I love watching this show with my 3 year old.

Fire!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
bearshat
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

I love watching this show with my 3 year old.

Post by bearshat »

My almost three year old son and I are avid fans of Rescue Fire.

I first watch the show without him and use VDUB to edit out all the fighting, monster and generally scary scenes. Poof! A 22 minute show becomes an 8 minute show.

So what's left? Of course we love the vehicle CGI launch scenes and the Chakasou transformations. We also love watching the cultural scenes from the restaurants, zoos, beach ect.. The fighting finishing scene is surprisingly non-violent and very cool. (Basically, a car smashing against a block of ice every week. No need to edit that out.)

For his upcoming birthday, I ordered a Fire Dragon DX, Rescue Fire 1, 2 and 3 vinyl dolls, and a few small rescue cars from Japan. Too bad this series is canceled. After editing, this show has much more for him to see than Kamen Rider or Sentai. I hope there is third series some time in future.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: I love watching this show with my 3 year old.

Post by takenoko »

Huh, well that's cool I guess. Can't wait till he's old enough to watch the full version. Overall I don't think Rescue Fire has that many scary scenes though
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Is this a joke?
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

Yeah, what happened, take? Normally this is the point where you go on about parents coddling their children. =P Or is there a cutoff point?

I guess I'll take over *ahem* In a purely devil's advocate role, of course.

Doesn't cutting the fighting out of a show like this rather defeat the purpose, the underlying message, of almost any show like this? Sentai, Rescue series, even to a lesser extent Kamen Rider - that a goal is something you have to work for and strive towards? What's the expression, "Evil only wins when good men do nothing"? Doesn't editing out all the strife and toil the heroes have to go through to claim victory and restore peace basically teach "Good men can still do almost nothing and still win"?

I wouldn't say that any of these shows are particularly scary, nor is the combat immensely visceral - and ten points says your kid's gonna start play-fighting with the toys once he gets them anyway. So what we're essentially left with is a message that you should try crashing cars into large blocks of solid objects. Who are these villains? Why do the Rescue team need to fight them?

It also removes another underlying message about the correct way to use power. That villains use it for harming the innocent, and whilst the heroes are forced to use it in the same way - to destroy - they do so only to destroy the wicked, and protect the innocent.

Just some food for thought.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, I'm not exactly sure if I think a 3 year old is a person yet. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me?

I guess I wouldn't put on a scary mask and go "oogabooga" to a baby, because it doesn't know the difference. A 3 year old isn't going to appreciate story telling or character development, it's the TV equivalent to super casual gaming
bearshat

Post by bearshat »

LOL. Three year olds definitely think differently.

I edit out the violence because at his age, kids will copy what they see. The last thing I want is for him to start kicking and punching someone. At that point, Mommy will say no more to any Toku in our house. A potentially sad day. (And of course, I will get the blame for letting him watch it.)

As for what he will do with the vinyls when he gets them. I already know. I let him play with my vinyl GoRangers. He uses them to play restaurant, supermarket ect. He doesn't do play fighting yet but I know that day will come soon. I will make sure I get some Ultraman kaiju vinyls so he can beat up some proper villains.

Watching toku is a nice way for us to bond and for me to pass on that toku love.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Very young kids can be hard to predict.

My 2 year old niece seems fearless most of the time. Strangely enough, she gets scared when Spongebob Squarepants overreacts to fear and there is scary music to go along with it.
Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Zazelle »

Arigomi wrote:Very young kids can be hard to predict.

My 2 year old niece seems fearless most of the time. Strangely enough, she gets scared when Spongebob Squarepants overreacts to fear and there is scary music to go along with it.
Lol, who knew Spongebob Squarepants was scary.

It's really sweet of you to do that for your son, although I think it's a bit too early to let him watch that sort of stuff.

Return to “Tomica Hero Rescue Fire”