Forum rules
Wiki Link
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Possibly moving to Japan

Post by Leonsagara »

So, I got a job offer at the Iwakuni base over there. Still rather undecided about whether to accept it or not, since I'm not sure about so many things, but mainly whether I'll be able to afford to live there. I would really like to do it though, just so nervous about making it all work. Any advice that those of you that have been in Japan can offer would be awesome, particularly in regards to finding an apartment.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Possibly moving to Japan

Post by Lunagel »

If you accept you should ask whoever's bringing you over there to find you an apartment because it's ridiculously hard to find an apartment on your own. They should have some kind of system set up to help people with that already.

Really, the cost of living in Tokyo is the killer bit, if you live outside of Tokyo proper it's fairly affordable. Food can be really cheap and if you're wise with your money then there's really no problem and you can even save up quite a bit.
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Leonsagara »

I'm in Iwakuni now. Temporarily staying in the hotel on base until my immigration status gets changed and I can legally rent an apartment. Already found a good place, just need the correct status and the housing office on base to help with the paperwork and I should be good. It's pretty cheap, about $450 a month.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Nice. How was the move?
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Leonsagara »

It was pretty long, but I've been adjusting well. Jet lag was bad for a few days, but I got through it. I've been out in the town a few times and taken the bus to the local tourist attraction. I'm currently trying to decide between two apartments, but leaning toward the slightly cheaper one that should be available in a few days. Does anyone know anything about this movie: http://www.hakujaoh.jp/? I've seen flyers for it all over town.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Looks like one of those local superheroes
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Leonsagara »

Yeah, I thought it might be something like that after I looked into it a bit more. It seems like it might be a play or musical of some type, but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, I discovered that the name refers to a white snake, which Iwakuni is well-known for.

Edit: and more research led me here: http://www.japan-heros.com/?p=1719&lang=en, so it seems that it actually is a movie, but based on a character that was created for stage productions, so I wasn't too far off.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”