Japanese working on adding subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing?

Language, food, entertainment, we like it all
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Japanese working on adding subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing?

Post by takenoko »

So I received my copy of Reiwa the First Generation today. I was looking at the back to see if they had subtitles, and to my surprise, they did! (Usually subtitles only appeared on summer movies previously)

But there was a weird term for it. Barrier free Japanese subtitles. I was like what is that?

http://cinematheque.jp/barrierfree

Oh okay, so I guess that's what they're calling subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing. In addition to dialogue, it includes sound and music descriptions. I mean, previous subtitles had them too, but now they're making a special effort to support this for the deaf and hard of hearing, I guess?

In any case, that's very exciting for us as translators, since it's obviously a lot easier to translate if we have a copy of the script. It looks like the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications had plans to have all broadcast TV subtitled by 2017. (Hint, Garo -Versus Road- on Tokyo MX does not have subtitles so I guess they missed that goal)

But this is heartening for us. Currently we get subtitles with the Rider and Sentai shows. And ones that show in movie theaters. And that was more or less it.

If it's direct to DVD or has a limited theater run, no subtitles. (Like Geiz Majesty to use a recent example). Like even Garo -Gekkou no Tabibito- didn't have Japanese subtitles (they had English subtitles because it screened at an international movie festival though). Hope to see more things get subtitled in the future.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Japanese working on adding subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing?

Post by Lunagel »

"Barrier Free" is a catch-all term used to refer to anything that has been modified in such a way as to be easily used by anyone with disabilities. Barrier Free bathrooms are wide, with handlebars for the toilet (and some facilities even have places to drain catheter bags). Some buses are equipped with hydraulics to raise or lower the bus so there is no step up required. Pretty much all city sidewalks have grooved tiles fitted in for blind people to walk on, which change to dotted tiles at intersections.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So it's like lowering the barrier as much as possible? I get it now
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It's like making sure there aren't any barriers in the way of a normal life. Stuff like a wheelchair-accessible (and traversable) apartment or elevators, or the station attendant being there with a ramp to help you get on the train easily. There's lots of movement to try and make the country more friendly to disabled people, although it's really difficult still for wheelchairs :/ everything's just too narrow
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Well, small improvement are better than no improvement at all.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”