6%

Total votes: 17
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 07 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 2.8 /5 stars (15 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Watch the English of Fansub

Better this week. The focus on Rintarou's power up and the trip to Avalon worked out alright. I'm a bit annoyed by how cheap the Avalon set was? We spend a lot of time in non spaces with Rintarou in his pocket dimenson and Touma, his best friend, and Calibur in the ravine between dimensions. If you're going to a place called Avalon, it better be a gorgeous paradise on Earth

So yeah, I'm disappointed that the journey to Avalon amounts to just clashing in a void and then suddenly being on one of the Toei sets that we usually see. To gripe a bit more on the scene, it's dumb that Touma and best friend try to run from Calibur when they know they need his dragon to open the door to Avalon. Also, we all agree at this point that Calibur isn't Kaidou right? If you've got Kaidou's actor, you don't hide his face like that

Rintarou's subplot is a bit better. His training montage is alright and we do get a power-up tied to him saving Mei (I guess she likes him now?) I kind of wish his three volume form used more flight in it since it's a Pegasus power-up

Buster and green guy show up, but I'm guessing these two characters will die/get sidelined pretty quickly

If Rintarou's master looks familiar, he's the other famous blue guy, Mikami Masashi who was BoukenBlue! I was looking at his profile and you might have last seen him in Drive, when he guested with his Boukenger co-star Suenaga Haruka

Edit: Wait, if no one's reached Avalon before, why does Slash know about it?
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Saber 07 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

A generous reading of Kento and Touma's race with Calibur to Avalon is that they couldn't fight him head-on, so they needed to lead him directly to the door and then spawn the dragons - hence the running. Maybe? I dunno. I'm trying to give things the benefit of the doubt, but I'll admit a lot has been sloppy and oddly paced...

I was sure Kaidou was Calibur, but Calibur felt uhh, different in this episode? Less level-headed / strategic and more feral? So I dunno anymore.

Man I don't..... really like Mei and Rintarou together. She's too much for him haha.

Why was Touma so rude to the Avalon Ghost Man!! He was just offering a simple riddle, no need to shout Touma geez. Calm down for 2 seconds.
The Square Toei Caves are cool looking for sure, but I wish... they had chosen a more exotic part of it? It doesn't look very legendary. That fire monster thingy was neat though. Not sure why Touma was so scared to draw the sword and use the King of Arthur book. It's probably supposed to be a representation of the strain that using the book and its power puts on him, or something, but it didn't come off very good. Didn't really feel any high stakes here.

Rintarou destroys Medusa and suddenly the other Meggido are gone too? Uhh.

Slash just knows the myth of Avalon, right? No specifics? Sounds like he knows just about as much as the rest of the knights, though with perhaps more interest in actually solving the mystery. Maybe he tried to go there once upon a time and that's why his sword is fucked up.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Not thrilled with this ep.

Both Avalon and Rintarou's thing feel like they should have been drawn out longer, so that their importance is built up. We've barely heard about Avalon before suddenly we get there, and only heard about Rintarou's master last episode. Plus, having Rintarou do his whole Rocky training montage off-screen was just anticlimactic. "Oh, he could die training!" "Horray, he's all done!" Draw it out at least to two episodes or give it a focus episode. What are we rushing so much for?

After the super cool fantasy worlds you gave us in the first couple episodes, Avalon is... a white room. That's bullshit and you know it, Toei. Give me a throne room, a lake, a meeting room with a round table, ANYTHING, just sell me that it's actually King Arthur!

Okay, I usually try to give the chick the benefit of the doubt, because it's usually a bum role requiring lots of rescuing, but the awful faces and the stupid monologue before almost getting eaten was just painful. Why's she in love with Rintarou all of a second? And who authorized those stupid sound effects?

Sir Gawain, what a woman wants most is to be a useful Kamen Rider who doesn't get killed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald

Post by takenoko »

Who's Sir Gawain again?

But yeah, agree on all the points Luna. What a slap in the face for Arthur fans. If you can create a CGI wonderland for episode 1, you can do at least that much for the famous Avalon. Instead, it comes off as a last second rewrite with no budget. Same with Rintarou's training room
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

TheNinjaDragon
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Lunagel wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:27 am
Sir Gawain, what a woman wants most is to be a useful Kamen Rider who doesn't get killed.
Or disrespected. *Cough*Ghost!*Cough*
darkaura
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider
Type: INFP Healer

Post by darkaura »

Oh I'm also going to add that TVNihon...well me was one of the first people to figure out the chanting of Calibur....you're welcome. Also obvious credit to Luna for her translation. I tried my best but she cracked the code.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I have to say that this episode flowed better than any other so far, but mostly because they used the setup from the previous.

My main complaint is that the writers don't really know how to handle multiple characters. There is a pretty interesting melee with Buster/Ninja guy and 4 monsters, with Rintarou joining at the end. But when he kills the Medusa, the fight is just over and the other guys just fuck off?

Also, Calibur has to be some other guy. They are hiding his actor too much for it to be Kaido.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, right. I remember even when I was reading King Arthur in middle school that I thought these guys had a funny sense of chivalry
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It seems like a lot of effort for some power up that will get discarded fairly quickly.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This show, be it Sentai or Rider, looks like it was booked by Vince Russo with lots of things going on at once, everything being rushed, and nothing making any emotional impact. As for the Rocky montage, Akari from Ghost got a better one even though it was in a botchamania arc. Mei shifts from smart to idiot from episode to episode and is really wearing out her welcome. The pop up kids theater gimmick is so stupid that it is nearly a reason to abandon the series.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

My favourite part of the episode was in fact the big melee involving six different people, and then Rintarou coming in to show everyone else up with his Volume 3 form. Touma's trip to Avalon got him a new toy which I'm sure we'll see get a more proper showing next week. Even if the King Arthur book gets outclassed fairly quickly... Well, at least right now they are putting in an effort to make it feel like a big deal.
msf232
Gabu
Dreamy: Élise de la Serre
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time

Post by msf232 »

I knew it was Masashi Mikami! His voice seems different though

Also, Mei suddenly likes Rintaro for no reason? I want to like the character- only if she had a little more depth...
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger-Ryusoulger
Kuuga-ゼロワン
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I'm noticing something.

they seem to be borrowing the webweaving of something like GoT. there's a bunch of threads out there: avalon, calibur, the boy band, etc... it's all being woven together, this is more serialized, less MOTW.

I think they're trying something different as far as writing this year. I think it's a lot more towards the overreaching arcs, and less on the MOTW. there are WAY too many pieces on the board, I agree, some are due to be taken off.

but I think it's a different take right now for KR... and I'm waiting to see how the first big payoff hits. then I'll judge.

Touma's getting flakey on me... passionate one second, arrogant the next, understanding a third. I know he's supposed to be the newbie genius, but give him a couple of notes instead of bouncing all over the place, personality wise.
Ashki
IXA
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

This one dropped the ball way too many times for my liking.

King of Arthur seems incredibly lame for the "ultimate power", and it looks like we're going to get the same message for Toma who hasn't even mastered his base form yet and keeps trying to add more powers without understanding any of them. It's pretty sad when his "ultimate power" form looks like it'll be weaker than Buster's base form and certainly isn't coming close to Blades and his three book form. I really hope Toma gets the snot kicked out of him and has to back up and LEARN how to use the powers he's been given. It's like opening a book to a random page, reading it, and thinking you know the entire story.

I'm beginning to think Mei doesn't actually have any friends. She keeps talking about how she wants to get things submitted so she can goof off with them, but outside of Toma, she doesn't seem to have a life. That could explain why she gets so hyper sometimes and is so desperate to be part of the team. As for her falling for Blades, I think her sudden reaction while picking up the manuscript and remembering their time together said it all: Someone actually cared enough to hang out with her and even tried to protect her. When he came back last minute and saved her again, she thought it was love.

Also, keep in mind the shoe leather pretty much doesn't exist in this show, so the two of them could have been hanging out for an afternoon or a week and we wouldn't know the difference.

"Avalon" sucked. The sudden end of the fight was (I hope) just a feint like it was with a couple other villains that were defeated only to come back, but it still was annoying. Toma got King of Arthur with almost zero effort and the payoff was just as lacking. I can imagine Blades spent far longer in that proving ground than the show cares to tell us, especially after the throwaway line that time flows differently in there. But seriously! Can we get some form of timeline of events? Has it been a couple days or several months thus far? Get some bloody shoe leather going here!

But all that aside, some parts of the episode were pretty fun, and the battle was interesting until it wasn't. I just wish the writing wasn't so perfectly represented by Tassel's awkward umbrella flight.
Fave series so far
KR: *brain explodes*
SS: probably GoRanger or ToQGer
UM: Nexus
Other Toku: (undecided, possibly the Shinigami no Ballad live action)

Least fave so far
KR: Drive
SS: Maskman
UM: (like all so far)
Other Toku: (undecided)

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”