Ryusoulger 14 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 pm

★★★★★
No votes
★★★★
25%
★★★
75%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 14 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 4 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 14 released

Post by Lunagel »

As sixth ranger introductions go, that was kinda flat. And we already had the "I'm not gonna join your club" bit with Green and Black already this season, so it's a bit stale. The character himself is slightly new? Marriage hunter is a new thing but how far can they really take it?

Y'know, I'm kinda okay with this week's Minusaur birther dying? The language is very vague but they say 水商売 (lit. "water business") which refers to any sort of sketchy job, which could be anything from straight up illegal to just "wouldn't tell your parents". Based on the clothing, I'm gonna assume he's a pusher for a hostess club. So yeah, very odd why that eco-conscious girl is with him.

Utsusemimaru would like his schtick back.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This is quite possibly the worst introduction for a 6th ever. The stakes don't feel that high and there isn't any reason that the Minusaur should be super powerful.

Oh, and a Dino Gold that has electricity power. They really aren't trying. At least his gun has better sounds than the swords.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

maybe im hearing it wrong but ... for Gold isnt it "ryu so good"? and it doesnt sound like "que bom" for him either but maybe im wrong on the later.

and as for his introduction. FORCED. like suddenly theyre were speaking of the Dragon Palace and this guy appears. no searching. no hints. nothing. and his appearance isnt even really a shock. no pun intended. he just nonchalantly enters town defeats a minusaur, and continues on his way. figures out the VOTW, and helps his missed bride because his name is somehow similar to his actual BF (but why would you want a GF or even bride who so easily cheats on him?) and reveals he too has a super mode of sorts to go with his chainsaw knife and gatling hand gun. they made him seem so over powered, that going forward hes going to come off as watered down.

i was waiting for Bamba to be revealed to be a prince or something, but now this guy seems like he's one. meh .... stop rushing the plot.

EDIT: as a lingering thought, why are the generals so .... disrespectful to Creon? isnt he(?) kind of integral to their plans? like without Creon now VOTW/MOTW. like can THEY create monsters too?
and did the second minsaur sorta resemble a decepticon pretender or was it just me?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aw, missed my chance to post. Maybe it's cause Luna had me reviewing this last minute on a deadline, but this episode just didn't stick for me. I think I even wrote in my notes "green and black are here" like that's notable. I feel like if someone asked me to describe RyusoulGold's personality without mentioning the marriage thing, I'd come up with nothing.

At least the new villain is kinda funny. Not sure what to make of Creon waxing nostalgia for hanging out with Wiseru and the first guy.

Is Sentai being written by aliens or robots that don't understand human emotions now? We have a brand new character, a brand new villain, and I can barely be asked to care.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

midorininger wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:07 pm maybe im hearing it wrong but ... for Gold isnt it "ryu so good"? and it doesnt sound like "que bom" for him either but maybe im wrong on the later.
The voice is different but it's the same Ryu so cool/que bom which is kinda disappointing

Also the mossa haha nossa etc just doesn't make sense? It's not even a festival chant or anything, it's just gibberish
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh I figured that part out Luna. It's from his animal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaurus

Didn't notice Akane was played by Akizuki Mika
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Akizuki_Mika

Still pretty cute, still got short hair. I liked her character in Fourze, but felt like she was underused.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I know it's a standard cliche for the sixth ranger to come in and save the day when the rest of team is in trouble, but they went too far in making the Ryusoulgers look bad. Nothing about this monster or it's creation was particularly special, and yet it walloped all five of them harder than Tankjoh ever did. Worse still, when they were having a hard time, they come to the brilliant plan of "Let's use every single one of our toys, I'm sure one of them will work"? Wow, way to just blatantly admit our heroes only get by due to having the exact right tool instead of anything to do with skill or strength. In fact, they make it feel like the only reason Gold beat the monster is because he happens to have the soul that is electricity-based.

As for Ryusoulgold himself, his goal to find a bride is a little weird, but it does make it just a little bit more interesting than just simply being the typical aloof sixth, though not by much. I'm sure we'll learn a lot more about his underwater tribe going forward, though as of now I'm not really feeling either a particular presence from him nor do I feel much intrigue about where he comes from. At least we see just enough of his personality to know he can care for regular people even if they don't wanna marry him. (That makes it sound like I'm judging him by the lowest standards possible, I realise.)

Also maybe along with the colour scheme, he should have ripped off more from Utsusemimaru, like a cape or something? Because aside from having blue instead of silver for his secondary colour, his suit doesn't really look any special or different compared to the other Ryusoulgers. Even the patterning along the chest looks the same, and his transformation scene was identical to the rest. If it wasn't the for the fact that he has a unique changer, weapon and mecha, I would have assumed just from the design that he was more of an extra ranger who would stay mostly in the background instead of an actual main addition to the core team.

I have nothing to say about the new general, other than that Creon sure has it tough. He gets no respect, his youtube channel didn't take off, guy can't catch a break.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well, that episode wasn't bad. But it also wasn't in any way good. Which is not a good thing when we're talking about the intro of the sixth ranger and a new general.

Let me first start things off by saying that I outright believe they introduced the 6th too early here. We're 14 episodes in, and the story and characters already feel underdeveloped for being this far in. The team as a whole didn't even come together until about 6 episodes in. So throwing another Rysoulger into the pot so soon is really bad pacing; it robs the series of a chance to better develop its plots and characters.

I know the show exists to move toys. But the whole thing really does feel toyetic; all of this is happening because it's the second quarter and the toys have to keep coming, damn the plot.

As for the sixth himself, I will give the writers credit. A character who is focused on getting married is definitely different. It's amusing in small doses, but it's not very heroic. More to the point, I agree with Luna that I don't see how you can keep this going for the next 40 episodes. And if they did, it would probably end up overdone like JyuohTheWorld.

BreadToku is also right on the money here about power levels: part of the reason that this episode leaves a bad taste in our mouths is because the whole plot is based on creating a scenario where Gold has to come in and save the day. It makes the Core 5 look inept for no good reason.

(And is it me, or are most of the Ryusoul tribe members (besides the main characters) kind of selfish dicks?)

In terms of action, it's a real mixed bag. On the downside, the director blew his big moment early on by showing us Gold transforming early in the episode. That's the kind of thing you should have for his big introduction towards the end. On the other hand, the fight choreography was a step above for this episode. There are two neat long takes in this episode, once when the core 5 are using their toys Ryusouls, and then again when Gold is beating up the mooks. Those kind of shots are harder to do, so they're always fun to see.

Gold's weapons are kind of odd though. The blade isn't really much of a blade; like, I guess it's meant to be a dinosaur mouth with a blade in it, but it just looks like he's whacking guys with a small rod. And everything about the way he jerks the tip of his gun to do his Ryusoul equip just looks wrong.:o

There was no mecha action this week. But there's enough going on here that it can wait until next week.

Meanwhile, I'm glad Wiseru is out of the picture for the moment. That was a hamfisted way to temporarily get rid of him, but his schtick had grown stale episodes ago.

Is it a bad thing that of everything in this episode, I'm more interested in what's going on with Creon than I am the Ryusoulgers? His fourth-wall antics have been legitimately amusing. And while the writers are obviously trying to jerk at the audience's heartstrings here, it's working. I want to know where this is going, and I hope it's not a turn for the worse for the best bad guy on this show.

He's gold!
He's cool and strong!
(Hey kids, buy his toys!)

Lunagel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:40 pm And we already had the "I'm not gonna join your club" bit with Green and Black already this season, so it's a bit stale.
That's the other thing that bothered me about this episode. We barely got Green and Black on board and now they've found another Ryusoulger that wants nothing to do with them. I don't see how it's a trait that's going to lead to any new and interesting plots.
Catastrophe wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 pm This is quite possibly the worst introduction for a 6th ever. The stakes don't feel that high and there isn't any reason that the Minusaur should be super powerful.
We've had some stinkers before. But even otherwise bad series like Ninninger and Kyuuranger handled the introductions of their sixths relatively competently. So unfortunately I'm forced to agree; this is probably the worst introduction for a sixth in all of Super Sentai.:(
takenoko wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 pm We have a brand new character, a brand new villain, and I can barely be asked to care.
This episode in a nutshell. :|

(And diapers, Takenoko? Really? :shock: )
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Diapers???

To be fair, I kind of get what they're going for here. It's a water-based monster, so fire doesn't work. Bring in the lightning element guy. The problem is, they didn't establish an elemental rock-paper-scissors system before, so going "oh, our only element is fire" kind of rings false.

Ah, Creon. Poor guy worked so hard to make that bucket of jizz, and then he just spills it all on the ground.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:03 am Diapers???
On the front page. But I see now that it was Luna's doing (which makes a bit more sense). Lol, sorry about that. :oops:
DidiZorba
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DidiZorba »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:49 pm Also the mossa haha nossa etc just doesn't make sense? It's not even a festival chant or anything, it's just gibberish
Just adding to what take said, the "Nossa" probably came from Portuguese as well (just as "Que bom"), since we use it here in Brazil as an interjection for "Wow!".
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

how the hell do you put in "night entertainment" to a kid's show.... the writers on this series do NOT give a fuck.

I know cultural differences, and all, but... dang.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Sinkuu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 pm how the hell do you put in "night entertainment" to a kid's show.... the writers on this series do NOT give a fuck.

To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure what it means in this context. We're talking about hostess clubs, yes? Are those even all that scandalous in Japan?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:50 pm
Sinkuu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 pm how the hell do you put in "night entertainment" to a kid's show.... the writers on this series do NOT give a fuck.

To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure what it means in this context. We're talking about hostess clubs, yes? Are those even all that scandalous in Japan?
Probably a pusher for a hostess club. The language is very vague, so it could be almost anything though. Hostess club jobs aren't scandalous but they're also not really socially acceptable. It'd be like working at a phone sex service.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”