Kamen Rider W 1 released

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
Raida|23
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: too much to list

Re: Kamen Rider W 1 released

Post by Raida|23 »

About the Long Goodbye book, I remember I've read somewhere that it has been used as a reference for creatin the "detective's world" in Double -don't ask what they mean with this. Also, in the same place I've read that at first there was only one person-Shotaro- being the Rider, only after they choose the "two in one" thing. In the middle, there was a moment where they wanted Shotaro to be he Rider, but mergin himself with the "spirit" of his mentor [I guess this had to be Akiko's dad] Another thing, at first they wanted to call the town "Suito" -Water Town- and to be based in Venice [the italian one, of course]. Then they change to Fuuto, I guess because it's not simple/cheap to make a water city that looks like Venice.
Of course, lookin at Shotaro's looks and at how he pretends to be, to act, Tantei Monogatari [a '79 series about a detective comin back to Tokyo after some years in the USA] comes to mind too. To me at least.

I was also thinkin about the "old shows" feeling of Double people claims. There's a thing that could be an homage, or at least a reference, to the first Rider. And no, I'm not talkin of the scarf, but of another thing. Dopant and Double have pretty much the same origin: human beings havin superpowers thanks to the Gaia Memories. Just like the first Kamen Rider
Spoiler

Spoiler
was created by Shokker too
Last edited by Raida|23 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: JRPGs

Post by kaemmerite »

That's not really unique to the Showa series though...

(Spoiler about Riders in Heisei era)

Spoiler
The Heisei era Riders were usually related somewhat to the bad guys...Shinji contracted with a Monster, Takumi was an Orphenoch, Kenzaki's Blade system was basically using the power of the sealed Undead, Kiva was part Fangire...the only ones I can think of that broke this trend were Hibiki and Kabuto, though admittedly I haven't seen much of Kuuga or Agito so I'm not sure if they apply.
Sora124
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Blade/Kiva/Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O/Magi/Shinken
Dreamy: Eh?
Favorite Band: Sigur Ros
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Muzak

Post by Sora124 »

Argent wrote:I liked it! The concept and the main characters seem to have a nice balance of serious and comedic ability and the Half and Half Rider abilities are intriguing enough to want to see all the combinations in action.

Bonus points for showing a copy of The Long Goodbye, an excellent detective story and highly recommended by me - as are all the Phillip Marlowe stories. They even made a pretty good movie of it in the 70s starring Elliot Gould.

I give this premier episode 4 stars out of 4.
Don't know if this was mentioned already, but could this possibly be the reason for Phillip's name? Oh, the Japanese and their references...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

That's probably it. I guess it's worth mentioning that there's actually two copies of The Long Goodbye on the shelf, the other one being in Japanese
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Kammerite, you forgot Den-O.

Raida make that spoiler is true for all Showa riders. The only change is who does that. Sometimes good guys and other bad guys.

>Usually in Showa series, the main Rider is almost killed, but saved by undergoing a body-altering operation turning them into a cyborg. Something is definitely up with Phillip, but since he's not even the main "body" of the Rider, I think this one doesn't apply.

Not really. Many are just turned against their will, even though they are healthy. Others are turned because they want to. And some because they would die otherwise.

But I agree, I don't know where the Showa fell people mention comes from. It has nothing to do with Showa, except for the bug eyes and the scarf. Ok, the monsters are more flashy than most Heisei, but that isn't enough.

The opening sequence was very cool.

I'm happy with the female cast so far, all cute XD

How big is that billiard? I mean the "car" went pretty far.

I liked how Shoutaro is tries to act cool and serious but Akiko goes and breaks the tension and his cool. I think they'll develop a nice chemistry.

I thought they would merge physically. Thankfully its not the case. The Rider kick is kinda weird. But I'll get used to it.

Philip, surprisingly has a manly voice but he is kinda creepy.

And the coreography was just awesome. That suit actor is the man.

>And I love this suit actor. Takenoko you said it's the same guy from Den-O

In the Heisei era he was the main rider in all shows, except Hibiki and Kuuga.

Finally, I fear the responsability of dealing with the dopants will male the show eventually loose the detective bit. Either they'll create an artificial situation in which all of his cases are related to the dopants (kinda like the heroes in Faiz stumbled across the orphenocs) or they'll have to ditch detective activities to fight the kaijin. That wouldn't be cool, since this is what makes tis show original and "fresh".

Oh yeah, since the car is hollow, I guess he'll attach the bike and drive it with it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if they'll drop the detective bit. It really resembles the DekaRanger formula where the main bad guys aren't the individual crooks, but rather supply the crooks with the tools to make them dangerous enough to warrant the heroes having their powers.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

I don't know either. I FEAR they might do that. But I hope not. That would strip the show of its potential.

I hope the writers can manage to keep the detective bit. Especially if they can keep it even when the case doesn't involve the kaijin. Because only dealing with Kaijin related cases in a private agency would be too artificial. They could make that police guy discover they are doule and call them when its necessary. that would even create a nice conflict if they were in the middle of solving a case and were called...

But it is still too soon.
Raida|23
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: too much to list

Post by Raida|23 »

takenoko wrote:That's probably it. I guess it's worth mentioning that there's actually two copies of The Long Goodbye on the shelf, the other one being in Japanese
I guess other books are noir/hardboiled books as well.
rizefall
Swedish Meatball
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by rizefall »

I think this series will be pretty good :P

Looks intresting
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Aceship
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Me
Favorite Actor?: Ore
Favorite Band: Saya

Post by Aceship »

Dimension-Crash wrote:Also, Aceship, that is an AMAZING animated GIF!
Thanks DC

I think What happen If one of the double gaia memory(?) Is Changed with Another Memory

You should have waited until episode 2 was out before showing off - Phoenix512

Spoiler
No spoiling stuff - Phoenix512
"Keyword:Aceship"
"Searching"

Beware! Below of this is Safari Line(Spoiler)
Spoiler
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Uhm, he's a detective that investigates Dopants. I doubt they'll lose the detective bits to hunt for Dopants. I mean, as I can tell, the episode forumula is them finding out whether a Dopant is involved, and who the Dopant is, before they locate and fight him.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

m4rc0 wrote:They could make that police guy discover they are doule and call them when its necessary. that would even create a nice conflict if they were in the middle of solving a case and were called...
I am under the impression that Jin-san knows about Double by how he gave Shoutarou those pictures. One of those pictures actually had a vital clue that was needed to find Togawa Yousuke. Shoutarou commented about how it was just a coincidence that Marina's case was related to the Dopant case the police were investigating.

It seems the name of the town is also related to The Long Goodbye.
Fuuto > means Windy City > nickname of Chicago > birthplace of Raymond Chandler > wrote The Long Goodbye
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi Hikari
Favorite Actor?: Takanori Kikuchi
Favorite Band: Jonzun Crew
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: pantsu

Post by KamenRiderKnives »

did anyone else find the rubber arm and leg lame? when id heard about the telescopic limbs i was thinking more Inspector Gadget or Machine-Man than Mr Fantastic! :lol:
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

^ I didn't think it was lame. I mean, it's animation could have been better. Luffy from One Piece pulled it off really well. But then again One Piece was an anime so comparing it to that wouldn't be right.

Luna memory also reminds me of that boxer in Hajime no Ippo that had the Flicker Jab. Especially the part where he was literally flicking at the fireballs.

Double is off to a good start. Let's hope it doesn't lose its charm as it goes along.

[Is off to make a new sig] xD
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi Hikari
Favorite Actor?: Takanori Kikuchi
Favorite Band: Jonzun Crew
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: pantsu

Post by KamenRiderKnives »

yeah i think the bendy thing is fine in anime or manga (or cartoons and comics) but in real life...i dont like it... i know you can try too hard to work out how kamen Rider physics works in the real world (it doesnt) but i just cant say "wow that bendy arm and leg attack is really cool". im just of the school that would rather see less CGI than more of it

Return to “Kamen Rider W”