Shout Factory Releasing Gosei Sentai Dairanger

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >

Are you going to buy the DaiRanger DVD set?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 am

Yes, day one purchase
40%
Maybe, depends on factors (Please specify what they are)
8%
No, because I don't like the way Shout Factory did the ZyuRanger subs
16%
No, because I don't collect DVDs in general
4%
No, because I can't afford them
4%
No, because I like to stream my videos
No votes
No, because I don't own a DVD player
No votes
No, because I live outside of Region 1 DVD area
28%

Total votes: 25
justiceknight
Quote: watshi wa seigi no senshi!!!

Re: Shout Factory Releasing Gosei Sentai Dairanger

Post by justiceknight »

This will be OT: I remembered when KR the First was licensed, TN pulled its subs in way of the licensed one. now a couple of months ago its back up, and was I super glad. I will admit this, no matter what they say its licensed or what, fans will really go for the Fan-subbed ones as we still give respect to the nature of the show and gives us more glimpsed into Japanese culture. I collect DVDs but not much on the foreign ones as they tend to give really below par subtitles that takes away the excitement in continuing watching on. I'm a fan of Tonkusatsu but I hate it if the subs or dubs are really screwed. anyways just giving my thoughts and I apologize if this was OT.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

justiceknight wrote:This will be OT: I remembered when KR the First was licensed, TN pulled its subs in way of the licensed one. now a couple of months ago its back up, and was I super glad. I will admit this, no matter what they say its licensed or what, fans will really go for the Fan-subbed ones as we still give respect to the nature of the show and gives us more glimpsed into Japanese culture. I collect DVDs but not much on the foreign ones as they tend to give really below par subtitles that takes away the excitement in continuing watching on. I'm a fan of Tonkusatsu but I hate it if the subs or dubs are really screwed. anyways just giving my thoughts and I apologize if this was OT.
There is a difference. Fansubs are subbed out of passion. Official subs are subbed for money. I wouldn't complain if their quality was good, but their UltraSeven subs were just terrible for a paid product.
justiceknight

Post by justiceknight »

xiiliea wrote:
justiceknight wrote:This will be OT: I remembered when KR the First was licensed, TN pulled its subs in way of the licensed one. now a couple of months ago its back up, and was I super glad. I will admit this, no matter what they say its licensed or what, fans will really go for the Fan-subbed ones as we still give respect to the nature of the show and gives us more glimpsed into Japanese culture. I collect DVDs but not much on the foreign ones as they tend to give really below par subtitles that takes away the excitement in continuing watching on. I'm a fan of Tonkusatsu but I hate it if the subs or dubs are really screwed. anyways just giving my thoughts and I apologize if this was OT.
There is a difference. Fansubs are subbed out of passion. Official subs are subbed for money. I wouldn't complain if their quality was good, but their UltraSeven subs were just terrible for a paid product.
well yeah that is also the money making reason. I bought their Ultraseven and yeah subs were so awful. One thing I find fascinating that in the case for Animes, i.e. the GARO Anime some groups dont mind at all if their subbing licensed ones. Pardon the naiveness but I just dont know the reason why that thing doesnt hold the same for Tonsukatsu. again pardon for being naive on this.
Dynaman777
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Actor?: Toshiro Mifune
Favorite Band: I Fight Dragons
Quote: 天下御免!!
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Dynaman777 »

Eh, while the Shout Factory subs weren't as good as most of the fansub groups I enjoy on the internet, they weren't THAT bad. However, I can understand how some of the smaller translation issues would be annoying for some folk.

I will probably get the set day one just to support getting more sentai series here in the US. Plus, it'll be nice to have them and not have to get on my computer, or do some round about way to get them to play on my TV.

Just went ahead and downloaded the 3rd series batch from here though, gonna finish it up before the DVD hits so I can compare!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

justiceknight wrote:One thing I find fascinating that in the case for Animes, i.e. the GARO Anime some groups dont mind at all if their subbing licensed ones. Pardon the naiveness but I just dont know the reason why that thing doesnt hold the same for Tonsukatsu. again pardon for being naive on this.
I think the kind of anime groups you're referring to are either the fan-rippers or the ones who hate licensing for rather stupid reasons (it's not stuff like different regions, it's hyperbolic trash like "Their subs gave me cancer!" or "Ahhh, this stream quality; my eyes are puking!"). I've thankfully never seen a tokusatsu group who acted like that, and if I did, I likely wouldn't interact with them.

Also, I'm curious now as to what issues the Ultraseven set has/had.. because I own it too and don't think I've heard anyone say that like, the whole story was changed or similar.
justiceknight

Post by justiceknight »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
justiceknight wrote:One thing I find fascinating that in the case for Animes, i.e. the GARO Anime some groups dont mind at all if their subbing licensed ones. Pardon the naiveness but I just dont know the reason why that thing doesnt hold the same for Tonsukatsu. again pardon for being naive on this.
I think the kind of anime groups you're referring to are either the fan-rippers or the ones who hate licensing for rather stupid reasons (it's not stuff like different regions, it's hyperbolic trash like "Their subs gave me cancer!" or "Ahhh, this stream quality; my eyes are puking!"). I've thankfully never seen a tokusatsu group who acted like that, and if I did, I likely wouldn't interact with them.

Also, I'm curious now as to what issues the Ultraseven set has/had.. because I own it too and don't think I've heard anyone say that like, the whole story was changed or similar.
Well said, sir on the ripper parts. The Ultraseven dvds subs, well as i said previously are not the typical subs you might expect for a paid one, but i guess it all boils down to personal preference and opinion and I respect yours and to others who dont have an issue with it.

I guess for the time being now, a lot might be dl the dairanger series as long as its still available and hold on to them. Some also might be holding onto them until the SF ceased selling the 2 sentai series. As i said I am a tonsukatsu fan and I am for the thriving and popularity of the genre more.
teku
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Kabuto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Post by teku »

I asked the same question in the Zyuranger Shout! Factory release thread, some of the answers:
Digifiend wrote:
teku wrote:Sorry to ask, but what's the difference between a licensed Toei show than the one that got licensed in the US, apart from its subtitling? Why you all guys need to pull-out a show when somebody got it licensed in the US? It's the same licensed, copyrighted Toes shows after all...
It's a code of honour. If an official release exists in the United States, then the fansubs of that show are pulled. Grown Ups in Spandex already pulled their version (the completed one Catastrophe mentioned) of Zyuranger, because it's now been licenced for a release in it's original form (as opposed to as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers). TV Nihon has itself pulled several shows in the past because they got an official release.

tl:dr Fansubbers support official releases and don't compete with them.
Catastrophe wrote:Exactly. If a fansub exists, then people are going to go for that because its free and not support the official release. We want to promote this kind of thing happening.

I am curious about one thing though. I was under the impression that American audiences are not fans of subtitled content. Wasn't the remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series done because of this fact? I'm hoping that just because it doesn't have a dub it won't turn off casuals or prevent people buying it for children.
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

I wonder if they will include the Dairanger movie or just stick with the TV show itself.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The movie is cool. I'd hope they keep it in.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I'm all for supporting official Toku releases in the states.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

I don't know if I'll become happy with the news or get sad with it. Yes, I'm one of the guys who is pro-"original/licensed" release but with comes to Super Sentai... I'm kind of in between. I've been reading lot of things with Shout Factory's release of Zyuranger and there are some said that translation is not good enough. I love Dairanger because of its story and the little weirdness with the concept of the enemy forces. In terms of purchasing the said release, I'm in a place in where Region 1 DVD are hard to find. I have no problem with Region 1 DVD copies because my DVD player is already for all regions. I hope the guys in the US will enjoy this release in few weeks time.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Surprised how many people hated the Zyuranger DVD's. When the older threads I thought people where fine with it. Oh well. Don't buy them if you really are that hard up for all the little details you want from the fan sub bonus information. I thought they were fine. They aren't like Toei's bullshit Digimon subs. How do you think Shout gets the DVD sets that low. They can't include any extra stuff like note booklets. It's either get that price down to $40. Or It sells bad. Because it's just past purchasing price. And they left the DVD's in the same configuration as the JPN release. They didn't need to make them 10 discs. They could of got them on 6. But I guess they wanted to go for more closer JPN release. Also, subtitles are the second most expensive part of the DVD. After the license cost. I've ask. It costs Shout $15-20,000 to sub a set. The movie is a separate license. So I really doubt it will be included. Regardless how the movie goes into the series. Plus, the movie was remastered. I don't want it stuck as a DVD only release. I'd rather have it alone. And allow them to try a release on BD. I'm also surprised people hate yellow text. I can't stand when a DVD uses white. The majority of the time it blends into what's on screen.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

archer9234 wrote:I'm also surprised people hate yellow text. I can't stand when a DVD uses white. The majority of the time it blends into what's on screen.
White subtitles with black borders/shadows are the best. Easy to read no matter how white the background is.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

xiiliea wrote:
archer9234 wrote:I'm also surprised people hate yellow text. I can't stand when a DVD uses white. The majority of the time it blends into what's on screen.
White subtitles with black borders/shadows are the best. Easy to read no matter how white the background is.
Not for me at all.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

teku wrote:I asked the same question in the Zyuranger Shout! Factory release thread, some of the answers:
Catastrophe wrote:I am curious about one thing though. I was under the impression that American audiences are not fans of subtitled content. Wasn't the remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series done because of this fact? I'm hoping that just because it doesn't have a dub it won't turn off casuals or prevent people buying it for children.
I don't know about others, but the dubs I've seen usually have a cast that doesn't put the same effort as the original cast and distracting, doubly so if the dub voice doesn't match what's on screen (I have a few examples but for now, I'll direct you to PR Megaforce's attempts to say Emma was the one in the GoseiPink suit: Eri/GoseiPink was too active for the calmness Emma was projecting). Also, a lot of dubs think it means recutting or rewriting dialogue (early Pokemon). For me, a little reading goes a long way and I'm not afraid to watch an un-subbed show if I can't find a subtitled copy or want to support Toei when make a really good film.

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”