Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Language, food, entertainment, we like it all
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Post by takenoko »

https://kotaku.com/the-complex-problem- ... 1834942214

It's also weird when they switch the names, but don't do it for all the names. Like in From's recent game Sekiro, it has Japanese and English tracks. For the Japanese on, Nogami Gensai announces his name that way. But his brother is Inosuke Nogami. Thanks for that!

It's even that way on the wiki:

https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fext ... uke+Nogami
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fext ... ami+Gensai

If you're a westerner not familiar with which is the family name, would you have realized that Nogami was the family name and these guys were brothers?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Let's use Japanese naming order already!

Post by Catastrophe »

So it was a change they introduced themselves to make it easier to relate to the Americans and the Chinese and Koreans didn't do it and now they want to change back?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Did they have a choice? I imagine a lot of the Americanization that happened post World War II was compulsory
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The article says that the changed happened in the Meiji era, which was before WW2. Quite a lot of modernising/westernising happening during the Meiji era.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I didn't read that. My mistake!
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

You know, the more I think about this, the more confused my bias gets, if that makes sense. To the point where I almost want to say "just keep it as it is"

But then my thought process reverts to "well, we do it for the Chinese and Korean, why not the Japanese?" And then I keep thinking counter-arguments and why should follow tradition and why they shouldn't, and then my gut comes up an goes "just change it already"

It's funny how I'm having this massive internal conflict inside my head, almost civil-war-ish, over a language I can barely understand. (I do try)

One of the reasons I keep coming back for subs is because you guys follow the traditional way, so I guess that's where I standon the matter. But then again, I don't know why I'm getting so worked up over an issue that, quite frankly, isn't really going to affect my personal life.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/media/ja ... index.html

I get why most people probably don't want to do it, but it seems like it'll be confusing regardless. Most people expect a western order when coming from English speaking countries.

But when encountering a Japanese name, it always feels like a crapshoot on whether it's family name first (Asian style) or given name first (western style). Unless people are familiar with family names, it's pretty easy to see them swapped around.

I even see it here. If I quizzed people on stuff like
"Is Fuwa his given name or family name"
"What's Fuwa's other name and is that his family name or given name"
"What does it mean when Fuwa calls her Yaiba, while Gai calls her Yua"
"Is Gai his given name or last name?"

How many would people get right?

I really like translating Japanese stuff because there's so much significance to everything. The way people address each other, the way honorifics are used or not used. It's a lot of granularities of meaning that are kind of fun to unpack and discover.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Me likes it this way, as I mean, follow the order what the character itself pronounced, not by naming rules for only western or asian. I like subs that followed this. If there is a Japanese guy that introduced Kinji Takigawa, then use this. If he said his name is Hiden Aruto, then use this. I like when subs is mostly coherent with the speech used by the characters
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

hiro9796 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 am Me likes it this way, as I mean, follow the order what the character itself pronounced, not by naming rules for only western or asian. I like subs that followed this. If there is a Japanese guy that introduced Kinji Takigawa, then use this. If he said his name is Hiden Aruto, then use this. I like when subs is mostly coherent with the speech used by the characters
You're lucky you are in the right place. This is the rule we never break unless our translators: takenoko, Lunagel‎, and xiiliea change their minds for some reason and post up announcement to let us know.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”