KR Zi-O 06 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
9%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
32%
☆☆
18%
18%

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 06 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 2.81 / 5 (21 votes)

Alt Title: Call him Uncle Exposition

God, I wish I could just enjoy the show for what it is, but the bad writing is such a dead weight dragging it down.

Let's start with the positive. The acting was decent this time, and the overall plot is kind of interesting. I was initially a bit put off with the plot being so similar to Ex-Aid's, but since Ora was the one who initially gave the guy the power, maybe that's her thing. And was genuinely good to see Takumi and Kusaka's actors again.

Points for having Faiz Armor work with the Faiz Phone X. Minus points for the bulky cellphone shoulder pads. Not only are they stupid looking, they miss the point of Faiz's design being sleek.

But fuck if their guest appearances aren't wasted by the bad writing that barely connects them to the story.
*Their connection to the current plot is so tenuous. Instead of filming scenes to link the characters together, we just get verbal exposition from Kusaka. I hate to say it every time but Show not Tell.
*Sougo doesn't really do anything to earn the Ride Watch. Takumi just pulls it out of his jacket and hands it over. Maybe Sougo did something to impress Takumi earlier, but the way it's presented is super jarring. Edit: I notice now that Takumi looks at Sougo's Ride Watch holder, but it's still weird that they don't connect it in some way.
*Having Kusaka walk away is kind of cool, but also felt like it lingered too long and just felt like an awkward way to wrap up the Faiz characters' sub plot.
*Uhhh... is Takumi still an Orphenoc? That would have been so awesome to bring in his wolf form so he could help fight or- Oh, that'd cost money? I guess Takumi and Kusaka are just middle age men who are super into the affair of high school kids.

I hated, HATED the uncle's heavy handed analogy to explain the mystery behind Karin. As soon as I realized what was going on, I was furious that this was the way they were going to explain it that way, because it doesn't fit naturally into the world at all.

Good points, having two Riders fight in two timelines is a cool idea. But what does it mean? What are the consequences? If the writer doesn't care about it, should the viewer?

Also Sakuma is a serial killer. He should not be left alive. Also, I'm pretty sure that his power as Faiz means that he's an Orphenoch, so he should turn to dust when he loses as Faiz. That'd also explain why he hasn't aged in 15 years either. Having Woz do a voice over explanation at the end was super unsatisfying.

I want to give this episode a 4 out of 5 stars. It's their best effort yet, but I can't help but still feel like they're fucking it up and Zi-O isn't really reaching the potential that it could have. My original alt title for this episode was "keep wasting your guest stars".

Edit: Is this the first time we hear Geiz's family name?

Thinking about it more, isn't this like a bad vampire story? Except, why does Karin just keep changing school and stuff? And how is Japan not in an uproar that a serial murderer went unchecked for over 15 years? Wait. If his initial power is Faiz, why is he only targeting girls who are 18 and Libras? What's that have to do with anything? At least the Ex-Aid one was trying to find suitable organ donors.

Wait, why is Yamabuki Karin listed as a 18 year old Libra? If a corpse disappears, you don't keep your original name and change your birthday so that you're always 18 everywhere you go. Oh god this is stupid...

So wait, is the clue it's shooting stars because she died awaiting a meteor shower, or because she was a part of the Ryuusei School? /me slaps his head.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: KR Zi-O 06 released

Post by OOOKaiser »

I feel like once they get through with getting the rider's power, the story will improve - hopefully. Fourze/Faiz arc was an interesting to watch honestly.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Befitting their chaotic nature, the Timejackers can give active candidates a new Another Watch to keep them active and steal said candidate in the process. Perhaps Schwartz knew to get to Sakuma when Ora didn't account for the time limit of Sakuma's 1st Another Watch.

Geiz solved the case. Karin, the girl associated with Sakuma/the MOTW is on borrowed time because Ora conducted the deal with Sakuma to keep her alive. And Karin’s tired of being on borrowed time and finding her friend killing other girls to replenish her borrowed time.

Feels like Handa and Murakami wasted their time in this two-parter. Inui's the one helping Sougo but he doesn't do a lot aside from blocking Kusaka from Karin.

Not much out of this. Karin and Sakuma's story is kinda sad. Geiz worked that Faiz armor well.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Thought this was interesting: https://www.facebook.com/zack261199/vid ... 207747124/
Someone compared Faiz's ZI-O footage to the actual scene. Dat upscale.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

It's gonna be out in fall 2019 any way, but I like that BGM during where Karin tells Sakuma to stop. It soothes me.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

A thought I had. People are speculating that Sougo's uncle will be Oma Zi-O. You know what Italian for uncle is? Zio. Granted the pronunciation is closer to ツィオ, but Geiz, Meteor and Decade have started a precedent for Toei not caring too much about the actual pronunciation of the words they take.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
PDA
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by PDA »

original riders are videogame NPCs, you talk with them and earn rewards.... the value of original riders is the same than NPCs too... ZERO VALUE.

whats the point in bring back takumi for only see he saying "too hot", no fanservice henshin or fight(even for just seconds) ?

who give blank ride watch to takumi? i see another fourze doing stupid fourze hand gestures but cant see another faiz doing wrist thing from faiz...

man this arc was the better arc so far and even so, still mediocre! fourze armor transformers version dont have nothing in common with fourze abilities, faiz armor is ugly as fu** has said before, isnt simple/sleek

Decade isnt good but so far is far better than zi-o...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>original riders are videogame NPCs, you talk with them and earn rewards.... the value of original riders is the same than NPCs too... ZERO VALUE.

Absolutely. They're there to just functionally hand over the Ride Watch to Sougo, otherwise there's barely any writing or story for them.

>who give blank ride watch to takumi? i see another fourze doing stupid fourze hand gestures but cant see another faiz doing wrist thing from faiz...

I thought this was a mistake too, but they mention it at the very very end.

It's still pretty shitty to wrap it up with barely any plot closure, a Woz voice-only narration (where is our noble narrator this episode?), and a few lines to wrap up the Ride Watch thing. God this show is having a rocky start.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I feel like this series is SQUANDERING all the star power they're pumping into it. ffs, at least gokaiger gave props to each series when it honored it.... this show goes "ok, show up, say hi, give the power to the new kid, who doesn't give a shit about you, gtfo, go get your paycheck."

give me REASONS to give a shit about all these other riders.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This episode at least gets credit for effort. The idea of tying together two Another Riders like that was an interesting one. However despite so little of value happening, the episode still felt overstuffed as a result of being about two different shows. The writers have been gorging themselves on too many donut plot holes.
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Garbage. Takumi and Kusaka act so out of character. Also, if Geiz goes back in time to kill Another Faiz, shouldn't that mean Another Fourze wouldn't exist for Zi-O to defeat?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Catastrophe wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am Garbage. Takumi and Kusaka act so out of character. Also, if Geiz goes back in time to kill Another Faiz, shouldn't that mean Another Fourze wouldn't exist for Zi-O to defeat?
Why do you ask questions about time travel paradoxes when you know they're just going to reply in a .5 episode saying not to think about it
PDA
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by PDA »

Catastrophe wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am Garbage. Takumi and Kusaka act so out of character. Also, if Geiz goes back in time to kill Another Faiz, shouldn't that mean Another Fourze wouldn't exist for Zi-O to defeat?
i know, right?

that was my exact question in that moment, defeat another faiz just destroy the timeline where after 15 years sakuma become another fourze.

if we use that 2.5 "3 rule manual" and disregard the history and time paradoxes, we can watch one entire episode in 5min or less, if dont have sense or history i gonna start to Fast Forward all nonsense except fights parts and watch only the fights, but even doing this the show still mediocre using that carnival armor time shit, the only cool designs on show are another riders (except ex aid because imo is ugly as hell)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 amWhy do you ask questions about time travel paradoxes when you know they're just going to reply in a .5 episode saying not to think about it
Complaining is all I know.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Fair enough, there's a lot to bitch about, only made more infuriating by the fact that they know it doesn't make sense and don't care

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”