Kamen Rider Skull?

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.

Is Kamen Rider Skull a nod to Skull man?

Yes
78%
No
7%
(Witty third option)
15%

Total votes: 27
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: If it cannot hatch from its shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World.

Kamen Rider Skull?

Post by hunter-urufu »

This topic may have been adressed before, I don't know, but I thought it was interesting. Does any one else see Kamen Rider Skull as a nod to Skull man, a character from a manga by Ishinomori? I may be just grasping at straws, but besides sharing the skull motif and their mask/helmet/whatever looking similar, the chest part of Skull's suit reminds me of the symbol on Skull man's belt (Obviously in both cases it's supposed to be the ribs, but still.
I am a shadow....The true self....Knowledge is a burden for the strong...So what is your truth?

The dark bird who sees the truth from the cloud of the shadow! The All-knowing mind! Geki-Wing!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Skull?

Post by takenoko »

Yes
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: If it cannot hatch from its shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World.

Post by hunter-urufu »

takenoko wrote:Yes
MY thoughts as well, but I guess the next question would be, why? As in, why put a nod to the character in a not especially important series (I.E. Not an anniversery series, not a reboot/update/legacy series, Etc.) Although, I suppose it could be argued that while not explicitly any of those things, like decade was, W felt very much like the older series, so I guess in that regard it makes some amount of sense.
I am a shadow....The true self....Knowledge is a burden for the strong...So what is your truth?

The dark bird who sees the truth from the cloud of the shadow! The All-knowing mind! Geki-Wing!
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

SkullRider/SkullMan was the basis of Kamen Rider. Ishinomori first created SkullRider for manga and tv, but the production thought that he(and his story) was too violent. So Ishinomori did some changes and boom, Kamen Rider was born. Taki Kazuya, SkullRider can be considered the extra hero/third Rider for the original series.

So you see, Kamen Rider Skull was a great nod to the original series. Or so what I have learnt.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
erfrefefer
Adventure

Post by erfrefefer »

I definitely think so.
As to why put him in? Well cuz he looks pretty damn cool.
hunter-urufu
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by hunter-urufu »

erfrefefer wrote:I definitely think so.
Agreed, though I stand by my belief that wearing a hat ON TOP OF YOUR HELMET/MASK erodes that coolness a little, I more meant, why in W specifically?
{The caps are for emphisis.}

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if they really need a reason, but probably because it's part of the anniversary year. Same reason Shoutarou has the same name as the original creator and that they do stuff similar to the original Kamen Riders
Ichigo Uzumaki
Gao
Quote: So, count up your crimes

Post by Ichigo Uzumaki »

I knew skull reminded me of something, I just couldn't think of what. I full heartedly-agree.
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

hunter-urufu wrote:
erfrefefer wrote:I definitely think so.
Agreed, though I stand by my belief that wearing a hat ON TOP OF YOUR HELMET/MASK erodes that coolness a little, I more meant, why in W specifically?
{The caps are for emphisis.}
Because W was one big showa homage and Skullman was the base for the first Kamen Rider?

Return to “Kamen Rider W”