Type: ISFJ Protector

Two arrested for selling custom Kamen Rider figure

Post by takenoko »

gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Re: Two arrested for selling custom Kamen Rider figure

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

I've read about this on sankaku and HJU.

Apparently the two guys were fairly well known in the fanbase.
Now, some forumers are protesting that Japanese police should focus on corrupt government officials or anything other than these two, some even saying that what they did are legal, and can be compared to doujin manga and fanart.

Now it is true, that modifying toys are very legal, there are quite a number of magazines that show you how to do so, even.

But what they did wrong was making money out of it, and getting caught. Apparently you need some sort of license to sell custom or modified toys, especially when you modify them to likenesses of certain characters that are copyrighted by their companies/authors.
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

gh0stwrit3r wrote:But what they did wrong was making money out of it, and getting caught. Apparently you need some sort of license to sell custom or modified toys, especially when you modify them to likenesses of certain characters that are copyrighted by their companies/authors.
Don't people in Japan sells this kind of stuff on Comiket?
If they can sell doujins, custom figures and other stuff there, why didn't they get caught as well?
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

It's probably because these guys make good money. Do the others make good money, or just average.
profpoyo
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by profpoyo »

pity them..
for doujin it is actually illegal and the publisher can ask for any group or doujin-ka to stop publishing it
but the publisher let it pass since it gives free advertisement and give chances for new talent to bloom
a magazine in my country said that Bandai tried to stop people from modding SIC back in 2004 but they failed to do that
DJ Era
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Dreamy: Aino Minako
Favorite Actor?: Wataru
Favorite Band: Many to mention

Post by DJ Era »

For me everybody has the right to sell their own custom design as long as it does not violate any law particularly on copyright infringement.
Map
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: W/Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Decade/Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: AC/DC

Post by Map »

Wha? Utopia Dopant is copyrighted?
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Yeah? Every creature and hero design on these shows is copyrighted by virtue of being designed for and appearing in the show. The copyright holders would have given zero craps about this had the item never gone up for sale in so public a manner and brought in such a high price.
bobgoesw00t
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Survivor
2nd Favorite Series: AFV
Dreamy: Hikari Netto/Kyouhei
Favorite Actor?: Milla Jovovich
Favorite Band: I have too many atm
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Greyskyshippinh
Quote: Squadala, we're off!!!!!

Post by bobgoesw00t »

wow, that's kinda sad and silly all at the same time IMO.
DERP DER HERPITY DERP
SwordHero1
Kamen Knight

Post by SwordHero1 »

Apollo Geist, still being a nuisance after he's modified.

Unless there were plans of selling an official Utopia Dopant figure in the first place, I think it's rather silly that they're getting in trouble.
Spiegel
Adventure
Favorite series: PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: W

Post by Spiegel »

SwordHero1 wrote:Unless there were plans of selling an official Utopia Dopant figure in the first place, I think it's rather silly that they're getting in trouble.
I disagree, it's one thing to customize a figure for yourself or a friend, but these guys sold it for thousands of dollars. They deserve to be in trouble,.
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

Technically, isn't this just like buying a custom-made shirt with a higher price (but with arguably a better quality) than the one the that is sold as the official merchandise?
I've seen lots of these kinds of copyrighted stuff sold like this, but they never got into any trouble

Maybe it's just because the figurine seller got lots of profit just from selling ONE figurine that Toei doesn't want them to sell more?

I think rather than suing them or throwing them to jail, Toei should recruit them as their figurine maker so both sides can be happy and gain profit from this (Even though the figurine maker's profit will be reduced, at least he won't go to jail)
Last edited by ShadowX7 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

Spiegel wrote:
SwordHero1 wrote:Unless there were plans of selling an official Utopia Dopant figure in the first place, I think it's rather silly that they're getting in trouble.
I disagree, it's one thing to customize a figure for yourself or a friend, but these guys sold it for thousands of dollars. They deserve to be in trouble,.
They didn't actually sell it for that high. It was put up for auction. People just happen to pay absurdly high for SIC customs. Honestly this isn't the first time.
Each one of Ken's customs are unique thats also another reason why people may pay more since it's technically one of a kind that can never be remade again in the same way. It's not like these are mass produced.
wanmoke
Sentai Senshi
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by wanmoke »

Companies have to protect their copyrights, otherwise it runs the risk of falling into public domain and suddenly people can use it to their advantage without fear of getting sued. It means financial losses for the company.

It's kinda random how it works, but selling it for ~$3,000? That's probably making a considerable amount more than what they paid for in the figurine and the materials.

edit: Putting something up for auction is pretty much the same as selling it. You may not be intending to, but you ARE making a profit.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The first comment I read on that page had a good point:
So in Japan you can sell multiple copies of unlicensed doujinshi comics featuring copywritten characters, and even hold conventions for the trading and selling of these things.

But selling a single, unique work derived from a copywritten IP is grounds for arrest?
Makes sense, I've seen people sell kitbashed figures (mainly transformers) in the west and nobody gets in trouble for that. Maybe Bandai are just jealous. They should release one if they are scared of loosing this much money lol.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”