Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

The trouble with raws

Post by takenoko »

Just to start, this problem is okay now, I just wanted to tell you guys a story to give you an idea of what we do to make these subs. So here's your peek behind the kimono.

This is a story about capping Garo -Makai Retsuden- 08.

So a couple days ago, Luna let me know that Garo might get delayed because of the ?French tennis stuff airing. Since Garo airs at the sensible time of 1:23 AM Friday night, this stuff becomes a nuisance during times of international sports because that's when people around the globe are wake. (I'm pretty sure we've lost raws to Ping Pong tournaments before)

I volunteered to stay up and watch the capper. Since our software and hardware is flaky, unsupported, and sites about it are hit by anti-piracy Japanese agencies, it's pretty amazing that we're able to cap raws at all. Anyway, one nice feature of the program is that it'll give me a schedule of the programs that's updated live. I got up a bit early and saw that Garo was delayed to 2:13 AM. Fine, I set a timer for it to record and go back to sleep.

I get up again during the usual capping time to see if anything's changed. Oh, it's now airing at 1:45 AM, plus the show that airs before Garo is airing now. So there shouldn't be anymore changes to the schedule. I cancel the current recording and restart it, with the intention of manually shutting it down. Then I stop and think "Wait a moment, if I just let this record, the raw file is going to be pretty big. It's already 3-4 gb for a 30 minute show). So I do the sensible thing and set it to start recording at 1:40 instead.

So I go lie down for a nap again. (I sleep a lot on Friday mornings since it's my day off). I get up around 1:50ish and go, oh wait, I should check to make sure it started. Here's where our technology problems comes in. Sometimes the capper doesn't load the video, and in this case, it hadn't. It had been recording 7 minutes of static. I quickly restart the program and start recording, but I missed the first 10 minutes or so.

Luckily, Darkaura saved us with his backup recording. You see, normally Garo airs from 1:23-1:53. So he had the missing footage that we lost. We should be able to stitch them together so no one notices a difference.

But yeah, that's a life in the day of a fansubber.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Re: The trouble with raws

Post by njb »

French Open? LOL

Maybe the shows went earlier than 2:13 AM because a match finished earlier than expected
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, basically. The schedule was still in flux when I checked the first time.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Wait, GARO normally airs in the middle of the night? That seems a rather odd time to schedule it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

They don't call it hyper midnight action for no reason! You think they can air boobies before midnight?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote:They don't call it hyper midnight action for no reason! You think they can air boobies before midnight?
I really don't know what Japan's broadcast regulations are but my understanding is here in the UK after 10pm basically anything goes (Provided it sticks to the normal rules on advertising). Certainly I'd have thought sticking a show on at 1am was a surefire way to guarantee low viewing figures.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I feel like Garo's always had low ratings. It certainly has a cult following though. It's amazing that it's lasted these last 10 years.

First season of Garo's ratings:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo#Chronology

It doesn't get much better when it gets up to Makai Senki:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_~Maka ... Chronology

I don't think we've had statistics on ratings since then, that's why we do our own polls to see.

Also, the 1:23AM Friday night timeslot has been the Garo time slot since Yami wo Terasu Mono in 2013. Like all the Garo TV shows and animes have had that slot if it aired on TV (usually on channel TV Tokyo). Makai Senki looks like it played at 1:45 AM, also TV Tokyo.
nbajammer
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Wizard
Dreamy: Miu Sutou
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu

Post by nbajammer »

Thanks for this post - I had often wondered how you guys (i.e., sub groups in general) got your raws and what all that entails. Looking forward to the release!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I volunteered to stay up and watch the capper. Since our software and hardware is flaky, unsupported, and sites about it are hit by anti-piracy Japanese agencies,
What's wrong with your hardware?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I honestly don't know. We suspect that it's poor quality Taiwanese hardware, cobbled together by pirates, and miraculously openly sold on Amazon Japan.

To actually answer your question, the program needs to initialize the TV program, and for some reason it won't load. So usually the video will say 1440x1080 resolution in the corner, when it messes up, that number is 0x0. So instead of automating it, I usually try to pop in and babysit it to make sure everything works.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

HowlingSnail wrote:
takenoko wrote:They don't call it hyper midnight action for no reason! You think they can air boobies before midnight?
I really don't know what Japan's broadcast regulations are but my understanding is here in the UK after 10pm basically anything goes (Provided it sticks to the normal rules on advertising). Certainly I'd have thought sticking a show on at 1am was a surefire way to guarantee low viewing figures.
Actually, violence, swearing, and nudity can be shown any time after 9pm in the UK, that's the watershed.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

That's a pretty wild series of events. I hope you guys all know that we appreciate everything that goes into making these fansubs, even if we do rail an episode every now and then :)

I'm kind of confused about how sports running long plays into the Japanese TV schedule. I've worked in NASCAR for years and the races frequently run past the time the broadcasting channel set aside for the end of the race. In those cases, the race is usually ported to a different channel under the original channel's umbrella (FOX to Fox Sports 1, for instance), and any shows that would normally be scheduled start midway whenever the broadcast ends. For instance, if a re-run of Friends was to air at 11:30pm, and the race went to 11:47pm, it would filp over to Friends after the race, but the first 17 minutes would be cut off. I'm guessing that Garo and the show before were broadcast in full, just at whatever time the Tennis ended?
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Well there's the thing then, most of the time they schedule these events to go over onto reruns, not first airing episodes. For reruns no one really cares but for a first airing, if you lose the first 17 minutes then you have no idea what's going on.

Also, TV Tokyo isn't actually a 24 hour network, they start at about 4:23 every morning and go until about maybe 3 am-4am, depending on the day. A couple of days they won't have much off-air time, but some they do, and that means any shows pushed back will just eat into that off-air time, so no big loss.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I honestly don't know. We suspect that it's poor quality Taiwanese hardware, cobbled together by pirates, and miraculously openly sold on Amazon Japan.

To actually answer your question, the program needs to initialize the TV program, and for some reason it won't load. So usually the video will say 1440x1080 resolution in the corner, when it messes up, that number is 0x0. So instead of automating it, I usually try to pop in and babysit it to make sure everything works.
Now you have me interested in just what you're using. I had figured you were using a Hauppauge card or the like, but this sounds far more interesting. :D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I can just show you. It's no secret:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005QY3K8E/

It's the FRIIOSKY with TV Test and TV Rock (I think) as the programs that run it. Ha, all the reviews are bad. Kind of funny

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”