DaiRanger 50 released

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DaiRanger 50 released

Post by takenoko »

So we reach the end to this series, probably one of the oldest ones that we've worked on. It had some epic moments and some cracktastic moments (Why pedo Kubota, why?!).

I kind of feel like it was an okay ending. I mean, I think it'd be very hard to create a Sentai series ending that's just unsatisfying. Just beat the bad guy and have the heroes go their separate ways.

Shadam is finally defeated, and with a stab to the gut with a knife. He doesn't magically explode like a cartoon character, Ryou just kills the guy like a dude in a street brawl. I thought that was pretty bold.

...but the mud puppet revelation was totally unnecessary. Almost stupid even. It's like Hideo Kojima and Nanobots for Metal Gear. It doesn't make any sense to hint that there's someone behind Shadam. It just makes their victory of the Gouma seem hollow.

I like the idea that as long as there's light, there will be darkness. It's a pretty universal concept. But it's perfectly fine if the Gouma that appear in your grandchildren's generation are a totally different branch of Gouma, which they essentially are. What I'm saying is, it would have been fine if killing Shadam just meant that branch of the Gouma were completely defeated.

I also really liked the end fight with DaiRenOu and the next generation of DaiRangers (why do kids dress like assholes in the future?). That with the opening song played over it and the old DaiRangers remembering their battles in a montage was really nice.

Overall, this was a fun series to work on.

I know it's tempting, but please try to refrain from asking what we'll do next now that this series is complete. We'll work on one of the other active shows in our active shows list.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DaiRanger 50 released

Post by Lunagel »

I really dislike the ending to this. So those three bad guys you spent the whole series building up were nothing but mud dolls and you're not even going to tell us who made them? Weak. What's the point of making them mud anyway? It just makes the victory hollow cause the Dairangers didn't even do anything and there's still someone in the shadows that was controlling them but oops we're out of episodes so happy ending!

God that's horrible makeup for 50 years in the future. And I'd just like to note that Shoji looks the exact same in Gokaiger 51 as he did in Dairanger, so in another 30 years there's no way he'd look that bad.

(Kou and Rin got married? Uhhh...creepy much?)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote:(Kou and Rin got married? Uhhh...creepy much?)
What? They don't get married. You're crazy!

Since Zyu turned 20 last week, I guess it's been about 19 years since DaiRanger:
From Gokai 51:
Spoiler
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Something I didn't notice the first time around (probably because of the crappy VHS quality): Old Daigo's wig.

Look at 13:28, it's pretty easy to see where the skin cap ends and Mr. Nomi's actual skin begins. They didn't even try to blend it. :lol:

Anyone else think that the Autozam AZ-3 (aka Mazda AZ-3/MX-3) that Ryou's grandson showed up in might be the same one from the Zyuranger credits? It's the same color...
MVZ-800
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Video games

Post by MVZ-800 »

What was with the really random "Doushi Kaku" walking along the street all ghostly? I thought that was going somewhere, but then Ryou walks off and suddenly, THE FUTURE.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Congratulations on reaching the end of 'Dairanger', I never thought you guys would make it this far, but you did it. Very well done.

The sky's the limit for you guys as you tackle new projects and finish up projects still lingering. :)
Cyon_Orthus
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Queen and Princess
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: "I don't need to be wished good luck, I create my own luck"

Post by Cyon_Orthus »

MVZ-800 wrote:What was with the really random "Doushi Kaku" walking along the street all ghostly? I thought that was going somewhere, but then Ryou walks off and suddenly, THE FUTURE.
I thought it was meant to symbolise the on going war between the tribes but I was let down with the ending after Shadam was killed.
At one point I even came up with the theory that Doushi made the mud men to keep the balance of forces since he had ties to the tribe and was the only non mudmen member, However, you never know when it comes to the unanswered questions of the Sentai series . It was a good show.
Image Currently Ill, be back later in the week.
Kalsembar
Gao
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Let's Morphin'!"

Post by Kalsembar »

As endings go...this was one. Really a great series (especially considering that many would consider it "dated") and an awesome journey, however. There's probably a lesson for us here about the journey being more important than the ending.

So 50 years later makes it around the year 2040-ish and Rin answers a cordless phone that looks like one my parents bought when I was little. Obviously they couldn't have predicted the rise of cell-phones, but funny nonetheless. And that computer? CLEARLY amazing future tech there. :lol:

All in all, Dairanger was a blast and I wouldn't be surprised if I start over watching it before long.

Thank you TV-Nihon for all your hard work, and for getting the releases out despite your server malfunctions, you guys are the best!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The thing that irks me is that Shadam was a mud puppet. If so, who made him? And again, was this before or after he shacked up with the mother of the twins? One would assume after, so maybe someone else replace him?

Oh well, all to be answered in the 2043 series, Gosei Sentai DaiRanger part II, with creepy geriatrics and trendy clothes.
Chaos42
Gao

Post by Chaos42 »

I think that the cycle of fighting between the two sides created him to take the role as non of the Goma were left alive

Also Thank You for your work on this series its been great and its made me happy
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I guess it wouldn't be Dairanger if they didn't go out on something completely crazy, but I think I would've preferred the bittersweet ending wwith them just going their seperate ways maybe after the end credits show them getting together for a reunion.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Wolzard Fire

Post by Wolzard Fire »

Congrades on finishing the series !! :D This was the first Super Sentai I enjoyed since Gekiranger. About the whole mud thing, it's very confusing. I mean, not only with Gouma, but wouldn't that mean Ryou and Kou are half mud as well since there fathers were Gouma (As well as the fact with Ryou and Kou being young.) ? o_0
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

Wolzard Fire wrote:About the whole mud thing, it's very confusing. I mean, not only with Gouma, but wouldn't that mean Ryou and Kou are half mud as well since there fathers were Gouma (As well as the fact with Ryou and Kou being young.) ? o_0
It seems only certain Gouma were recreated. Since Zhang Liao died normally, I'd expect he wasn't a mud puppet. Just like Jia Xu and Zhao Yun.
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
Wolzard Fire

Post by Wolzard Fire »

I guess that's explains it for Ryou, but what about Kou ? He's 10. Shadam was over 1000 years old. :\
bradrian
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: POWER RANGERS
Dreamy: Kaoru from Garo
Favorite Band: Too many XD
My boom: Girls XD

Post by bradrian »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dairangers age hella gracefully.
Ryou, Shouji, Kazu, and Kaku (in Faiz) look great for their age.

The ending was mostly silly and cute.

I'm going to disagree with people, in that making Shadam a mud puppet was important.
Kaku emphasized strongly in the episode that this fight would last forever.
In the previous episode Shadam showed how tenacious he was in not dying.
I interpreted all of this as just like the ending of the previous war.

What confused me was the jewels just flying away, including the Gouma Jewel and Kameo's Jewel. That was the weirdest for me.
Maybe they were taken by DaiJinRyuu? Or taken BACK by it?

Who knows man.
All I know is that future Kazu has some ridiculous hair.

Also, this might be inappropriate, but I'm going to ask this:
Did anyone else's gaydar go off regarding Kazu? Not because he was a stylist, but in the one episode (when they disband the first time) he gave Kameo such a ridiculously loving look it felt sort weird.
(I just wanted to bring it up, don't kill me please).

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”