2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 03 Released

Post by Magenta »

Sup everyone. It's been less than a month since ep 2 came out, and we've had a few issues to sort out as... well, I'm sure you've guessed from the filename. So I'd like to welcome on board our new translator, me. Say hi to me. Also, it's my birthday! Yaaaaaay!

But enough ego-fluffing, it's time for another episode of...

Yes! PreCure 5

In which creepy girls run at the camera and a bizarre new form of sign language is discovered.

Nothing else of note really happens. New villain? New Precure? The fledgling signs of a team dynamic? This is irrelevant compared to the joys of overly complex words in a children's show. Anyway.

Episode Notes:
  • Today on the naming theatre, let's delve into Kasugano Urara. The kanji 'kasuga' used in her name mean simply a 'spring day'. 'no' is a fairly common little name suffix in Japanese, and as such it's best to not try and give it meaning, but if you must then the most likely one is a field or plain. 'Field on a Spring Day' or somesuch, then.

Urara meanwhile is derived from the adjective 'urarakana', meaning bright, glorious. In the sense that you'd describe a really nice sunny day, referring back to her surname. This explains that advert we saw her in on the bus in episode 1 - do you remember that? It was a long time ago. But it encouraged you to get closer to nature in 'urarakana spring'. I believe the exact translation we used was 'aurural' as a pun on 'auroral'. Look it up, it's a word!

With regards to 'Effervescent'. Some of my coworkers were a little against the usage of the word due to it's rarity - as was I at first (for entirely the wrong reasons, but let's ignore that. XD). However, there's really nothing else that works in every role they use the word 'hajikeru' in that doesn't sound... really silly. Also, the way they treat 'hajikeru' as such an odd thing to fill out the roster means it's more acceptable to use an odd word as it's translation.

I tried to make Gamao's translations sound as brash and... succinct as his rather to-the-point grammar. My editor informed me that this made him sound like a 1950s gangster, however, so it got cleaned up a bit. XD

Also, Lobster's effects remain absolutely gorgeous. Did you know he remakes the Metamorphose effect for each new Cure due to the slight differences in the acceleration of their butterfly ring?
Also, any feedback on the incompetence of the new translator is appreciated. He needs taking down a few pegs.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 03 Released

Post by takenoko »

Magenta wrote:With regards to 'Effervescent'. Some of my coworkers were a little against the usage of the word due to it's rarity - as was I at first (for entirely the wrong reasons, but let's ignore that. XD). However, there's really nothing else that works in every role they use the word 'hajikeru' in that doesn't sound... really silly. Also, the way they treat 'hajikeru' as such an odd thing to fill out the roster means it's more acceptable to use an odd word as it's translation.
That's colleague to you!

I still like "popping" for hajikeru since that's what it actually means. Also, who knows what the word effervescent means anyway?
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

takenoko wrote: I still like "popping" for hajikeru since that's what it actually means. Also, who knows what the word effervescent means anyway?
emphasis added.

We're really desperate to move forward with PC5, so there's no choice but to settle for working with magenta. It'll be a long time before he's ready to translate other shows.
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Rescue Fire/Double
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o/Magi/Deka
Dreamy: Philip/Shoutarou
My boom: Qsuke!

Post by Alkaid »

Ah, yeah for a Precure 5 release!

The episode dynamic was cute and Urara seems like a fun character to learn more about so I enjoyed the episode as well. Seems the one-an-episode dynamic works the best here as well so it's good to get more background information than a more mainstream show would do. (aka - Here's the team, you'll meet them all later in character-driven episodes!)

And you used the Kin-chan picture! :D *I am happy*

Also, since it has not yet been mentioned; Happy *Belated* Birthday!
Yuusuke: BLACK RX?
Decade. No... This is... Saban's Masked Rider no Sekai. Alright, let's go.
Natsumi: WHAT? You're not going to help this world's Rider?
Decade: BELIEVE ME, it's better if they all die.

Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Zazelle »

Effervescent is a French word meaning sparkly (it has other meanings, but this one makes more sense) which basically suits Urara's element.

It's not that rare really, at least not in French.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze

Post by Magenta »

Hooray, time for the first episode of "Magenta's Fuckup Theatre".

So I was browsing the PreCure Livejournal community today (Stop lurking, Mary!) and someone pointed out I made a pretty silly little mishearing error in this episode. Nozomi's father states, fairly early into the episode, that Nozomi's mother works at a beauty salon (biyouin). However, this (fairly uncommon to me as a male not having an interest in nail polish) word sounds almost exactly like the far more common 'hospital' (byouin) so I... really didn't bother to think too much on it.

Now, this would be a fairly understandable error to make under normal circumstances, were it not for the very first thing under Nozomi's mother's entry on the JP Wikipedia being "Nozomi's mother. Works at a beauty salon."

And so, to any budding translators out there, a warning.

Do your damn research. XD

Thanks to Obscurities on the LJ community for pointing it out, and to samuelp for making me feel better about myself for having made the exact same mistake themselves at one point. XD
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Research? But that means spoilers. I think people like the translate by the seat of my pants style. To err is to be human!
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

(Yes I'm that lurker from the precure comm)

Honest mistake it seems; but I'm glad to see this getting on there. ^^

Also, for those that are NOT watching the comm; "effervescence" is actually official, by toei, so rest your minds on that. (Check the precure comm for the original translator's argument on that.)
My Backloggery
Never forget where you've been...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I just like harassing mag more than this is a serious translation argument

I more or less agree with the use of the word, although I think samuelp is trying to pull a fast one by saying fizzing means something different from popping, as fizzing is literally bubbles that pop

And byouin/hospital is a more common word that biyouin/beauty salon and sounds very similar. Seriously, does Samuelp think he's special or something to be the only one to mistake the two words?
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze

Post by Magenta »

*thwacks take*

Oi, play nice. ~_~
ima sugu shutsudoukable
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Actually if you looked, that mishear is prolly a pretty common mistake.

jitsch from the precure comm admitted he/she did it too. And I quote:
Heh, I made that mistake too, when I made some features about the series in German XD I think even some Japanese made that mistake, it just sounds too similar.
So don't beat him up too bad. ^^
My Backloggery
Never forget where you've been...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eh, I just didn't like seeing those responses. It seemed unnecessarily provocative to begin with
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I'm enjoying the episodes. So once again Nozomi tells her new friend that she & Rin are both Precure's, Coco & Rin definitely need to stop her from revealing their identities to everyone in the school. Though in Nozmi's defense Urara was spying on them from the bushes last episode. It's interesting watching Komachi & Karen judging from the way they've kinda presented them so far it seems as if the might be more than just good friends.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
darkcat1
Infinity

Post by darkcat1 »

I liked the villian in the first two episodes better but frog guy is still kinda intresting. Thanks agin guys ^^
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by HIDragonstar »

Out of Loyalty to TV-Nihon...

I downloaded and decided to watch an Anime Series that if was done by any other Sub group, I would have left it alone.

Now I find myself needing to take insulin shots to keep watching such a CUTE anime. And I have to keep doing it cause I'm getting addicted...
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.

Return to “Yes! PreCure 5”