Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger

Read and write spoiler-free reviews of TN shows
wanmoke
Sentai Senshi
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by wanmoke »

Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger was the 28th installment of the Super Sentai franchise. It ran from 2004 to 2005.

Plot

The Space Police are a galactic police force. They have members working all over the galaxy, trying to fight crime. The Earth Branch of Special Police have been doing fine with just four members. It is thus a shock to them when a hotheaded fifth member shows up, by order of their chief, Doggie Kruger. Five dectives who fight cool with burning hearts. Their mission: To combat Earth's invaders. They'll protect the peace and safety of all humanity.

Main characters

Dekarangers:

Akaza Banban/DekaRed(played by Sainei Ryuuji)-A hotheaded individual who is assigned to the Earth branch. His nickname is Ban

Tomasu Hoji/DekaBlue(played by Hayashi Tsuyoshi)-An arrogant sort, he considers himself a pro detective and takes an instant disliking to Ban. His nickname is Hoji.

Enari Sen'ichi/DekaGreen(played by Itou Yousuke)-Easygoing, often doesn't really act like a detective. He has a "thinking pose" where he does a handstand. His nickname is Sen-chan.

Reimon Marika/DekaYellow(played by Kinoshita Ayumi)-An Esper, she can read a person's thoughts by touching them(as the narrator will say over... and over... and over >.>). Her nickname is Jasmine.

Kodou Koume/DekaPink(played by Kikuchi Mika)-She is very childish in manner, yet commands respect from the others. She considers herself the leader of the Dekarangers. Her nickname is Umeko.

Allies:
Doggie Krueger(voiced by Inada Tetsu)-He is the commander of the Dekarangers, an Anubis Seijin. Everyone refers to him as Boss, and he gathers information on Alienizers.

Shiratori Swan(played by Ishino Mako)-She is the mechanic for the Dekarangers. Everyone relies on her to perform maintenance on their machines, an she and Doggie have known eachother for awhile. She is referred as Swan-san.

Villians:
Alienizers-These are alien criminals. When the Dekarangers capture one, they are rendered judgement by the highest court in all the galaxy.

Catchphrases

DekaRed: One, I hate evil being done to people!
DekaBlue: Two, to stop mysterious incidents!
DekaGreen: Three, for the future of scientific investigation!
DekaYellow: Four, to prevent intergalactic evil from doing as it pleases!
DekaPink: Five, to finish this, right away!

Vehicles/Mecha/Items/Weapons
Vehicles:

Within the Dekabase are kept the DekaMachines and DekaVehicles. Each Dekaranger has a DekaMachine that they operate. The DekaVehicles are used to go out on patrol and get around the city. The DekaVehicles can combine to make the Dekaranger Robo.

Patrol Striker is operated by Ban.

Patrol Gyrer is operated by Hoji.

Patrol Trailer is operated by Sen-chan.

Patrol Armor is operated by Jasmine.

Patrol Signal is operated by Umeko.

Items:

The SP License is what is given to the Special Police. It has three modes: Change mode, Phone mode, and Judge mode. In change mode, the phrase, "Emergency, Dekaranger!" is called out, and they are transformed. Phone mode works like an everyday phone, with options for tracking signals and data collection. Judge mode is used to judge an Alienizer for approval for deletion.

Trivia

"Deka" is Japanese slang for a Keiji(detective). It is sometimes written over the kanji for Keiji.

Reasons to watch

Dekaranger just has a charm to it. It's amusing, yet it has it's serious moments. The show proliferates each character well, and gives a good story. It's a good entry point if you've never watched Sentai or have seen Power Rangers. It also works well as a cop show, which is an integral part of it all, of course. Give it a shot, you'll like it.

Comments and suggestions are of course welcome.
Last edited by wanmoke on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tatsulot
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger

Post by Tatsulot »

Dekaranger makes you want to finish the show. the climax is amazing but i'll stop right there cuz i dont want to spoil it.
Ore, Sanjou!

Subete o hakaishi, subete o tsunage......
superanimefreak
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: I quite this site
2nd Favorite Series: I quite this site
Dreamy: I quite this site
Favorite Actor?: I quite this site
Favorite Band: I quite this site
My boom: I quite this site
Quote: I quite this site

Post by superanimefreak »

LOL on the image with Umeko, Her eyes look funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I quite this site
masterroshi
Number 6
Number 6
Quote: The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Post by masterroshi »

Absolutely fantastic series. I love it so much, though the youtube page bothers me by audio displacing. >:(
But for a full analysis on the show, it's a great blend of comedy, character development, and action. The main Rangers are memorable, which I almost never see (I am not a major fan of Sentai), and Doggy Kruger is easily one of the best Rangers of all time. I love how the show tends to mix crime drama and police stories with the science fiction. The 'monsters' are some of my favorites in Sentai (if not Tokusatsu itself), mainly because they are not treated like monsters, but almost like supervillains and real criminals. Though most share that pure evil quality, many of the enemies have their own little quirks and mannerisms that really become appealing to the viewer. The Japanese Broodwing is a fantastic nemesis, far beyond the ridiculous Emperor Grumm, Morgana, American Broodwing, and Omni. His ruthless attitude and emotionless demeaner make him extremely entertaining to see on screen.
The 'Zords' are fanastic, and some of the coolest out there. I mean, a giant gun?! With giant bullets?! So awesome it hurts. And the Dekabase becoming a robot is one of my favorite mecha in any Tokusatsu show. I normally find the vehicle bots generally dull, and yet Dekarangers' were great to watch in action.
And speaking of action, the fighting is easily some of the best in the Sentai I've seen. The Dekared gun fights are incredibly fluid, and keep the speed without feeling dumbed down like something in the vain of "The Matrix," and the hand to hand combat is both brutal and colorful without overexposing either. Granted there are some rather poor episodes, but they are very far and few in between.
I haven't seen the entire series yet, but from what I've gathered "Dekaranger" gets a solid 4.5/5, and when I finish the series, I expect it will get an even higher rating.

Return to “Show Summary Site”