Ratings Poll: Gosei Sentai DaiRanger

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >

What did you think of DaiRanger?

☆☆☆☆☆ 5 stars in the sky
47%
☆☆☆☆ Kung-fu fighting
45%
☆☆☆ 3-star Chinese restaurant
6%
☆☆ The AkibaRanger version was better
2%
☆ Kick in the golden balls
No votes

Total votes: 47
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Gosei Sentai DaiRanger

Post by takenoko »

So what did you think of DaiRanger? This is probably the oldest Sentai that I've watched besides ZyuRanger. And it's insane. But it's a good insane. The action certainly felt heftier and realistic since it was almost all practical effects back then. This was extremely weird, but also charming. I'm sorry to see it get licensed.

4 stars. I really like Daigo's tragic subplot. Almost all the characters have at least something going on throughout the series.

Images from DaiRanger
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Ratings Poll: Gosei Sentai DaiRanger

Post by xiiliea »

The story was pretty good. I liked most of the story arcs like Kujaku and Gara, and especially the part about Kaku's history. Kou's story was interesting too but he was an annoying kid and I don't like watching annoying kids. Also the part about the 3 Idiots was really lame.

The only other pre-2000s series I watched was Jetman, and I think that Jetman had a better story and more epic villains.

I'd rate it 3.5/5 but round it up to 4.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Awww, I liked the 3 idiots. Also, I just remembered what an insane spiral of twists that the ending ended up being. I hope you love mudmen!

Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

It took a while to get into it (about 10 episodes or so) but I grew to love the series. The characters were well-written and the cast did a great job of making their unique personalities shine through (especially Kou's actor and suit actor, who did EXACTLY what a ten-year-old given mystical powers would do). I'm a sucker for martial arts-based Sentai shows (hence my immense love for Gekiranger) and the variety of styles showcased in Dairanger was simply wonderful. (Drunken Boxing anyone?) Also, it's one of the few kids' shows I know where the mooks regularly get tagged in the junk by the good guys, so bonus!
GaMa7
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Drawing Comics
Quote: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before".
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gamaseven/?hl=it

Post by GaMa7 »

I loved the three idiots too! :D Definitely a 5 for me, one of my favourite sentai for sure! I adore the martial arts-based theme, not to mention how action packed the show is. The story has its ups and down but lots of pretty good moments and wow, the fights! It has Yutaka hirose in it so there is always room for awesomeness. Jin was a great rival and really pushed the development of Ryou, their fight are some fo the best in all the sentai I saw. Ryou is an absolutely fantastic Red: a good balance of serious and hothead, he really manage to shine. Keiichi Wada also seemed pretty well trained in martial arts, it really help in those crazy action scenes (destroying the traing device by simply muscle flexing, Hokuto no Kens tyle!). It also make me think of the spectacular suitless roll call: the actors were really trying hard to replicate those complicate poses, putting in so much energy that it ended up as one of the most memorable scenes. The suit and mecha design was great also: the suits were complex yet balanced in terms of design, the white and gold accent giving such a "regal" aura to each mebers joined with the fluid movements. The mecha were great also: the Gokuu themed RyuseiOh was such a breath fo fresh air, not to mention the multiple configurations with the other mechas culminating with the majestic Dairen'oh. If I have to ay something that annoyed me a bit was the introduction of Kou: it really took a bit to get used to him even if was fun to see him messing around, really acting as his age. But it really didn't detract much form the awesomeness of the show. A must see in my humble opinion!
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

Love the story, weirdness of the enemy forces and cool fighting scenes. 5 for me... no questions asked.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Guess I'm in the minority here. I never found Dairanger to be that interesting or fun to watch, I just kind of slogged through it. I could never tell the characters apart and it never really seemed that imperative that I should. I did like Kujaku, I thought she was an interesting design and character, but overall I was just not really impressed with anything.

The villains wore 80s leather outfits that were on sale at the S&M store and the minions rode bicycles. Not exactly the most terrifying thing ever.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Come on Luna, it gave us pedo Kubota. How can you beat that?
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

I'll be the old man talking, here, but put in context, Dairanger was simply one of the best things in sentai at the time. True, Jetman had set up a high standard in term of drama, but it was the first time every character in the team had his or her own plot (Jetman was all Ryu/Gai/Kaori), which collectively led to one of the coolest scenes ever : the henshinless roll call. Dairanger's roll call is still one of the best ever, but that particular scene set a standard that is still followed today. And in Dairanger it was justified by a plot element. I don't think I ever saw that again.

For this scene alone, it well deserves a 5. But there is also the impressive action, the interesting plot - which, though not flawless, was definitely high quality compared to its predecessors - the excellent acting,... Definitely one of the best sentai series overall.
Lita Maivia
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Lita Maivia »

I absolutely loved Dairanger. Shoji was great every time he was on screen and I loved his story with the 3 Idiots. The only character I didn't really care for was Daigo because the actor really felt terrible to watch. Other than that, great series and I really enjoyed every other character that was presented to us. Some great writing this season.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Dai is probably one of my favourite all time. Really love the pacing and the characters.

The twist with the bad guys is nice, even if it isn't really explained.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

My absolute favorite Sentai team of all time. Loved the characters, loved the suits, loved the action, loved the seriousness, just plain loved it.
lio_convoy
Number 6
Number 6

Post by lio_convoy »

My least favorite team ever. The series started good but the story took a dive toward the end. It almost felt rushed.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Loved it.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

When I heard about the Zyuranger licensing I went "back in time" and watched Jetman and Dairanger. Jetman because of the good reviews and Dairanger because...well mainly because it was somewhat skipped in the U.S. Power Rangers franchise. At first, it was hard to mentally get past the stuff that showed up in PR Season 2 like Dairenoh and Won Tiger. I was 5 when Season 2 aired, and it was basically all that existed at that age, so to see things that were "wrong", like Kibaranger being a 10-year old and with the "wrong" group of rangers, or a different group of people being in the Megazord (or even the wrong Red ranger standing on top of Ryuseioh) was a little jarring at first. Eventually I was able to shake the "Ehhhhrhrrrr....WTF" thoughts and it became one of my favorites.

Except for the Darth Vader episodes. That was weak.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”