2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 01 Released

Post by Magenta »

Excuse me a second, let me catch my breath.

After ages of deliberating, proroguing and a ton of effort, we present the first episode of our new secret super-duper project:

Yes! PreCure 5

Thank you, thank you, you're too kind.

This is a project I've personally wanted to do for a while - a rarity in my case being a magical girl series I actually find enjoyable. It's got a great team dynamic, manages to be campy enough to be enjoyable above and beyond it's simplicity, and even manages to get a bit of manservice in. And really, what more do you need?

Special thanks go to Rephira, our translator from Twilight Revelations, who very graciously agreed to translate for us. Without him we wouldn't be here now, so a huge thanks to him for all his hard work and hopefully a lot more to come!

Of course, thanks also go to all the other staff - Lobster, my fellow miscreant of mirth and the real backbone of the project, ever dependant and always capable. AdamH and Rook, who've done a fantastic editing job above and beyond the call of duty to ensure everything is just so. Take, who gave us his blessing and has kept a guiding eye over us and made sure all goes well. And, of course, our wonderful QC staff who ensured that even once the ep was done there was still plenty more to do.

PC5 is a show that's been partially done before, but never completed. A few groups tried to resume where their predecessors left off, and I believe attempts are once again in the works to do, but we wanted to give this show our personal flavour and touch and get the whole thing done from start to finish (hopefully!)

So with that out the way, let's talk about the show and show off a few notes about the episode.

Episode Notes:
  • Our protagonist's name, Yumehara Nozomi. Yumehara means 'a field of dreams', whilst Nozomi means 'wish' or 'hope'. The show is pretty blatant about it's names and it's pretty easy to tell who's going to be doing what from the name meanings. Hence I think I'll stagger them and give you the rest of the names as they become relevant. Maybe one an episode! How does that sound? Excellent.

The poster showing Urara early in the episode is a pun that, I thought, would only work in Japanese. Her name 'urara' is used in the adjective 'urarakana' meaning 'bright' or 'glorious'. Obviously, I thought, that would be pretty hard to replicate in English - but then I found the rather brilliant word 'auroral', a synonym for 'bright'. Hence, we combine the two and get 'auraral' - which, whilst having nothing to do with ears, does preserve both the meaning and the pun even if it does look a bit silly. XD

The script Urara is carrying, for 'Cure Heart 9', is attributed to a station called 'TV Yuuhi'. This is a pun on TV Asahi, the station that PreCure airs on.

A tanuki is a type of raccoon dog native to Japan. In folklore they were often considered to be possessive of human-like qualities, with some believing the shapeshifting tanuki was a tsukumogami - an average inanimate object that becomes sentient upon having existed for a hundred years. Yay folklore.

The pun Nozomi has calling Coco 'burned Cocoa' is based on his verbal tick. As he ends all his sentences with "-coco" anyway, when he says his name it becomes "Coco-coco" and Nozomi thinks he says "Koge-cocoa" - burned Cocoa. The more you know.

And aren't Lobster's effects for Dream's abilities absolutely gorgeous? Round of applause there I think.

Purely from a subbing standpoint, I hate that goddamn line about coconuts in the ED. It makes no goddamn sense, it's a poor metaphor even in Japanese and it just looks ridiculous in English yet it's so literal you can't do anything about it. *rages angrily!*
Anyway, that's enough ranting from me I think. Enjoy the show!
ima sugu shutsudoukable
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 01 Released

Post by jonty »

Everyone count the butterflies added by the typesetters. Report back with your findings.
garfield15
Save the life
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Saki-chan
Favorite Band: FLOW
My boom: Nintendo Wii

Post by garfield15 »

Excuse me as I wig out and roll around on the floor like a little girl after seeing TV-N doing an anime again.
------------------
Thank you TV-Nihon for the release

(This way I don't have to write it every time and I'm still showing appreciation!")
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Magenta wrote:Wall of text
I remember the last time we did Sailor Moon
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

kiss my sweet soft coconuts
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze

Post by Magenta »

LobsterHime wrote:kiss my sweet soft coconuts
no
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Your mother.

Post by Podima »

Take a careful look at the proportions implied by this screenshot.

Scream.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Finally - I can talk about this show openly. :p

I have to admit to being a fan of magical girl anime when they're done right. Sailor Moon, Fairy Musketeer Akazukin, PowerPuff Girls Z (would that be considered magical girl? I'm not sure) and Tokyo MewMew were the only ones I could think of that actually got it right until I saw this one. It was a pleasure to QC and I'm looking forward to the rest of the show. Nozomi is adorable and the perfect kind of lead character for this kind of show. I like how they seem to be incorporating girls of different ages here, whereas most of the Sailor Moon cast were around the same age (not that that was bad thing, but it seems a lot of MG shows follow that pattern and it's nice to see one mix it up a bit).

Also, when I saw all those butterflies everywhere, I half expected to see Smart Lady pop up....
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

Umm, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but hasn't this already been done up to 20 in HD by Arienai, and 21-24 (SD only) by Eggplant?
MisterEd
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by MisterEd »

Thanks for doing this show. It's a shame that the other groups couldn't finish this show, but I hope you folks are able to. The typesetting, encode, and translation are great, and I'm looking forward to more episodes.

Thanks again!
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

Post by Magenta »

arromdee wrote:Umm, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but hasn't this already been done up to 20 in HD by Arienai, and 21-24 (SD only) by Eggplant?
Magenta wrote:PC5 is a show that's been partially done before, but never completed. A few groups tried to resume where their predecessors left off, and I believe attempts are once again in the works to do so, but we wanted to give this show our personal flavour and touch and get the whole thing done from start to finish (hopefully!)
To elaborate, we really wanted to do the whole show. Our community is pretty dedicated - I don't think we have a great proportion of fairweather viewers who are here for one particular show, etc. To basically say to them "Here's ep 25 of a show, go get the other 24 yourself", especially when I knew from experience when I first got into this show that they're rather hard to track down, is a bit of a dick move.

That, and I think it's nice to give a show a bit of a personal touch. Arienai's version is what got me into the show in the first place, and it's good and all I'm not doubting that, but there's something to be said for going the whole show through, experiencing it as a group and sharing it with your viewers. I must admit to not having watched the entire show through myself yet entirely - I stopped around ep 32 or so once we'd drummed up a full set of staff - so it'll be fun for me to do that too, and hopefully fun for everyone else on the staff, and hopefully fun for everyone watching.

I'm also incredibly tired as I type this so excuse me for not getting my point across very well. XD
MisterEd wrote:Thanks for doing this show. It's a shame that the other groups couldn't finish this show, but I hope you folks are able to. The typesetting, encode, and translation are great, and I'm looking forward to more episodes.

Thanks again!
Merci beaucoup~! It's been a lot of hard work. Lobster poured his heart and soul into the effects and they are just gorgeous, aren't they? The encoding setup's been through a lot of revisions to get it just so and I'm pleased with the results at the filesize. And Rephira and our editing team have done an awesome job with the script, so I'm damn proud that this is the release that's gotten me back involved with the fansubbing business as were. XD
ima sugu shutsudoukable
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

Okay, sorry then. I missed that paragraph. You do wonderful work and it's not fair to think you didn't know about the others when you obviously do.
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
My boom: Your mother.

Post by Podima »

The encoding setup's been through a lot of revisions to get it just so and I'm pleased with the results at the filesize.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

Post by Magenta »

Podima wrote:
Magenta wrote:The encoding setup's been through a lot of revisions to get it just so and I'm pleased with the results at the filesize.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Yeah, I should probably mention that this encode is the 6th 'final' encode of this. A brief history.

1st Encode: We forgot to put in the QC credits. Many laughs were had at a trivial, easily-fixable mistake.
2nd Encode: Somehow a line wrap didn't go through due to the manual placement of the line (one of Komachi's in the library) that caused it to go off the side of the screen. WHOOPS!
3rd Encode: After sending the encode to my typesetter to check it became apparent I was missing one of the fonts he'd used. Looked okay to me without it, but, ya know. XD
4th Encode: As an artifact of the QC process we had a line with two verbs - an old one and one I meant to CHANGE it to but accidentally ADDED. This left us with the brilliant line "I will never hand give them to you!" At this point annoyance was starting to creep in.
5th Encode: There was a missing 'the' in one line. Enough to utterly screw with the grammar, so, re-encode.
6th Encode: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. "But Magenta, there's a comma that shouldn't be there on line numb-" THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »