What Next for Well Made Fight Scenes?

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
YnEoS
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

What Next for Well Made Fight Scenes?

Post by YnEoS »

So I 'm about half way through this series and it's probably going to be the first one I'll complete. I enjoy more strategic battles that aren't just an endless stream of sparkley VFX vomit, so I watched this one due to its martial arts theme. What I liked about this one is that is focused a lot on hand to hand combat even after they got tons of weapons and mechas. I also liked how they would utilize different combinations of weapons for different fighting styles sometimes, and also find different ways of using their powers. It was also cool how certain enemies would throw off their fighting strategy and they would have to come up with some new way to beat them using the skills they already have rather than, "we have to acquire new CGI animation #83 in order to beat him". I'm not a huge fan of the mecha battles in this one so far, but a few of them have been interesting. Haven't seen much of other series, so I don't know how typical or atypical these traits are for Sentai.

Just curious what series you think I should watch next for more interesting fight scenes?

I'm a bit wary of the newer series since they seem to have gone overboard with CGI animations, but I was thinking of watching Gekiranger because its also martial arts themed. I'm not against VFX-y battles, I just prefer it when they have only a few powers that they use in different ways to suit the situation of the battle, rather than thousands of powers that are always used in the same bland way. And flashy VFX by itself can sometimes be fun, if the series takes it time building to them, instead of putting them right in the beginning and recycling them over and over again.

I've also been thinking of watching some of the older sentai because I figure the lack of CGI will result in more interesting mecha battles. It would be nice to see a sentai, that still used the individual mechas after acquiring the combined forms, such that combining was motivated by the necessity of the situation in battle rather than because it was simply more powerful when combined. Are there any sentai like that?

Also curious if the lack of giant mechas in the Kamen Rider series results in more hand to hand combat and less VFX-soaked fights?

[Also a good storyline doesn't hurt]

Appreciate any help or pointers you guys can offer. Also feel free to recommend series that haven't been subbed yet, I'll just remember them for the future.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Re: What Next for Well Made Fight Scenes?

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

You're gonna want to stay a few thousand miles away from Magiranger. After a while the fights, which honestly weren't all THAT great to begin with, degrade to just stock footage of the Rangers swinging the DialRods at the screen and then a CG magic attack hitting the monster.

Gekiranger is another martial-arts based Sentai, and I prefer it to Dairanger so far because I find the characters and storyline to actually be engaging (They were just there for me in Dairanger).

Shinkenger is all about the sword-fighting, and if my memory's right it usually only resorts to CG for either finishing attacks or attacks that the monster will shrug off to show how powerful it is. Plus it has great characterization in spades, which was what made me love it- and really got me into tokusatsu- in the first place.

Also, I don't think any Sentai with a combining mecha has ever used the individual mechs very much, if at all, after debuting the combination. It's just the way it goes. GoBusters has been kind of doing that, but it's starting to look like they're falling out of that and only time will tell if they manage to keep it up to the end.

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”