Dairanger overview

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Dairanger overview

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Well, having sat through and watched this series, I have to say that even though the mechas were awesome and some of the monster designs were very well done... on the whole I was actually kinda bored by this series.

Nothing about this series felt particularly engaging, not the characters, not the enemy, nothing. The opening theme music is very catchy and addictive, and plus there is the nostalgia factor tied in with the fact that this was the series who's mecha and monster footage was used for MMPR season 2, but as I watched the series, I really did want to like this series, and just felt disappointed as I kept waiting for something to happen that would be engaging, but alas no. while the appearance of the giant serpent mecha with all its destructive power was very interesting to see, other than that... the series just wasn't terribly good.

Even the source of their power wasn't all that original because the series 'Maskman' did something very similar beforehand, and that was one of my favorite Sentai programs. I know that Gekiranger also does something similar, but those two series at least have something unique and engaging about both the villains and the heroes... and unfortunately both the heroes and villains of Dairanger were... actually kinda bland.

at least, that's just how I felt. Still, one less Sentai program to worry about. Bring on more Zyu and Mega!!
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: Dairanger overview

Post by ReversedSentai »

Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:Well, having sat through and watched this series, I have to say that even though the mechas were awesome and some of the monster designs were very well done... on the whole I was actually kinda bored by this series.

Nothing about this series felt particularly engaging, not the characters, not the enemy, nothing. The opening theme music is very catchy and addictive, and plus there is the nostalgia factor tied in with the fact that this was the series who's mecha and monster footage was used for MMPR season 2, but as I watched the series, I really did want to like this series, and just felt disappointed as I kept waiting for something to happen that would be engaging, but alas no. while the appearance of the giant serpent mecha with all its destructive power was very interesting to see, other than that... the series just wasn't terribly good.

Even the source of their power wasn't all that original because the series 'Maskman' did something very similar beforehand, and that was one of my favorite Sentai programs. I know that Gekiranger also does something similar, but those two series at least have something unique and engaging about both the villains and the heroes... and unfortunately both the heroes and villains of Dairanger were... actually kinda bland.

at least, that's just how I felt. Still, one less Sentai program to worry about. Bring on more Zyu and Mega!!
I agree with you to a point. DaiRanger had some boring characters here and there, especially the villians, and we don't see any major plot established until almost halfway into the show. The costume designs were really neat though.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Personally, while I liked pretty much every aspect of the Dairangers on the design front, I didn't like anything about the Gouma. The monster ranged from "okay" to "friggin' ridiculous" (A birdcage with limbs, a guy with a kaleidoscope for a head, general cactus...), and the commanders all just looked silly.

And while I'm not done watching Dairanger yet (I think the last episode I watched was the one with the Pachinko Gouma), my verdict so far is basically the same as Sexy_RoboVoice.
Henshin_Rider
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Livemen
2nd Favorite Series: Go_Onger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Go_Onger
Quote: You are not happy because you are well. You are well because you are
happy. You are not depressed because trouble has come to you, but
trouble has come to you because you are depressed. You can change
your thoughts and feelings, and then the outer things will come to
correspond, and indeed there is no other way of working.

-- Emmet Fox

Post by Henshin_Rider »

I thought the OP Theme Song is not only pretty cool but catchy too and fortunately I watch the whole series and felt that the ending was rather dissapointing. I like the Livemen ending better since at least it had more closure, but in a way i do agree that the monsters, in retrospect were rather lame.

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”