Name error?

40 years of Ultraman come
together in this epic show.
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Post Reply
ZombieT
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:27 am

Name error?

Post by ZombieT » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:57 am

Are you sure the name isnt supposed to be Möbius/Moebius? I have only seen the intro so far but they do show a moebius strip in it.
Image

Oh and sorry to make my first post a complaint. I love the work you are doing :)

User avatar
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Posts: 28739
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector
Location: Yami ni umare, yami ni kisu
Contact:

Post by takenoko » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:01 pm

http://hicbc.com/tv/mebius/

I think the show knows what its own name is.

Remember Japanese is a phonetic language and that a Möbius strip is a German word in origin. Since it can be pronounced may-be-us, having the e there makes snese.

ZombieT
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:27 am

Post by ZombieT » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 pm

takenoko wrote:I think the show knows what its own name is.
I dont know man. Ive seen plenty of mangas and other japanese products who have bothe spelling errors and horrible grammar in their names.

But ok, if the error is by the original makers then there is no sence in correcting it.

User avatar
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Posts: 28739
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector
Location: Yami ni umare, yami ni kisu
Contact:

Post by takenoko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 am

ZombieT wrote:I dont know man. Ive seen plenty of mangas and other japanese products who have bothe spelling errors and horrible grammar in their names.

But ok, if the error is by the original makers then there is no sence in correcting it.
Agreed, but Mebius is the official spelling. It's obviously referring to a moebius strip, since you see it in the logo and in his attacks. I wouldn't call it an error, since it seems like the spelling is intentional.

Jim Ballard
Go Go!
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:28 am

Post by Jim Ballard » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:47 pm

Takenoko is correct. While it is certainly best translated into English as "Möbius", Tsuburaya went with "Mebius" as the official spelling. To stick with Ultraman examples, look what they did with European words in ULTRAMAN NEXUS; "Enfance" became "Anphans", "Jeunesse" became "Junis", "Kurain" into "Klein", etc.

I suppose it's worth considering that real words cannot be copyrighted, while these new renderings can.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Ultraman Mebius”