Interesting show, but not enough?

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
Joicerojo
7X
Favorite series: Kamen rider Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Haruto Sohma
Favorite Actor?: Satoh Takeru
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Neither the devil nor the grim reaper, just an assassin (Aya- Weiss Kreuz)
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Interesting show, but not enough?

Post by Joicerojo »

W is a very good series, maybe in my top 5 too, Akiko will be annoying, but not that much, the story is interesting and it will keep you entertained.

My only critique is that Renn Kiriyama (shotaro) sucks as an actor, this is not much noticeable because of Masaki Suda (Philip), which offers some counterbalance, other than that, you'll love it!...
Joice Rojo
I've become addicted to Kamen Rider & Takaiwa Seiji
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger

Post by MissTokuLover »

I disagree with you whole-heartedly, I think Kiriyama Renn is actually 1 of the better actors in the series and 1 of the best actors we've had in Tokusatsu, compared to all those stiff amateur actors we've had in Toku. At least Kiriyama is a convincing actor and is more flexible with his acting...most of the other amateur actors in Toku are so stiff and their acting so fake and unconvincing.

Go watch some of Kuriyama's other works, he's definitely 1 of the better young actors out there I've seen. Suda Masaki is a good actor too.
Joicerojo
7X
Quote: Neither the devil nor the grim reaper, just an assassin (Aya- Weiss Kreuz)

Post by Joicerojo »

MissTokuLover wrote:I disagree with you whole-heartedly, I think Kiriyama Renn is actually 1 of the better actors in the series and 1 of the best actors we've had in Tokusatsu, compared to all those stiff amateur actors we've had in Toku. At least Kiriyama is a convincing actor and is more flexible with his acting...most of the other amateur actors in Toku are so stiff and their acting so fake and unconvincing.

Go watch some of Kuriyama's other works, he's definitely 1 of the better young actors out there I've seen. Suda Masaki is a good actor too.
Well It is your opinion.. I just think that the delivery of his lines is awful, or maybe the character is that way
Joice Rojo
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

I think it's probably just his character that makes you feel that way...although I personally don't find anything wrong with his lines at all, to me, Shoutaro is a fine character as he is and Kiriyama portrayed him really well. No matter how the character is written, that's up to the writers, it has nothing to do with the actor.

I really recommend you watch Kiriyama's other works, most notably 'Switch Girl', 'Kichijoji no Asahina-kun' and his most recent drama 'Lost Days', you'll be able to see his flexibility & versatility as an actor.
Joicerojo
7X

Post by Joicerojo »

MissTokuLover wrote:I think it's probably just his character that makes you feel that way...although I personally don't find anything wrong with his lines at all, to me, Shoutaro is a fine character as he is and Kiriyama portrayed him really well. No matter how the character is written, that's up to the writers, it has nothing to do with the actor.

I really recommend you watch Kiriyama's other works, most notably 'Switch Girl', 'Kichijoji no Asahina-kun' and his most recent drama 'Lost Days', you'll be able to see his flexibility & versatility as an actor.
Off Topic: Point taken, I'll see where I can find these series
Joice Rojo
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I think it's important to note Shotaro is in-universe pretending to be something he's not. He's an emotional, easily-flustered guy putting on a deadened, Hard Boiled exterior because he read too much Hammett growing up and wants to be Sam Spade or the Continental Op, but he's not. He's just Shotaro.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

^ which is just as well because being 'half-boiled' suits Shoutaro better...growing up he strived to be this hard-headed and hard-boiled detective like his Narumi sensei whom he idolized and looked up to alot, but it's just not him. Being hard-boiled just didn't suit the kind of person Shoutaro truly is, on the exterior, he likes to act like a hard-boiled detective, but deep down he's just too empathetic and emotional to be hard-boiled. Being 'half-boiled' is what defines his character.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

Strange how a lot of people dislike Akiko... I really like her. Even if she's bothering, she's one of the rarest "fan-service-girl" who has a real personnality... in my opinion (by the time I just finished Kiva, Fourze, OOO, Wizard and I'm currently watching Gaim, Den-O and W)
HW-DiEnd wrote: But be careful.Watching Kamen Rider W can get you addicted in the word ''Joker''.Since i watched W,6 months ago,i keep saying ''Joker!Joker! Joker! Maximum Drive!!'' everytime.This will make you buy the toys and other suff related to the series.
My god. Everytime someone around me is saying Joker (playing cards, talking about batman, saying he is an ace) in my head I just hear "Cyclone ! ... Joker !"

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
Joicerojo
7X

Post by Joicerojo »

Glutinus wrote:
HW-DiEnd wrote: But be careful.Watching Kamen Rider W can get you addicted in the word ''Joker''.Since i watched W,6 months ago,i keep saying ''Joker!Joker! Joker! Maximum Drive!!'' everytime.This will make you buy the toys and other suff related to the series.
My god. Everytime someone around me is saying Joker (playing cards, talking about batman, saying he is an ace) in my head I just hear "Cyclone ! ... Joker !"
Heheheheh. I kinda get what you mean... It happens to me also...
Joice Rojo
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

Okay I took my time and finally finished W.

Like OOO (which is currently my favorite Kamen Rider show), I liked the fact

Good points :
*Akiko : FINALLY a female support character who has a real personnality ! I always complain that lots of female characters are just here for fan service. I really like Akiko, she has always something to say and has her place in the detective office.
*Detective show : like Dekaranger (one of my favorite sentai) I was a first bit upset about the detective side and then it perfectly complete the story. There's always a lot of mystery.
*Wakana : love how the mystery remains and all the twists that exist between Philip and her. Was sad in the end.

Bad points :
* Rythm : always very slow, I thought the story will begin to turn to the fight with Museum and it occured very late... and even the end of Sonozaki was just THREE episodes prior the end, the final episodes were completely useless for me.
* Happy Ending : I don't understand the point to make Philip disappear and then appear again. It was better but harder for OOO for example.
* Two-episodes arc : it's a shame that we couldn't have longer arcs or even shorter (just one episode)
* Terui Ryuu : I don't like his face.
* Not a lof of explanation : didn't see the movie, but there was lacking a lot of things before the beginning of the show. We don't know what really occur in this first episode, who is Fang and lot of other stuff.

However this show was very good especially because there are TWO heroes. Actually, there are too much characters in sentai so we could make good character development and one in Kamen Rider is not enough... this show allows us to see the development of two heroes, in one.

Very good, thanks for the show and thanks for the translation.

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.

Return to “Kamen Rider W”