DaiRanger 44 released

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DaiRanger 44 released

Post by takenoko »

And so the tragic story of KibaRanger ends. And this was on Christmas! Or Christmas Eve.

Wait, why did his mom have to die? Kou couldn't bother to transform and get her out of the cave?

Why was she sleeping with Shadam in the first place? If they were twins, why was one totally evil from the start while the other one didn't turn evil till he turned ten?

Watching DaiRanger is pretty interesting since the serious bits can be so bat shit insane sometimes. I mean, basically Akomaru has had his own mother kidnapped all this time. This whole time, she's never once overheard Akomaru talk about the dad he hates and is dedicated to destroying?
Spiegel
Adventure
Favorite series: PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: W
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: DaiRanger 44 released

Post by Spiegel »

Great episode! Akomaru and his mother are both dead? Sucks to be Kou. :(

The dairanger have to disband? I doubt that will happen, they will probably tell Doushi to take his deal and shove it, not with these words of course, but Shadam isn't trustworthy at all.
Kalsembar
Gao
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Let's Morphin'!"

Post by Kalsembar »

takenoko wrote:And so the tragic story of KibaRanger ends. And this was on Christmas! Or Christmas Eve.

Wait, why did his mom have to die? Kou couldn't bother to transform and get her out of the cave?

Why was she sleeping with Shadam in the first place? If they were twins, why was one totally evil from the start while the other one didn't turn evil till he turned ten?

Watching DaiRanger is pretty interesting since the serious bits can be so bat shit insane sometimes. I mean, basically Akomaru has had his own mother kidnapped all this time. This whole time, she's never once overheard Akomaru talk about the dad he hates and is dedicated to destroying?
Don't you know? Seemingly sensible girls always get involved with the wrong sort. :lol:
Kou had that Tiger burn that his mom branded him with. That kept his Gouma blood from taking over until his 10th birthday.

As for why he didn't save her, maybe wouldn't have been able to clear all that out in time, even as Kibaranger. Also, it seems to me that maybe that big rock that hit her broke her back? At the end of it, she was telling him to go, then asked why he doesn't listen to his mother - he finally did and left.

I never got the impression that he was with her a lot, maybe just to check on her occasionally?

Anyway, great episode! Aptly titled, lot of emotions going on there. This series has been beyond excellent and it looks like we're building to a great ending!.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

They spend half the series waiting for mom to show up and then they kill her off as soon as her purpose is finished. Typical. Maybe I'd feel a little more sorry for Kou if they had spent a little more time developing his character, but he's been absent a lot and I don't relly feel like I know him that much.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The fact that Akomaru didn't realise the fact that they were twins proves how stupid he is.

I think it was just a Gouma thing with twins, one had to be killed, so by saving both some strange DaiRanger shit happened.
methos
7X
Favorite series: KRW

Post by methos »

I was trying to figure out why the cave was collapsing so much when she already caused the ceiling to collapse during the process of saving Kou. That said, I'm really glad I no longer have to hear that actress screaming "KOU!" anymore. That was really starting to grate.

The Kou/Akomaru conflict is just weird. I was expecting Akomaru to say he knew it was his mother, and that's why he never just killed her like Shadam suggested. Heck, already knowing that Kou was his brother would've made his obsession with turning him Gouma make a bit more sense.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Jesus Christ was the screaming terrible. If you think it's bad to watch, imagine going through it again to translate it.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

It could not have ended any other way, couldn't it ? >.< Overall, a very good story arc. I have some complaints about certain things, but as a whole, I enjoyed it.

Yeah, the actress had been screaming Kou's name since wayyy back, and it gets annoying here. Weirdly enough, one time she didn't scream the name, but her voice was pitched perfectly to describe her anguish, desperation and concern for her son as she says his name. For that, I kind of forgave the actress.

Speaking of acting, kudos to Akomaru's actor for a job well done. Knowing child actors in toku, especially in older shows, he pulled off the role really well. I imagine the audition must have been tough to make sure Akomaru is well delivered. A bad performance would've killed a lot of tension and emotion in the story.

On towards the final arc!!!
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Kalsembar
Gao
Favorite series: Dairanger
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Let's Morphin'!"

Post by Kalsembar »

I wonder if they actor that played Kou wasn't available some of the time? They started out developing him really well, I thought. He went from constantly grab-assing to learning how to get along with everyone and be accepted. Then suddenly he disappeared...we'd see WongTiger show up randomly to do a combination and stock shot of KibaRanger, but Kou was absent, it's true.

Strangely, at the end of it all, I almost felt more of an emotional connection with Akomaru than Kou.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that no matter what time of year it is, Rin likes showing off those legs of hers? rawr :mrgreen:
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Let's add to the fact that she only chose to save Kou instead of saving both, she never once tried to save Akomaru. She gave birth to the both of them, she was married to Shaddam, so she just abandoned Akomaru to his father. What I find more interesting is that she was married to Shaddam, there's a story they could've delved into, heck Ryo's father was Gouma, & Kaku's just been reveled to be one. Why not go a little deeper on just how many ties their are Between Gouma & the Dairangers?
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

takenoko wrote:
The bigger question is: Why do the ritual that they know will shoot lightning into the sky. I wouldn't have a roof over my head...
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

takenoko wrote:Wait, why did his mom have to die? Kou couldn't bother to transform and get her out of the cave?
For that matter, why did Akomaru have to die (again)?

His wounds inflicted by Shadam didn't seem fatal, and that drop was only like 15-20 feet. He probably would have been fine if he didn't go into the cave, which he could clearly see was already collapsing. :roll:

I love this old show, and I'll always appreciate the fact that it's what got me into toku, but it sure has it's share of flaws.
underhell86
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Umeko/Deka Pink
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Fanfics!
Quote: Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

Post by underhell86 »

The Gouma law said that the younger twim had to be killed, so she protected Kou hoping that Shadam would look after Akomaru. Kinda makes sense.

And wait, wasn't Ryou and his sister also half-gouma? How come they didn't turn evil by their 10th birthday?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm still wondering why Kou's mother never got a proper name since everyone call her "Kou's mother" or "Mother".

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”