W Returns: Accel released (read first post before watching)

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

W Returns: Accel released (read first post before watching)

Post by Phoenix512 »

Accel does take place after the events of Movie War Core, so you have been warned ahead of time. As for the dedication part, Minoru Tanaka played Captain Shingo Sakomizu in Ultraman Mebius and recently died last month.

Actual movie talk

Spoiler
I really enjoy watching this and kinda wish for it to be a TV series. The OP sequence really sold me that it can work as a TV series. I really like how Sagami was portrayed as what Terui could have become if he continued on the path of hatred and revenge. I was a bit surprised of the Shirogane cameos but that's the W universe for you. I guess they were trying to get away from the Narumi Detective Agency.

I have to say that yellow is not Terui's color at all. Accel look good in red. Trial look good in blue. Booster doesn't look good at all in yellow. I wonder what's the power of Booster if Terui didn't injure his right leg.

Akiko was really dumb in this movie and was the only thing I didn't really like besides Booster's color. She didn't really have any trust in Terui at all because he didn't call her by her name. That's just real petty to me. I wouldn't mind if Terui went out with Aoi instead. She has a good head on those shoulders.

I like the outtakes especially of Shotarou accidently throwing the Joker Memory away.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: W Returns: Accel released (read first post before watchi

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Phoenix512 wrote:Akiko was really dumb in this movie and was the only thing I didn't really like besides Booster's color. She didn't really have any trust in Terui at all because he didn't call her by her name. That's just real petty to me. I wouldn't mind if Terui went out with Aoi instead. She has a good head on those shoulders.[/spoiler]
Thank you. She's the one reason as to why I can't rewatch this movie. Ever since the end of A to Z with her "Please cheer on my love-love!", I've not been able to stand her (which is a shame since i liked her in the actual series (If she's any better in Movie Core, I have no way of knowing)). But, she was annoying as fk in this movie. Terui should've slapped her instead of vice-versa.

I did like how Keiichi Hasegawa cameo'd in the movie. Was wondering what he looked like. xP[/spoiler]
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I had to look up who Hasegawa Keiichi was, I guess he was the secondary writer for W and the chief writer for Nexus and a writer for Mebius. Probably explains why there were so many Ultraman guest stars this time (besides Minoru there was Shundou Mitsutoshi who played the sinister Mizorogi from Ultraman Nexus)

I wasn't as bothered by Akiko as you guys were, but I do admit that her parts were kind of jarring compared to the rest of the film. Accel the movie is interesting since it kind of completes the loop of W. The TV series spoofs the tough guy detective drama and its tropes, while Accel was actually kind of gritty and serious for the most part.

Terui Ryuu's always been a pretty compelling character of his own, so overall this movie made me really happy. It had a good story and the action was a lot of fun (even the awkward Booster flying made sense considering how his propulsion works).

I didn't even notice the shaky cam aspect until Cheetah pointed it out. Seems like a weird directional choice, but it wasn't enough to take me out of the story.
KamenRiderTenshi
Adventure
Quote: My own Kamen Rider quote:

"The nature in this world is balance,
but it's unbalance when you exist in this world. HENSHIN!"

Post by KamenRiderTenshi »

[quote="Phoenix512"]Accel does take place after the events of Movie War Core, so you have been warned ahead of time. As for the dedication part, Minoru Tanaka played Captain Shingo Sakomizu in Ultraman Mebius and recently died last month.

It was saddening when I heard about Minoru Tanaka death. I really like this movie and I really like his performance in this movie and in Ultraman. I'll cherish this movie for memories of Minoru Tanaka.

I can't say anything about the movie, but Akiko is annoying as always.
Kaiehc
Gao

Post by Kaiehc »

This was such a breath of fresh air after re-watching the disasters that were the Decade movies and Movie Core War. Koichi Sakamoto really puts a distinct mark of quality on everything he works on and I really hope he gets hired to direct the next series.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Is it me or is the audio clipping on the HD encode? It seems particularly evident around 11:45 and on when Ohno is talking.

This is occurring even at low volumes on my end, which means if it's not me then the audio was clipping when it was encoded.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What do you mean by audio clipping, like audio is cut off for loud sounds? I checked the SD and HD and they both sound the same at 11:45. One thing I did notice is that moving the tracker back and forth caused the audio to start sound distorted (using GOM player) but that was fixed by restarting the video
shannon64
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by shannon64 »

When I play the HD version in QuickTime (Mac), I seem to get a completely different audio track (almost sounds like some sort of commentary) to if I play it in VLC which is fine.

Otherwise, movie was great, and thanks for your hard work!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:What do you mean by audio clipping, like audio is cut off for loud sounds?
Yes, exactly. Things that should be loud have distortion in them (which would be the waveform clipping due to a lack of bits to express the loudness). In that section starting at 11:45, when the characters are talking it sounds rather harsh; that's clipping. In this case it isn't a matter of absolute loudness though, rather it was clipping during (re)mastering and carried over into the final product.

And I don't have the SD version, though I'd imagine you guys are using the same audio track for both.
shannon64 wrote:When I play the HD version in QuickTime (Mac), I seem to get a completely different audio track (almost sounds like some sort of commentary) to if I play it in VLC which is fine.

Otherwise, movie was great, and thanks for your hard work!
There are 2 audio tracks: the movie track and the commentary track. For some reason QT plays both, and AFAIK there's no way to make it select one.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

At least they made good use of that Yellow Accel intermediate for Booster form.

I love Accel, and this further cements this. It will be interesting as to how the Eternal movie will play out.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Fantastic movie. I know I was in the minority with my disappointment in A to Z, but this movie had both great story and great action. My only real critique is that the shaky camera technique started to get a little sickening at points.

I'm surprised by the comments that Akiko was stupid for feeling insecure. I thought it was a realistic look at their relationship. Akiko has never been the most secure character in W, and I don't think there's any reason for that to magically change just because they've been married for a little bit. They didn't give an exact time frame, but it was implied that their wedding wasn't very long before this movie. If your husband won't even call you by your name, of course that's going to be a serious blow to the confidence of someone with Akiko's personality. For most of the movie, she was trying to goad him into addressing the problem in, what I'd consider, typical Akiko fashion - loud, overly energetic, shocking him, etc., which I know does not endear many people to her character. However, I doubt she was serious about divorcing him at that point. The tone completely changes when she slaps him. When she realizes that he didn't understand her insecurity, she seriously doubts that their relationship will survive for the first time.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but I thought it made sense. However, I still don't get the way Terui still pats Akiko on the head like a pet when he wants to show her affection.

Commander Dopant was okay. His Upgrade form looked like it would fit in with the villains from Go-Onger. The red herrings about Commander's identity were nice.

Some nice set details, like the picture of Akiko, Shoutarou and Philip from episode 38, in Akiko's bedroom.

I don't remember where it came in the movie now, but I noted that there was a great use of Terui's “Don’t ask me questions” phrase.

The opening sequence was pretty cool. It really did help set the mood that this was an Accel story instead of strictly W. They also found a nice balance of screen time for W to appear. Looks like Terui's wardrobe expanded a bit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I totally agree with your points on Akiko, PHurricane. Her marriage insecurities are very fitting and the way marriage plays a factor between Terui and the main antagonist worked really well. Having a villain that was poignant and had understandable reasons for the terrible things that he does is the best. Super good.

It's just that the tonally, Akiko is pretty much comic relief up till the slap. Before that point, it's like, "Oh Akiko, that silly woman is making a big deal about an obvious misunderstanding. Now she's following Terui on the bus, ha ha ha." But when she slaps him, it's the tonal equivalent to a record screeching to a halt. Suddenly the viewer is going, "Wait, this is serious? I don't want to see Terui and Akiko work on their marriage, what I'm horny to see is Terui chase the bad guy and save the girl who's in trouble." Obviously they can't have it be serious when she's just hanging out with Shoutarou and Philip (Nao with her divorce forms ready was a a nice touch, by the way) so it's not really a problem that I think has a solution. The sudden tonal shift is what I found jarring.

>The red herrings about Commander's identity were nice.

Yeah, but at this point that's a trope in it of itself, isn't it? "This guy looks totally evil and seems like an asshole, clearly this guy can't be the real villain. The other guy who's super nice and overly helpful? There's your culprit. Nailed it!" At this point, to be truly surprising, what they need to do is have the protagonist think the good guy is the villain, then do a double switch and have the evil looking guy actually evil.

>I don't remember where it came in the movie now, but I noted that there was a great use of Terui's “Don’t ask me questions” phrase.

Probably when Commander Dopant asks Accel if he's going to execute him.
nickle06
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by nickle06 »

A very good movie... nice fighting scenes
prophetcrw
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Favorite Band: Anberlin
Quote: 'itsumo anata no soba ni iru'

Post by prophetcrw »

nice. i can finally not get banned anymore for accidentally making booster references.

i liked the movie over all. its an interesting concept to give accel its own focus.

booster is interesting. i think they gave up on giving anymore lighted eyes and just came up with the shield thing.
i think maybe they decided since they 'teased' us with the yellow between Accel and Trial that Booster might as well be yellow.

the terui and akiko thing was nice, but it seemed so weird in this movie. i wonder why they decided to write out their relationship to look like this during this movie.

oh well. can't wait for movie war core to come out so i can start piecing things together a little.

now... time to go break out that booster sig. :)
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

New show: Kamen Rider Accel :D
The opening looks really cool though

The fighting scene in the restaurant seems really violent, especially where Terui slammed one of the mook's head repeatedly on a table and then he punched AT HIS THROAT. I know they're just acting, but it looks very convincing

Overall I liked the story, liked the aspect of Terui and Akiko's struggling marriage (even though they're newlyweds, which seems weird if you think about it), which makes me curious on HOW they (especially Terui) decided to marry each other
I find it funny that Detective Oono decided to change his ways and help Aoi after hearing Aoi saying that she's looking for a single guy who will support her

The ending credits is great too, reminds me of Jackie Chan movies' ending credits where they show the action mistakes or accidents

Also, will you sub the commentaries?
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"

Return to “Kamen Rider W”