Shout Factory Releasing Gosei Sentai Dairanger

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >

Are you going to buy the DaiRanger DVD set?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 am

Yes, day one purchase
40%
Maybe, depends on factors (Please specify what they are)
8%
No, because I don't like the way Shout Factory did the ZyuRanger subs
16%
No, because I don't collect DVDs in general
4%
No, because I can't afford them
4%
No, because I like to stream my videos
No votes
No, because I don't own a DVD player
No votes
No, because I live outside of Region 1 DVD area
28%

Total votes: 25
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Shout Factory Releasing Gosei Sentai Dairanger

Post by Lunagel »

Link2Hyrule wrote:Can't wait. And the only problem I had with Shout's Zyuranger subs was in the Dora Sphinx episode where they Americanized the riddles instead of sticking with the puns. Don't they know that the majority of people who will by buying these understand enough of the Japanese language to know how their puns work? I just hope they do learn that by the time they get to Goranger, assuming they intend to do pre-Power Rangers Sentai.
Some people can understand a bit but definitely not all, I think you're making too broad an assumption. It's definitely easier to localize jokes then try to make puns work.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

HowlingSnail wrote:Fortunately I've already downloaded all your Dairanger subs, since no way am I shelling out money for Region 1 DVDs.
If you want future seasons - remember, the DVDs have to sell well enough to justify future releases. Just saying.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm kind of curious though. I imagine the ZyuRanger set sold pretty well because it was marketed at fans of Power Rangers, right? So we have a Venn diagram of Power Rangers fans, Sentai fans, and fans who like both. I wonder if there'll be a dip in sales since DaiRanger has no Power Rangers equivalent.

Some questions for the fans:

Also, for those of you who bought the ZyuRanger set from last year, how satisfied were you with your purchase?

Do you think you'll preorder/buy the DaiRanger set off the bat?

Will you wait to buy the DaiRanger set?

Oh wait, i can just add a poll to the first post.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Day one purchase.... definitely. Even if it stays in the shink wrap and never opened. If you enjoyed it through alternative means, support it through legitimate means.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

a friend let me use their computer and i was able to download them all! yey! i have DSL so watching how fast cable internet downloaded was crazy. :sighs: one day i wont be poor ...
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

TorchWood wrote:Day one purchase.... definitely. Even if it stays in the shink wrap and never opened. If you enjoyed it through alternative means, support it through legitimate means.
i did that with TF master force, headmasters and victory. was really put off by how poor the subs were on those. if theyre going to do it and want to make money then translate properly. fan subs use notes that ive never seen in official subs. they need to up their game.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:I'm kind of curious though. I imagine the ZyuRanger set sold pretty well because it was marketed at fans of Power Rangers, right? So we have a Venn diagram of Power Rangers fans, Sentai fans, and fans who like both. I wonder if there'll be a dip in sales since DaiRanger has no Power Rangers equivalent.
I think the fact that Dairanger didn't get a proper adaptation will encourage Americans fans to see what they missed out on.
Some questions for the fans:

Also, for those of you who bought the ZyuRanger set from last year, how satisfied were you with your purchase?
I only recently bought it. I have a slight problem with the spelling of Daizyuzin, since I feel they should've done it the way they wanted it pronounced, but it won't ruin my experience.
Do you think you'll preorder/buy the DaiRanger set off the bat?

Will you wait to buy the DaiRanger set?

Oh wait, i can just add a poll to the first post.
I'll likely buy it to support the franchise in hopes that they also delve into pre-zyu sentai, but I'm sure about Day 1.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

This is great news. Now American fans can finally get to see how perverted the original White Ranger really was compared to Tommy. Lol.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Made my day when I heard. Can't wait. Definitely a preorder... and from Shout this time (I remember the reviews from people who got them a month early from Shout :mrgreen:)
erikhol wrote:
HowlingSnail wrote:Fortunately I've already downloaded all your Dairanger subs, since no way am I shelling out money for Region 1 DVDs.
If you want future seasons - remember, the DVDs have to sell well enough to justify future releases. Just saying.
Thank you erikhol. I don't get some people hating the idea of these. I get some people hated how Zyuranger turned (I don't) but the people going "Oh, I not buying DVDs no matter what". I thought the dream was for legitimate R1 releases for Sentai.

Different strokes for different blokes. I'm happy. DVDs are the only merchandise I get to support the show, so an R1 release gets me another whole show.
y671
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Nago/IXA
Quote: "Everybody thinks of changing the world, but nobody thinks of changing themselves"

Post by y671 »

I would add another option to the poll.

'No, Because I live outside Region 1'
Watched:
KR: V3, Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, Double, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim
SS: Live, Dai, Gao, Hurri, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bus, Kyoryu

Watching: Jetman, Drive
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

I pre-ordered Zyuranger, and plan to pre-order Dairanger as well. Honestly, I haven't watched either series yet, but have all of TVNs episodes for each. When I get around to watching them, I'll probably watch both versions and compare.

My feelings on domestic releases VS fansubs are mixed. I DEFINITELY want to support domestic releases. I want to show my support for the shows I like and encourage future releases. Remember also that some of our money goes to Toei, since Shout has to pay them for the rights. I of course LOVE the extra care taken by TVN and SOME (not all) other fansub groups to explain Japanese puns and other cultural things we may not understand. I don't like when companies Americanize and literally change meanings because it's easier than putting extra notes on screen. So while I'm certain I'll prefer and enjoy TVN's release more than SHOUT's, I'm still planning to buy the official release. And you never know. There are still lots of unsubbed Sentai out there. maybe one day we'll get some official releases of shows that aren't fansubbed.

***ON A RELATED NOTE: One domestic release that I think is a GREAT example of how to do it right are the original ADV DVD releases of Azumanga Daioh (not the slimpack). They of course had subs and dubs. With the subs, they sometimes Americanized jokes, but they actually had liner note booklets with each released volume that explained the original Japanese jokes and wording and such when they did. They actually put a lot of effort into those notes and gave quite a bit of explanation, even up to things like summer VS winter uniforms, different festivals and holidays, pun explanations, etc. To me that is the BEST example of a way to make a domestic release of a Japanese show. It literally caters to people on all sides.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

BuraddoRun wrote:
***ON A RELATED NOTE: One domestic release that I think is a GREAT example of how to do it right are the original ADV DVD releases of Azumanga Daioh (not the slimpack). They of course had subs and dubs. With the subs, they sometimes Americanized jokes, but they actually had liner note booklets with each released volume that explained the original Japanese jokes and wording and such when they did. They actually put a lot of effort into those notes and gave quite a bit of explanation, even up to things like summer VS winter uniforms, different festivals and holidays, pun explanations, etc. To me that is the BEST example of a way to make a domestic release of a Japanese show. It literally caters to people on all sides.

I have some old DVDs of Nadesico and Rurouni Kenshin that have notes like that in the DVD extras section. In Rurouni Kenshin's case they were especially helpful, not just for the historical and cultural explanations, but also pointing out details like the change in Kenshin's speech patterns when he goes into "Battousai mode".
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

takenoko wrote:I'm kind of curious though. I imagine the ZyuRanger set sold pretty well because it was marketed at fans of Power Rangers, right? So we have a Venn diagram of Power Rangers fans, Sentai fans, and fans who like both. I wonder if there'll be a dip in sales since DaiRanger has no Power Rangers equivalent.
Of course it does, the same one as Zyuranger: Mighty Morphin. The monsters, mecha, and sixth ranger all appeared in MMPR season 2 and the other five ranger suits in Super Megaforce. If they showcase Dairenoh and Kibaranger people will understand the PR connection.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Digifiend wrote:
Of course it does, the same one as Zyuranger: Mighty Morphin. The monsters, mecha, and sixth ranger all appeared in MMPR season 2 and the other five ranger suits in Super Megaforce. If they showcase Dairenoh and Kibaranger people will understand the PR connection.
I dont think you can mention Super Megaforce in this instance. SMF takes place well after MMPR S2. The use of the core 5 suits in SMF was a "cameo" of sorts just to use sentai footage. What i think takenoko was referring to was a direct equivalent. Sure, we get bits and pieces of Dairanger in season 2, but it wasnt a true adaptation. The cockpits for the mecha are different and the fight scenes are mostly american footage since they kept using the zyu suits. The kibaranger suit was used because the lion zord switched users from shishiranger to mammoth ranger.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

y671 wrote:I would add another option to the poll.

'No, Because I live outside Region 1'
Added the option

For me it will be a no cause of the Region 1 issue, sure I can decrypt them at home and play them via my media setup, but that defeats the point in buying the disks in the first place

If your gonna play the licensing game, at least put them out as Region 0 so you can get more sales from more parts of the world and not just be a complete dick about it
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”