2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 05 Released

Post by Magenta »

Oh right, there's that other show we're working on. I'd almost forgotten about that. It's called... shit, what the hell was it called? Oh right.
Yes! PreCure 5
Episode 05: The Right to Be a Precure
In which jelly is made out of inappropriate foodstuffs, the stress of villainy gets to Bumbee, and bad word puns are made on both sides of the good/evil spectrum.

Episode Notes:
  • We touched on the name meaning of Minazuki Karen last episode, so this time I'd like to talk about Bumbee, the awesome villain that makes our lives that little better. Like all of the villains here, the name is derived from the animal he turns into - in this case, it's merely a contraction of the lovely bumblebee.

Yeah, I'm falling back on these when I have nothing better to do. Don't worry, I won't insult your intelligence by explaining Archnea. SHE IS NAMED AFTER 'ARACHNIDS'.

Oops.

Actually, I'd like to share with you some behind-the-scenes stuff to kind of show our decision-making process. Take and I have been discussing on and off the merits of translating 'shikaku' as 'right'. As in 'the right' to be a Precure. I've been fairly for and take's been generally against - with good merit - and I think we've finally reached rather a stalemate. It's a phrase that is going to become fairly unimportant after this little mini-arc, so it's not something too worth worrying about - but I feel we had a quite interesting debate over it I'd like to share with you guys.

Spoiler
    [18:04:26] <takenoko> I dunno, do you still feel like being a Precure is a right?
    [18:05:06] <Magenta> Hrm. I dunno. In PC5, I'd say yes. HeartCatch it's a bit of a grey area. If it wasn't for PC5 I'd lean away from using it, but consistency kind of pulls it back towards 'right' there.
    [18:06:04] <Magenta> With PC5, definitely. It's like the zecters in Kabuto. They will fucking reject you if you don't possess the right qualities.
    [18:06:26] <takenoko> qualities? like qualification? :D
    [18:06:42] <Magenta> qualification implies actively doing something, though.
    [18:07:15] <Magenta> You take tests to qualify. You show you have a certain aptitude to qualify. This is something more deeper, more innate.
    [18:07:50] <takenoko> I dunno, Precure is kind of a role
    [18:07:56] <Magenta> HeartCatch hasn't really had the kind of episode they always do where the power gets abused or the person does something to make themselves unworthy of it, to see how the power reacts to that yet.
    [18:08:00] <takenoko> it's like you need qualifications to be a pilot
    [18:08:04] <takenoko> you need qualifications to be a precure
    [18:08:30] <takenoko> heartcatch seems all about the protagonists are the chosen ones
    [18:08:46] <takenoko> my grandmother was a precure or my sister has purple hair
    [18:08:54] <Magenta> Well, I more mean.
    [18:09:03] <Magenta> If you do something stupid in PC5, your butterfly will leave.
    [18:09:15] <Magenta> If you do something stupid in HC... what happens? Probably nothing, I'd wager. It's entirely tied to the Perfume.
    [18:09:23] <Magenta> Once you've been given that by your fairy, can it be rescinded?
    [18:09:45] <Magenta> If they're going to do an episode like that in HC, I don't think it'll be until much later, so. We'll see. Anyway.
    [18:09:47] <takenoko> hmmm, well in pc5 I think of it more like a prerequisite for being a precure then
    [18:09:56] <takenoko> you need these qualities to be a precure
    [18:10:11] <takenoko> I guess?
    [18:10:32] <Magenta> Yes, that's basically how I see it.
    [18:10:44] <Magenta> 'Prerequisite' is very unwieldy though.
    [18:11:05] <takenoko> yeah, but that's more or less the meaning I'm thinking of
    [18:11:28] <Magenta> Well, I kind of thought about it by looking at it situationally.
    [18:11:53] <Magenta> Most of them got their powers by showing a willingness to put themselves in danger to help the others
    [18:12:25] <Magenta> It's not something I'd feel comfortable describing as 'qualifying', or meeting some 'prerequisite'. They've earned the right to those powers.
    [18:13:07] <takenoko> maybe if they had some sort of license to be a precure
    [18:13:14] <Magenta> The other thing is, and I think this is especially important in these two episodes.
    [18:13:43] <Magenta> Is both qualification and prerequisite are very superficial words.
    [18:14:03] <Magenta> Bad analogy time. Imagine I rush into a burning building and save a trapped person. I might qualify for some award for my bravery or something.
    [18:14:29] <Magenta> But if I do it entirely because I want to be heralded as some kind of hero for it, rather than out of a genuine desire to save the person, do I have the 'right' to earn that accolade?
    [18:14:51] <Magenta> I think that's most evident here, because Karen is still trying to do exactly the same thing the others did to 'qualify' for their powers. But she's doing it for the wrong reasons.
    [18:15:44] <takenoko> that's weird, I felt like right was a shallow word
    [18:15:50] <takenoko> since it sounds like self-entitlement
    [18:16:05] <takenoko> dese r mai rights!
    [18:16:34] <Magenta> It is pretty shallow if used about yourself, sure. But it's more powerful when used by someone else.
And then we started talking about if Coffret had a penis.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Yes! PreCure 5 - Episode 05 Released

Post by Phoenix512 »

I didn't expect that Karen would be rejected for being a Precure but it makes the show a bit more fun to watch. The thing with Karen is that she didn't meet the true embodiment of being a Precure is all about. Sure she has the Intelligence quality but she feels that she can't rely on others and needs to do everything by herself. Also I think she tries to do everything because she is lonely and fills the void with work instead of companionship.

Bumbee looks like a badly designed supervillain from a comic book.
Liddo-kun
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Yes! Pretty Cure 5
2nd Favorite Series: True Tears
Quote: Shugo Chara fanatic

Post by Liddo-kun »

It's surprising that Karen cannot get Precure powers, even though she wanted to save everyone.

Or maybe the author of the story don't want to show Bumbee get defeated easily, probably because he's supposed to be one of the stronger villains. So Karen wasn't able to become a pretty cure on this episode.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Really a bumblebee, he looked more like a mothman to me. Well I guess we have to drag getting the final member of the team, it was interesting to see Karen be forced into another situation where she believes that she is once again doing all the work, only to have that notion suddenly taken away from her when her butterfly disappears.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
darkcat1
Infinity

Post by darkcat1 »

Karen needs to quit lying to herself and learn to trust others. At this point she thinks she has no one/can't reley on anyone so she gest temperorally rejected. No talking about previews

Thanks again TN...Keep up the good work here ^^
Last edited by Phoenix512 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No talking about previews

Return to “Yes! PreCure 5”