Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Japan uses two electric frequencies?

Post by takenoko »

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/y ... o-a-story/

Under the 60 Hertz story. Apparently Japan uses two different standards and maybe is the only country in the world that does this?

When the Fukushima accident happen, they tried to funnel some electricity from one side to the other side of the country, but they couldn't because of the difference. Sounds like a royal pain.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Japan uses two electric frequencies?

Post by Catastrophe »

THat's pretty neat. Never heard that before.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Apparently the LA conversion was before the big Hollywood boom. So the population was small enough for the crazy amount of work to convert it was possible. Like almost everything electronic had to be replaced or fixed to run efficiently on the new frequency. For example, clocks use the frequency to keep track of time. Clocks on the wrong frequency lost about 10 minutes every hour.

Japan wants to unify their system, but that'd mean the populace would need to basically replace all their gear that doesn't work with the new frequency. Speaking of which, how does that even work? Is this a well known problem that Japanese hardware manufacturers build around or are there two standards for electronics in Japan? Luna?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I mean, I've never had a problem? And I've traveled around so I've used both systems apparently albeit unknowingly. Is there really much difference for electronics except for clocks?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Some older appliances, like microwaves and washing machines would not work if used with the incorrect frequency. Nowadays, I think most electronics are made to be either 50 or 60 Hz compatible, so there isn't much of an issue.

The issue is mostly for power redistribution in cause of things like the 2011 tsunami. I don't think they'll get around to unifying it. The fact that the last time they openly discussed doing it was 1945 and it was deemed to be too expensive then, I doubt they'll ever actually get around to doing it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's what I was wondering. I guess they just optimize their devices to work with both systems.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

most portable electronic devices can operate anywhere in the world regardless of frequinces due to the power adapters that do all the switching work.

alot of newer tech also features this functionality. so its probably stuff that is over a certain age would need to be replaced, although id imagine that they would put some adapter up for sale to get around this issue in the short term.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

From Japan Times:

Japan’s incompatible power grids
As Japan sweats through this summer of inadequate power, many more people now know that there are different electrical supply systems in eastern and western Japan, and that the two systems are incompatible. This is such a crazy situation that I’d really be interested to know the history behind it. Can you find out how the heck it came about?
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”