Subs different?

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
gridman
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Jetman

Subs different?

Post by gridman »

I'm absolutely loving that you guys have taken up Dairanger. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people start Dairanger as a sub project and then give up about episode 3...

One question about the subbing/typeseting - Is there something different about how you sub an older DVD based series? I ask because, as fas as I can tell, your other projects have the subs higher on the screen. The ones on Dairanger (at least up to episode 4) are falling low into my TVs overscan area and I can only see the top half of the words.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Subs different?

Post by Lunagel »

This is the dimensions of the video itself, nothing we can do. The older series (e.g. Dairanger, Megaranger, Magiranger) are 640 x 480, whereas the newer stuff (Gekiranger, Shinkenger) are 704 x 396. The older sentai seems to be mainly in fullscreen whereas newer sentai and most of KR is widescreen.
gridman
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by gridman »

Lunagel wrote:This is the dimensions of the video itself, nothing we can do. The older series (e.g. Dairanger, Megaranger, Magiranger) are 640 x 480, whereas the newer stuff (Gekiranger, Shinkenger) are 704 x 396. The older sentai seems to be mainly in fullscreen whereas newer sentai and most of KR is widescreen.
Interesting. Is it possible to accommodate the different resolution and "nudge 'em up a bit" or is that somehow fixed by the titling software?
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

how high we talking like 6-12 pixels higher, cause that will probably be do able. maybe even as few as 4 pixels will be fine, depending on how large the font used now is.
ImageImage
gridman
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by gridman »

lostinbrave wrote:how high we talking like 6-12 pixels higher, cause that will probably be do able. maybe even as few as 4 pixels will be fine, depending on how large the font used now is.
I will do a little experimentation tomorrow and see if I can't come up with a number. However, just by way of comparison, I took two TV Nihon projects (Dairanger and Decade) and, although I know they're done at different resolutions, I scaled them vertically to compare the relative height to the bottom of the frame. Remembering that all TVs will scale the picture and then afterwards cut off the overscan area.

Anyway, looking at this picture comparing the two, and then looking at the Dairanger ones on my TV, the baseline of the letters in "again?!" on the right is just about where the letters get cut off in the Dairanger on the left.

I'll have to break out Photoshop and do some math to work out how many pixels that actually represents.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Show me on this picture at what line that you see on your TV. The blue are the overscan areas.

gridman
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by gridman »

Phoenix512 wrote:Show me on this picture at what line that you see on your TV. The blue are the overscan areas.

[ Image ]
How about a shot of the actual picture?

I'd say the cutoff line is just slightly higher that the lower overscan line on your image.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

you could always take the video file and modify it into a slightly widescreen format. there are programs that can do that quite easily.
Kamen_Rider_Chojin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Post by Kamen_Rider_Chojin »

What way are you watching it on? If you're streaming it on your TV through an Xbox 360, Use the d-pad to select the display icon to toggle what display size you want. If you're streaming it on your TV through a PS3, bring the in-video menu and select the screen size icon to choose what screen size that's suited. Hope this helps you.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

also to note if your using a PC and you have a nVidia graphics card, you can manually adjust the screen res from the nVidia control centre to compensate for overscan
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”