Doing Pointless Things for Stupid Reasons

Cancelled
LobsterHime
7X

Doing Pointless Things for Stupid Reasons

Post by LobsterHime »

Softsub x264+aac in mkv container. View with latest CCCP in a CCCP-compatible player (Media Player Classic and ZoomPlayer are both included with CCCP).

"Effects" edition (default) will show splash, karaoke, and some advanced typesetting. Switching to "Raw" edition will display original video.

File should be viewable in MPlayer and its derivatives (such as SMPlayer or MPlayer OSX Extended). Viewing experience in MPlayer should be similar to "Raw" edition with "Standard" subtitle track. Try

Code: Select all

mplayer -ass -sid 0 "[T-N_&_twrev]_Yes!_PreCure_5_01_(Cyborg_Edition)_[331A2F3D].mkv"
VLC simply will not play these files.

edit3: deleted outdated information and moved ordered chapter files to this post and youtube links to next post (the way it should have been if i wasn't stupid).
DDL Links:
Ep1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BY4MJTJV
Ep2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6BYQPTZE
Ep3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6X6DKX2I
Ep4: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9OVVAWK5
Last edited by LobsterHime on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
LobsterHime
7X

Re: Doing Pointless Things for Stupid Reasons

Post by LobsterHime »

direct to youtube subbing

a lot of the pc5 and heartcatch videos i uploaded were flagged for copyright infringement so i deleted them all.
Last edited by LobsterHime on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aetheron
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

On LobsterHime's MKV Files...

Post by Aetheron »

First of all...

THANK YOU TV-NIHON for subbing this anime; I had nearly given up hope that it would ever be subbed.

THANK YOU LobsterHime for the MKV remuxes - I'm a softsub fan myself, and the higher bitrate (especially on the audio) is nice.

Okay, so here's my question for anyone who has watched the MKV remuxes...

Is it just my setup or are there audio artifacts at certain scene transitions in the MKV files? In particular, listen to Episode 3 around these points...

14:16
14:42
19:09
20:10
20:33
20:46

I'd just assume audio artifacts in the raws, but it seems that whenever there is a transformation or attack scene start there is a "peaking sound" artifact of some sort. I don't hear it in the subbed AVI's nor do I hear it in the raws that I believe are being used (l33t-raws). I'm using MPC-HC v1249 with the latest FFDSHOW.

Does anyone else notice this? If so, any idea what is causing this particular phenomenon?

Regardless, thank you for these awesome subs and thank you for anyone who offers their input.

-Aetheron
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

tl;dr: No, it's not just you. If you switch over to the Raw edition and seek to those points you'll notice the audio is clean. The audio artifacting is probably due to lazy encoding.

The "I love to hear myself type" explanation:
Spoiler
The type of switching I attempted is a bit different compared to other fansubbers who are making use of ordered chapters. While I've read about other people using ordered chapters to make a continuous "playlist" using segment linking and for OP-/ED-less playback, I think this experiment is unique. I tried to provide some of the benefits of hardsubbing and softsubbing in the same file. Somewhere along the line I realized this was a Bad Idea (tm) and still decided to take it about 3 steps further.

A little background: ordered chapters in matroska have to all contain the same number of tracks and those tracks have to all use the same codecs. You can't, as far as I know, create a virtual timeline with some video segments containing no audio and overlay an audio track with the real timeline at playback.

To create the real timeline I simply trimmed the sections that needed to be hardsubbed and spliced them at the end of the video, after the raw frames. In most cases, I tried to cut at points where there is either almost no sound (op/ed lead-in/-out) or a lot of noise (metamorphose, attacks). It doesn't work out in practice because probably the way Haali's splitter buffers audio <or something more complex than i want to look into>. In other words I have no idea and didn't research it further because I was hoping either nobody would notice, or nobody would be downloading these eps.

The artifacting could maybe be reduced by trimming more frames before the required switch point but then again it might just shift when you hear that annoying click. Maybe future updates in splitter technology will alleviate or eliminate the problem. In the meantime, I just finished a program to generate chapter timecodes directly from frame numbers which might make audio switching more precise. Alternatively it could make the problems worse.

Interesting note: the audio bitrate is higher simply because I didn't want to mess around with audio settings and 128k was the default. This means that to achieve the same filesize as the official release, the video is actually lower bitrate (even lower than you'd think because there's an extra ~3.5 minutes of video/audio to encode). Thanks to the magic of x264, there's little to no quality loss overall compared to the xvid encode. I could probably get away with lowering audio bitrate too, since aac is also a better codec than mp3.
Aetheron
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by Aetheron »

Thank you LobsterHime for the explanation. Glad to know my hearing is still working properly!

And now for my selfish request, would it be possible to offer an MKV with just the enhanced effects and not the chapter marks that (if I'm understanding your post correctly) cause the audio to skip? If not, perhaps the .ass files so they can be paired with the raws? (I'm sure they can be extracted but my encoding days kind of ended back when encoding XviD/MP3 into an AVI on a Hyper-Threading P4 was the big thing...)

Here's why I'm making this request (rather than just switch to the no-FX version) - besides the fact that I LOVE the special effects in the subtitles, I'm building an HTPC-based home theater that relies on a remote called the SnapStream FireFly. It's a great and incredibly flexible XML-based device, but it cannot control the Haali Splitter in the System Tray at all, so I cannot switch it to raw mode in MPC-HC, nor can I have it default to RAW. 90% of the entire purpose of this HTPC is to stream Anime from my media server, and YPC5 is one of my very favorites.

If you would be so kind as to help me out with my selfish request you would have my eternal gratitude (not that that counts for anything...). If you cannot I understand and appreciate all the effort you already put in for us MKV lovers.

Thank you!
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

First of all, no, I can't provide .ass files.

The mkv encodes were to test the possibility of releasing a single file that could use softsubs and include hardsubbed karaoke, without forcing people who don't like karaoke to watch those parts. I then took it Too Far (tm) by deciding to apply the same principle to the flashy attack/transformation effects that some people like (and I enjoy doing) but are hated by other members of the fansub community.

If you just want to watch with karaoke and the flashy effects, why not just go with the official avi release?
If you want, for some odd reason, to watch with karaoke, no effects, and no subtitles, the youtube versions I uploaded are same quality as the xvid and look nice even in fullscreen mode. Just turn off youtube captions.
Aetheron
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by Aetheron »

Thanks for the reply.

It turns out that all I had to do is remove 2 of the streams in the MKV file to achieve what I was trying to do. (That is, be able to watch your MKV files with the higher audio bitrate while retaining full control with a FireFly remote) I lose the special effects, but I can certainly deal with that.

Thanks again LH!
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

even easier would have been to remux with the default chapter flag swapped from "effects" to "raw" very quick process if you know what you're doing. you can also use just mkvtoolnix to cut/join the hardsubbed segments into the video without re-encoding if you're so inclined. you just need to extrapolate the frames from the chapter times... should i include the trim commands as an attachment from now on or something?
Aetheron
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by Aetheron »

You're absolutely right LH, changing the default streams would have been just as easy as dropping the streams that I didn't want. I assume MKVtoolnix (what I used to delete the streams in the first place) is my tool of choice for that, but if you can suggest a better tool, I'm all ears...

As for your second question, how about going to a complete softsubbed scheme? Now, you're a much more experienced encoder/muxer than I, but I guess I fail to see the advantages of hardsubs outside of support for legacy PC's/hardware. Especially if complete softsubs gets rid of the little blips that are currently present, that would be excellent - I could have my cake (the special subFX) and eat it too (no blips). But if not, I'm perfectly happy with swapping the default stream to the plain subs.

Thanks again LH!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

You know all those fancy effects that we do? It's not a good idea to do them softsubbed for two reasons. One, those effects would be render in real time and would be taxing for most CPUs especially for karaokes. Two, most players may or may not know how to do those effects. That's why you see in most anime fansubs that they do karaoke effects not softsubbed but hardsubbed instead while the rest of the dialogue is softsubbed.
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

ehhh, i'm not sure. the "switchable hardsub" experiment really was a stepping stone toward youtube subs. now that i stopped doing those i've been reluctant to pick up the ordered chapters as well.

we had considered adding h.264 as a standard release format for PC5 when we started heartcatch, but decided that since we started with xvid for official releases, we'll stick with it (despite how much i prefer h.264). releasing two formats for the same resolution makes no sense either. i can't use softsub for official release due to internal politics (this thread could actually be closed at any time for even discussing softsub, actually). and, as phoenix mentioned, even if we wanted to do full softsub, i made some pretty cpu-intensive typesets that would slow down playback on some computers (namely karaokes and the series logo, both which can lag a bit even when using DXVA hardware decoding on my pentium4; metamorphose was ok, though i haven't tried rouge-aqua all of which are slightly more complex than dream's) and i'm not willing to sacrifice those.

maybe after heartcatch is all caught up (should be by this weekend) i'll whip up a bunch of mkvs for pc5. i'm not sure if i'll return to the ordered chapters format or explore something new.
Aetheron
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by Aetheron »

Totally understood, guys. I'm sorry if I made this thread spiral out of control.

I'd greatly appreciate you continuing to release the unofficial MKV's, LobsterHime, if just for the better audio quality. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, does dropping the ordered chapters feature mean that the blips that I first mentioned would no longer be present? If so, you just made my day!

Whatever you decide to do, thank you LH and thank you TV-Nihon.

Return to “Yes! PreCure 5”