Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Japan works people to death

Post by takenoko »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/w ... -1.3542948

Interesting story, but for a moment, it seemed like the writer had the two women confused. Since it said Sado was the one who committed suicide earlier. But now it's corrected.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Japan works people to death

Post by Catastrophe »

Government is looking to cap overtime at 100 hours.

Hahaha. Nice solution.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

I knew there was a past thread covering this. And then, there is this thread about Japanese family life is falling apart.

Uhhh.... don't you think the two are related? If you have a workaholic culture that encourages 149 overtime hours in a month, that time has to come from somewhere, doesn't it? Since there is only 24 hours a day, that 149 hours has to come from sleeping, socializing, family time, and so on.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Anecdotally, it is also a contributing factor as to why the birth rate is so low.

I know it's a big cultural thing, but they really need to seriously rework labour laws to be more in line with the rest of the developed world.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

You say that like the western world is a paragon of well cared for employees. We have copious issues too.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Care to elaborate? Every Western country I've worked in other than the United States has had excellent guidelines and rules for employee work rates and overtime caps to prevent this sort of shit. There might be differences between various fields of work.

I work in Medical Sciences, which is already bad enough when it comes to overworking staff, and was outsourced to the RIKEN in Kobe for 2 years. The unwritten expectation of employees to work after hours and on weekends was insane. I worked with one woman that had a mental breakdown at work in the middle of the day. Shit, if Japan copied the United States employment model, it would be a significant increase, and that's saying a lot.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”