot em ups! Racing with crazy space ship shooting.
The other games in the same series like Dimahoo are good too.

Does Bayonetta count? Platinum Games is mostly Japanese.

And uh, well Nintendo games count more or less.
I can play most Japanese games without knowing Japanese with my knowledge of game inner workings so I play those from time to time.

OH oh! Cyber Sled was one of my favorites in the arcade.

UN Squadren or Area 88 in Japan is also a favorite on the SNES.

I could list too many but ya love me my arcade games.
bobgoesw00t
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Survivor
2nd Favorite Series: AFV
Dreamy: Hikari Netto/Kyouhei
Favorite Actor?: Milla Jovovich
Favorite Band: I have too many atm
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Greyskyshippinh
Quote: Squadala, we're off!!!!!

Post by bobgoesw00t »

At the moment it's Tales of Xillia. I'm not gonna be playing it at all this week as I'm at Holden Beach, North Carolina for my sisters wedding. But my local Gamestop has my pre-ordered copy with them as I type this so I should be able to pick it up on Sunday afternoon when I get home. My other favortie game doesn't really count as its an MMORPG from South Korea but it has some Anime style graphic, Aion: The Tower of Eternity. One of my characters has a chest armor piece that looks like a wetsuit and ZOMFG, I GO GAGA OVER HIM EVERYTIME I PLAY HIM!!! So much in fact that I want to make out with him...:3
DERP DER HERPITY DERP
PolarPhantom
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
My boom: It changes so often.
Quote: It's time for Toku!

Post by PolarPhantom »

REVENGEANCE
Peblo
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Peblo »

I love fighting games, and from them, my favourite saga is Tekken. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is such a great and complete experience in many ways for fighting game fans. I also like Street Fighter and KOF sagas, SF3:3rd Strike and KOF'99 being my favourites.

Aside fighting games, I have a crush on ninjas since childhood, so I play to any game that has ninjas on it (quite a huge list xD) I'd pick Shinobi series and Tenchu.

Also there's one game that has a sweet spot in my heart since psx days. It's a platforming/quest-rpg-ish called Tombi! in Spain (Tomba! in the rest of the world xD) That game is AWESOME! I really loved the sense of humor of that game. The second installement was also very good, but not as great as the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ClFookNdM

PD.WoW, it was AGES since my last post xD
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

Well, "Japanese" isn't really a restriction unless you are very young and playing almost only FPS :P

With the XBOX as possible exception, anyone playing on consoles is going to consider japanese games and the answers are just lists of well known good games.
PC gaming in Japan simply ins't really a thing so there's something to be expected.

I.E.: Daytona USA (listed above) was made by AM2. That's like saying Sega: Arcade division.

If I had to name a single game, I'd say Star Ocean for the SNES, considered the successor to Tales of Phantasia.
Even recent JRPGs can't old a candle to that gameplay and character growth, especially considering they made sequels and other games under the "Tales of" title.
100% of the franchise glitter and 0% of the talented people behind it.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”