DaiRanger 01 released

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DaiRanger 01 released

Post by takenoko »

One of our earliest Sentai series is now back in DVD format. You may recognize RyuuRanger's actor from guest appearances in Rescue Force and as the original Ryuki in the TV special. Check out this classic once again!
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: DaiRanger 01 released

Post by lostinbrave »

yay Merry Christmas everyone.
ImageImage
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

You guys need to stop being too awesome :P.
attIKKI
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by attIKKI »

just damn good!! i've been waiting for this!!!!
keep going with cool guy too, please!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's on the rotation, don't worry. More Mega and Kuuga next year for sure. Or maybe tonight?! Just kidding, no Mega or Kuuga tonight. Next year though
DrakosAmatras
Go Go!
Favorite series: Ryuki, GoGo, Geki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O, Boken
Dreamy: Morita Suzuka
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Buddhism
Quote: "I will die someday; it's only a matter of time."

Post by DrakosAmatras »

Many thanks to the T-N crew. I've been wanting to try a retro SS series and see how it's different from the recent ones. If you don't mind me asking, though: Why DaiRanger? Is there anything special which makes it stand out among the older series?

My first impressions of DaiRanger:
Spoiler
- Compared to the recent series, which have extended and detailed dialogues, DaiRanger is really short to the point; less talk, more action. That's a nice taste too.
- I'm not familiar with retro Sentai music, but I didn't expect a theme song to actually spell out the Rangers in the team. Also, am I the only one who hears a BGM which really sounds like... Darth Vader's theme?
- As for the stuntmen: Wow... And I mean "Wow". The DaiRangers' action scenes are the best among all the SS titles I've seen. Bold, fast, credible, and at the same time, with enough restraint to not hurt the stuntmen who play the enemy soldiers. Another thing is that they don't switch camera angles while showing a Ranger fight, so they obviously aren't faking the blows. I, for one, love Kazu's Drunken Fist; he even did the hiccup at 15:18. The bikers deserves praise for the chase scene too; they're actually riding down a long set of stairs.
- I'm surprised that not everyone start out with their Mecha. Judging from MMPR2 footage, though, the Mecha designs are pretty good. Shishi, Tenma, Kirin and Ho'o are more of "armor pieces" to RyuSeiO than actual body pieces.
- I'm having a feeling that a minor theme for the series will be Chinese culture; Kung Fu, Chinatown... Is it?

After the first episode, I'd say I'm pretty psyched for the series, although differently than an active way like anticipating the next year's Sentai.

Spoiler
It seems we have TP Ganondorf/WW Tingle narrating the series. Say hello to him when you remember him in Shinkenger too.

Rescue Soldiers have never been more adorable.
大変身
Save the life
Favorite Actor?: Nobuyuki Hiyama

Post by 大変身 »

DrakosAmatras wrote: - I'm not familiar with retro Sentai music, but I didn't expect a theme song to actually spell out the Rangers in the team. Also, am I the only one who hears a BGM which really sounds like... Darth Vader's theme?
I heard it too..

I'm surprised that Ryou already knows how to fight despite the fact that he just recently joined the team

I look at this now and imagine what this show would be like if this was created now. The majority of the stuff would have been CGI too
Twitter
iamawesome.com
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

大変身 wrote:I look at this now and imagine what this show would be like if this was created now. The majority of the stuff would have been CGI too
The thought of that is scary. =x
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

CGI is normal now. Just like puppets, 2d animation, and wires where then. I don't see the difference. They're just tools for the shows.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Woah! Woah woah, woah woah waoh....qi chi ki power! And stuff. Again! Yay for more drunken boxing pole-fighting and green ranger nad blows. And another guy I can call dragonman! Whee, but that's a fun thing to say...
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I'm amazed at how fluid the movement for the Dragon mech is especially coming of Zyuranger where the mech were more bulky in design & movement. That's pretty good movement for puppet on a TV series, especially during the mid 90's. Boy Kaku must really have some good convincing skills if he got Ryou to join the team in such a short amount of time especially after getting attacked my a monster & having a sword thrown at you. Anyway great to see the series return.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
LonelySoldier
Gabu
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Ryukendo
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: AKB48
Quote: Being forgotten is much more painful than being hated...

Post by LonelySoldier »

Owyeah!!! I always love martial art-themed sentai... The fighting scenes is always awesome!!! I'm looking forward to this series
What I've learned from watching Kamen Rider OOO :
Don't be greedy, except for Bandai's stuff...
Zamer
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Zamer »

I got to say this was extremely well done, Shishi Ranger is by far my current fave Ryuu Ranger is close 2nd so far. Only thing that bugged me was
Spoiler
at 17:18 where Himo Danshaku grew and kicked the rangers and they used a green screen(true I uphold its a early 90s). Main reason it bothered me was 5seconds later when he tried to whip them, they did it normal.

Now I wonder if Jyuken could be a possible branch off from Ryoku, since there is a minimum of a 4000 year difference.

Besides that lil bug this is going to be an extremely good year I feel it.
Image Image
gekisou
Favorite series: Yuushya Oh Gaogaigar
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
Dreamy: Luka Milfey
Favorite Actor?: Kimura Takuya
Favorite Band: SMAP
My boom: Onion Rings
Quote: I don't break rules. I bend 'em... a lot!

Post by gekisou »

First up, thanx for subbing this guys. You guys are legends!
Next, it is great to see Dairanger again. I remember watching this years ago in Chinese but didn't get to watch all the eps so that was a shame. But I remember watching and enjoying this.
Hopefully, more eps will fill the torrents here. Cheers guys!
俺のこの手が光って唸る。お前を倒せと輝き叫ぶ。 シャイニング・フィンガー!!!
Dr Kain
Adventure
Favorite series: DaiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Garo & KR Kiva
Dreamy: Mele (GekiRanger)
Favorite Band: Mois Dix Mois
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: I am a Jenova witness, have you accapted your Sephiroth today? Remember, Aeris died for our sins.

Post by Dr Kain »

I must say, it is nice to know what the little things I cannot understand are throughout the series. While there was hardly anything I have not been able to catch during the first episode (especially considering I have watched it on DVD-R about 18 times, Region 2 DVD twice), I am definitely looking forward to some of the minor details in some of the later episodes (specifically 7-8). You guys have done a great job with the fonts and such, and I have said it before, and will say it several hundred more times over, but DaiRanger is by far the greatest Sentai series, hell, the greatest Toku series, ever conceived. I look forward to watching episode 2 in a little while, and then showing it to my friend who I just recently showed the first two volumes to so he can get everything.

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”