KR Zi-O 04 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 am

☆☆☆☆☆
10%
☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
14%
29%

Total votes: 21
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 2.95 / 5 (22 votes)

Alt Title: Doctor Rider returns

I couldn't get into it. Sougo's acting is so wooden. Geiz and Tsukuyomi barely do anything in this episode.

As for Ex-Aid, the boring doctor parts were its weakest aspect of the series, and it's the main focus of this episode.

And I know it's a kid's show, but the kid needs a heart transplant, so he probably dies in the original timeline, but thanks to meeting Hiiro, he's saved? It just wraps everything up so neat and tightly in a sloppy way that makes it seem like there's no stakes. None of these guys are making real Faustian bargains, they would have been just fine even without become Another Riders.

I mean, how stupid is the Another Rider's story? He's knocking young men out so he can find a heart donor... but how is he going to get the doctor to take the heart out and put it in his son. Pretty sure Japanese doctors don't harvest organs from people in comas.

Maybe the story will get better when it's off Ex-Aid, which I have a lot of problems with personally. But yeah, the writing's got to step up the game. If you want to draw in people with nostalgia for the past Heisei Riders, it's got to have writing and jokes that appeal to people older than 3 year olds.

Maybe I shouldn't ask this from a time travel series, but if you have friends you couldn't save, why didn't you hop in your time machine and save them? While I'm at it, Emu doesn't remember how he got a Ride Watch, but Sougo gives it to him at the end, in a different timeline, but Sougo uses it to defeat Another Ex-Aid...???

Also, I can't tell if it's because I watch the .5 episodes, but did they forget the rules that they set up? At least from episode 2, they know that an Another Rider has to be defeated by his own power. Why does Geiz think that traveling back in time will let him defeat Another Ex-Aid, when he knew that didn't work with Another Build?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 04 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I don't like the "Takes One to Kill One" protocol when Zi-O/Geiz deals with Another Riders. Whoever thought this up should jump off a cliff. Fine, marketing likes it, but I don't.

According to toku reviewer/Doctor Who enthusiast JoshKnightTheFirst, the show seems to be implementing the bootstrap paradox whenever Sougo leaves the past versions!riders with blank Ridewatches.

Eh episode. Good that Sougo has given Tsuku-chan and Geiz the killswitch permission if he's becoming the Demon King.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I'm having a hard time rationalizing this show....I usually give Sentai and Kamen Rider a lot of slack when it comes to establishing the series and characters, but I'm already losing my patience with this one. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for the actions of the Another Riders (which, by the way, is going to be confusing when we get to Agito, because there was already a Rider called Another Agito in that series....Kaijin Riders would have been a better name). The first guy was saved from death by a time traveler, so he goes on a murderous rampage attacking sports players. Maybe I missed something, but there doesn't seem to be any connection with the events. Dude's kid is about to die due to needing a heart, so he starts attacking other kids whose hearts might work and putting them into comas. While I can understand a father's desperation, surgeons don't typically chop up comatose patients for donor organs. And if he had killed any of the kids he attacked by the time anyone got to them the hearts would have been useless for transplant, sot here is zero reason for any of this. I REALLY hope future episodes get better about this because I was really looking forward to this show and so far it's being a let-down.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This episode highlights all the problems I have with this series.

1) Ex-Aid actually does fuck all. Emu fighting Zi-O and Geiz to protect the dad is in character for him, but he gets 5 seconds to fight before Another Ex-Aid is revived and he loses his powers and memories. The same thing happens again at the end of the episode where past Emu loses his powers after fighting for a little bit. For a series that is supposed to throw back to previous riders, the fan service is terrible.

2) Another Rider shit is a bit of a stretch. Another Ex-Aid was made in 2016, and he was running around unchecked for two years knocking children into comas? This is only going to get worse the further back we go.

3) Sougo finding the dads motivation doesn't really feel earned. He doesn't really do anything and comes into the scene with the answer.

There is some other shit as well. It might come to me later.

Also, was the giant pirate ship robot CGI ripped straight from Ghost?
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Catastrophe wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:32 pm Also, was the giant pirate ship robot CGI ripped straight from Ghost?
Yeah it looks like they took Ghost's stupid Lizard Pirate ship thing and glued it to the Time Mazine model.

Yeah, so far this show is pretty poor & I doubt it'll get much better as it goes on. But one thing I 100% undoubtedly look forward to is:
Spoiler
Kusaka being an absolute shitheel! Happy belated Kaixa day! :mrgreen:
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I am now convinced that Vince Russo is writing this series. For those unfamiliar with professional wrestling lore, Russo was famous for designing matches where it would take longer to explain what it took to win the match than the match would actually take. In this case it takes longer to explain what Zi-O has to do to defeat the MOTW than it takes for the climax battle to play out. Russo was also famous for never writing matches where the end came when the protagonist character used hard work, guts and determination to win or the antagonist character used cheating dirty tactics to win. Instead, most Russo matches ended with non-participants in the match running to the ring and preventing the match from having a conclusive finish and not doing it for a reason that involved the original participants of the match. Here, the MOTW 's are bystanders taken over by one of the Time Jacker's tricks and Zi-O doesn't get to interact with the real enemies unless the Jackers ambush him.

As for Sougo, wow is he an awful actor. Decade wasn't a great show, but at least the lead was somewhat engaging. Also, "I think I've got the gist of it" >>>> "I think everything will work out okay."

On a different note, why do the riders have mecha?? Are the time jackers going to decide to grow defeated Another Rider's so that Sougo, Tsuku-chan, and Geiz can combine their mecha into a Megazord? Ura would actually be pretty cool as a monster grower. And, since she could freeze time, she could have an elaborate entrance/monster growing phrase without making the riders look stupid. Maybe Woz for his own reasons could have a lackey who grew monsters?
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

resop2 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 pm I am now convinced that Vince Russo is writing this series.
I am not going to disagree with you.....though I would argue that if Russo was writing it we'd at least get some scantily-clad women out of the ordeal, which seems unlikely here.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Another trash episode, 1 / 5.

Don't know how he (Kento) can write and explain about Another Rider, such a (idiot) joke with time-travel concept.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 pm
resop2 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 pm I am now convinced that Vince Russo is writing this series.
I am not going to disagree with you.....though I would argue that if Russo was writing it we'd at least get some scantily-clad women out of the ordeal, which seems unlikely here.
If they have Tsuku-chan and Ora fighting in swimsuits or underwear then we will be sure!
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Spoiler
Kusaka being an absolute shitheel! Happy belated Kaixa day! :mrgreen:
I actually had to go back and watch the preview again because Kusaka and Takumi were on screen for all of 2 seconds and then the episode ended. So I guess that this weekends episode will plow through Fourze in one episode and then maybe get Faiz set up??? I actually think that this season will get interesting when they do Decade since that was another season that had the lead rider using the powers of previous riders as a main feature, so will the Decade watch be Zi-O being able to use other riders abilities without having to use their watch or is it gonna be something different? ITS MAKING MY BRAIN HURT JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!!! xD
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Why is Uhr piloting Captain Ghost? That was extremely out-of-place.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Since I was out of the country last week and this series has been favoring a 2 part format, I figured I'd just watch both parts at once. That way maybe things would make a bit more sense. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped. The series is still rather scatterbrained.

On the whole this episode wasn't terrible. In fact I'm giving it a 3. But it's a "just barely" sort of thing. I liked the Ex-Aid cameos (I liked Ex-Aid in general), particularly that they got back Hiiro as well as Emu. Meanwhile the series has thankfully decided to bury the hatchet between Zi-I and Geiz for the moment, and Geiz is willing to wait and see if he needs to kill Sougo. Which I consider a positive, because being the series lead, Geiz was obviously never going to do it and it was all artificial drama. So I'm glad that part isn't getting dragged out.

Meanwhile, it may just be because I haven't seen the series in a couple of weeks, but I feel like the BGM has improved. The style in general still clashes with the series, but the arrangements in this episode in particular were a lot more mellow and fit the show better.

Past that, the show is still collapsing under the weight of a time travel plot. Which it wouldn't be the first show to do so, but with Zi-O it feels worse, somehow? Like it's not just one thing, but the time travel aspect is simultaneously creating several different plot holes or paradoxes, all of which are weighing the show down. Even just simple things like explaining why the kid didn't get treated for his heart back in 2016 or 2017 aren't being addressed. Decade was bad fan fiction. But this, I'm not even sure what this is.

On the plus side, while the main cast is questionable, at least the Timejackers are doing okay. Those kids are definitely on point when it comes to being creepy. :shock:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:24 am Even just simple things like explaining why the kid didn't get treated for his heart back in 2016 or 2017 aren't being addressed. Decade was bad fan fiction. But this, I'm not even sure what this is.
Yeah, the writing's just not there. I was so mad from episode 1 when the uncle's story was "I had a dream, but it was too risky so I let it pass me by". Where's the specificity? The details that build the world?

Also, remember how Tsukuyomi was "We can't meddle with the past" in episode one? Pretty sure saving a kid who died in the original timeline is going to affect the future. A good story about time travel like Back to the Future or Den-O has rules to set up the plot. By having limits, the world becomes more defined, like having to hit 88 miles per hour to time travel, or having the limit of time travel be a person's memories.

We're a month into Zi-O, and there's no established limits to time travel and no real consequence to changing the past.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It doesn't do the previous rider thing as good as Decade (which is saying a lot) and it definitely doesn't do the time travel anywhere near as good as Den-O did. It doesn't bring anything unique on its own either.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:18 am
ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:24 am Even just simple things like explaining why the kid didn't get treated for his heart back in 2016 or 2017 aren't being addressed. Decade was bad fan fiction. But this, I'm not even sure what this is.
Yeah, the writing's just not there. I was so mad from episode 1 when the uncle's story was "I had a dream, but it was too risky so I let it pass me by". Where's the specificity? The details that build the world?

Also, remember how Tsukuyomi was "We can't meddle with the past" in episode one? Pretty sure saving a kid who died in the original timeline is going to affect the future. A good story about time travel like Back to the Future or Den-O has rules to set up the plot. By having limits, the world becomes more defined, like having to hit 88 miles per hour to time travel, or having the limit of time travel be a person's memories.

We're a month into Zi-O, and there's no established limits to time travel and no real consequence to changing the past.
To be fair, the show is kind of messing up the past on purpose. Build, Drive, Ghost, and Ex-Aid now no longer exist. So the door has been left open to a very cruel reset, as history has to be fixed by the end of the series.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”