My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 17 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.63 /5 stars (16 votes)

Fan Sub-title: I'm sorry but the only thing I remember about this episode was Mei in shorts...

Wait, did the Logos guys and Touma even meet in this episode? What was this episode about? Did the Yuki thing get resolved?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 17 released

Post by Lunagel »

I can't be arsed to care about this extra character. The "guy from the past marveling at the future" has been done so many times It's just not even worth my time.

And frankly? That poncho outfit was perfectly acceptable Tokyo fashion. No one would have even batted an eye to see him in it.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

I'm honestly shocked at how much better this episode was compared to just about everything that came before it in terms of story and characters O.o

The pacing is actually decent for once, slowing down to remark on Touma's indecision and uncertainty and to introduce Kamen Shining. As a character he's nothing new and I'm still dubious about the whole "I am the sword" thing he has going. But the "sword of light, Rider of shadow" concept was pretty cool, even if it was just another excuse to flex their CG budget without putting the effort into making a new Rider suit. Hopefully there's a bit more to him and the being in Avalon for a thousand years bit, it seems like a twist on the Excalibur mythos due to how he gave him King of Arthur, but that could just be a bit too obvious.

The other swordsmen are still one-dimensional from what little we've seen of them in this episode, but Touma actually gets some moments of long over-due development as a protagonist by having a truly horrific obstacle put in his path. Fighting against nebulous monsters from another world is all well and good, but with an innocent human life at stake with defeating them now, he's actually feeling conflict about how to proceed as a swordsman. His ideal is still to save everyone, but the reality might not match up to that. Knowing Toei with this season though there'll probably be a miracle method to saving her, but actually giving the indication of higher stakes has been long overdue.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

A good episode. Hopefully, this means that Saber will not be totally bad anymore.

So, how are Tassel and Yuuri related to each other again? Why haven't we gotten the explanation yet?
What is this roof they keep coming to? Where exactly is this?
The opening scene is nice. Touma is reminiscing about the time they made that vow along with Kento at whatever place that roof is. Must be special for all of them since they keep coming back here.
Hey! They removed Kento from the opening!!?? Does this mean we won't be seeing him for another while, except for flashbacks? I'm not really sure how I feel about that, good or bad.. :? :?
For all I've noticed, is that Touma's store always has books lying around all over the place. Then why is this the first time someone has tripped on one of those? Is it because it was dark in there?
Or am I the only one who saw his bookstore having lots of books all over the place...? :| :| :? :?:
Ok, so the "sword guy" came and trashed Touma's bookstore.... How did he even know where to find Touma? Does he have any special powers/abilities we don't know of yet, regarding this matter...?
Lol, why does Touma hide behind Mei every time he is scared? And how come she's around every time, for him to hide behind her?
So it's confirmed, Yuuri's official nickname is (Ken-no-hito)"The Sword Guy".... :D :lol: :wink:
Why was Mei making those dramatic faces in the background when Yuuri was praising Touma??
Who wrote that comic Yuuri and Mei were talking about, Touma? Doesn't seem like it... Then why did Yuuri bring it up? Also, I just realized that this comic is totally a reference to Yuuri himself.. :o :shock: Ironic that he doesn't understand the story. :lol: :D
What's that giant thing in front of Touma's train model table(or whatever that thing this where he has his train and stuff kept)?
Finally, a look at what the Southern Base looks like from the outside and inside!! Although, now that Touma's friends are swordsmen of the Southern Base, then Mei locking them out of the Northern Base will do no good anymore... :lol:
Why is Ren SO POSSESIVE over Kento that he is calling him "his Kento-kun"? Does he actually have a crush on Kento?
So, where are the other swordsmen of the Southern Base? Reika did say that there were other swordsmen there. Or did she lie about that too?
Why don't Touma's friends ever question this "authority" of Sword of Logos? Too much loyalty?? :roll: :| :?:
I get that the outside can be dark, but why is it so dark on the inside of the Southern Base too? They DO have lights, right? Or is that the Southern Base's theme, to stay dark, with Reika's all-over black clothes and all...?
Wow, Yuuri can copy anyone's clothes.... This guy is full of surprises.... :lol:
What is this joke about Yuuri being or not being a sword....? Don't get it.... :| :?
Why is Touma trying to be funny in this episode? TOTALLY not working... :| :o
Directly changing to his special form? Was it to heat up those frozen people?
Wow, so Touma didn't know that the bad guys were only Calibur? Is he dumb?
How come Touma didn't try to go close to Yuki and save her before Legiel got close to her? Wow, Touma or Mei didn't EVEN TRY TO SAVE HER...??!! They just were still in their places while Legiel put the book back inside Yuki...!! WHY??!! :evil: :cry: :o :shock: :? :x :?: :?: :?: :?:
Ok, so that is what the villains' whole plan is, to create more Megiddos out of those people who came in contact with those small white sprinkles and making Alter books from those....
Why is that attack called "SPICY"?!!
The scene where both Touma and Mei become frozen is interesting...
What was their plan on how to save Yuki? Or did they not have a plan at all....?
Really liked the Shadow form of the Light Sword!!

I missed Rintarou and the others' active involvement in this episode. Although I'm starting to like Touma more, Rintarou is still my favorite character in Saber.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 am And frankly? That poncho outfit was perfectly acceptable Tokyo fashion. No one would have even batted an eye to see him in it.
So, guys can totally wear women's clothes around like nothing's wrong?
Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 am The other swordsmen are still one-dimensional from what little we've seen of them in this episode, but Touma actually gets some moments of long over-due development as a protagonist by having a truly horrific obstacle put in his path. Fighting against nebulous monsters from another world is all well and good, but with an innocent human life at stake with defeating them now, he's actually feeling conflict about how to proceed as a swordsman. His ideal is still to save everyone, but the reality might not match up to that. Knowing Toei with this season though there'll probably be a miracle method to saving her, but actually giving the indication of higher stakes has been long overdue.
I agree. We saw Touma's character development in this episode for real. I liked that.
Spoiler
Looking forward to the next episode. Looks like he'll be around more in the next episode./spoiler]
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Don't call him Yuri. That's a girl's name that means "lily". The extra u makes a difference here
fapolo
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

Post by fapolo »

This is the first episode so far that I didn't fell like I was running a marathon to follow everything. Finally an episode with decent pacing. Please, let the next ones be at least like this one.

I also think that this pacing helped the story. If all this "human is the monster" dilemma happened before, we would have to process this and also a bunch of different things and fights alltogether.

I still don't have a clue of what the evil trio plan is. I hope is at least "decent" to worth the lack of hints. Anyway, I can't care about them at all... no charisma, no real demonstration of power and abilities, lack of direction for what is happening with them. I can only praise the actors for the out-of-suit fight they did in another episode.

Oh, and isn't that lovely how Kamen Green loves Kento? I don't like the character overall, but I appreciate this little moment of him, seeking revenge for his love that was killed (aparently). I wonder how happy he will be when Kamen Yellow returns.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm
Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 am And frankly? That poncho outfit was perfectly acceptable Tokyo fashion. No one would have even batted an eye to see him in it.
I said the poncho outfit.

But yes, I have seen men wear women's clothing around Tokyo. It's not common, and it would probably draw some remarks, but people are remarkably relaxed when it comes to individual fashions. There was an older man (50-60?) wearing goth lolita I saw once in a shopping mall.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I just can't define how much of a brainless moron Ren is.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm I just can't define how much of a brainless moron Ren is.
Can always make examples and multiply them.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

the "creature that doesn't understand humanity learns through the protagonist" trope is overdone.... that, I'm bored with already.

hoping this arc pushes through quick.
Raziel-Faustus
Favorite series: kamen rider ooo
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider kiva
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: eurobeat
Quote: What is today but yesterdays tomorrow

Post by Raziel-Faustus »

a solid episode i like the slower pace and the focus on touma. Yuuris man out of time schtick is far from new but fine all things considered and i like the lazer esq take on him being the sword. hopefully this is a sign of saber being on the uptick
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm Don't call him Yuri. That's a girl's name that means "lily". The extra u makes a difference here
Aright, Yuuri it is. I'll remember that in the future. Thanks for correcting me. :)
Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm
Oops, my bad. I guess I didn't notice the "poncho" bit and thought that you were talking about the girl's clothes that Yuuri was wearing. :oops:
fapolo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm This is the first episode so far that I didn't fell like I was running a marathon to follow everything. Finally an episode with decent pacing. Please, let the next ones be at least like this one.
A MARATHON.... Very accurate! They have slowed down the pacing in the last 2 or 3 episodes which I really appreciate. It doesn't feel like they're moving on to the next arc already even before the current one can properly sink in.
fapolo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm I still don't have a clue of what the evil trio plan is. I hope is at least "decent" to worth the lack of hints. Anyway, I can't care about them at all... no charisma, no real demonstration of power and abilities, lack of direction for what is happening with them. I can only praise the actors for the out-of-suit fight they did in another episode.
The villains' side of the story is the only thing Saber is taking slowly. I guess it's not too bad, but it feels like it's being dragged for too long because the writers don't have a proper plan yet. Kinda gets boring after a while and of course, the villains have no real character to them apart from being bad guys who fight the good guys and hurt innocent people...
All I got from the last arc is that their plan is to "recreate the existing world into one where they control everything".
fapolo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm Oh, and isn't that lovely how Kamen Green loves Kento? I don't like the character overall, but I appreciate this little moment of him, seeking revenge for his love that was killed (aparently). I wonder how happy he will be when Kamen Yellow returns.
LOL. Him having massive crush on Kento is all the story we got from Ren.....
And.......:
Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm I just can't define how much of a brainless moron Ren is.
I ABSOLUTELY agree! Do the writers want to keep him like this forever with the least possible character development(or no development at all)??
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Hero99
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Favorite Band: Veltpunch
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by Hero99 »

It's funny how it took 17 episodes for us to see that the city is populated. That being said this episode was pretty okay, Yuuri's shadow gimmick is better than the floating png we saw last time. It's finally starting to feel like Kamen Rider!
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm

But yes, I have seen men wear women's clothing around Tokyo. It's not common, and it would probably draw some remarks, but people are remarkably relaxed when it comes to individual fashions. There was an older man (50-60?) wearing goth lolita I saw once in a shopping mall.
This could have been me:
There was an older man (50-60?) wearing goth Lolita I saw once in a shopping mall.
It wasn't, but I have learned so much about male/female perceptions as I have just spent my first year as a transwoman (otokonoko) in a trump loving swamp. If you dress as a woman people assume the obvious. Even when I tell a woman a few feet from me on the the phone (I still sound male) that I look like a woman they walk right by me... I would not have believed it had I not lived it so many times... It started when I wore a cosplay outfit to my insurance agent, and the next time I went both the women were in cosplay outfits! Jeez! A 20 year old FTM came up to me in a thrift store (great for cosplay stuff a week after Xmass) and told me how watching me change inspired him (her when we met)... So age is a bit relative.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”