Feelings of Dai Ranger so far

As promised, we would restart this show when the DVDs are out. Well, they're out now
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< ZyuRanger | DaiRanger | MegaRanger >
Phaiz
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Feelings of Dai Ranger so far

Post by Phaiz »

ive watched the first 2 episodes of dairanger here on TVN and i must say unlike the others, i dont quite have the like for it that much. I'm sure ill go back to it 1 day but for example ive watched 2 episodes of Zyuranger and ive already been hooked by the first episode. Dai didnt do that for me, AND NO its not cus PR that makes me hooked to Zyuranger. The only PR ive ever watched and completed is Ninja Storm..
Completed
KR Decade, KR Faiz, KR Blade and Shinkenger

Active
KR Den-O and KR Ryuki

Future
KR Den-O and Dekaranger
Zer0_tolerant
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai series
Quote: Now, count up your sins!!

Post by Zer0_tolerant »

Dairangers, to me I find it very good. It reminded me back in the day when PR came to North America and they had the actors fight outside their outfits. You can tell that there's alot of energy within the characters themselves which makes the whole series exciting.
Daishikaze
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito
Favorite Actor?: Ken Takakura
Favorite Band: Dio
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: omae wa mo shindeiru

Post by Daishikaze »

This is probably the only sentai series that really suits me from what I've seen, The action it tight, the characters don't get all goofy (from what I've seen), the monsters can actually get pretty creepy. It definitely strikes me as having a much more serious tone than some of the others I've seen.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Keeping in mind that this was early 90's, when it was completely acceptable to scare the crap out of kids in shows like this.
KeisukeShinji
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by KeisukeShinji »

anyone know when is ep31~50 will be out? O.o
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Patience is a virtue. We're working on them, they just take time.
KeisukeShinji
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by KeisukeShinji »

Oh okay, Sorry for the rush. Too eager for new eps >.<
friendlyquark
7X
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Bruce Banner
Favorite Actor?: Jet Li
Favorite Band: Imogen Heap
My boom: writing
Quote: Ca va, go-busters?

Post by friendlyquark »

I like the fact that the characters are being tortured in this series, not that I am a sadist or anything, but that they are really going through hell will make the payoff at the end that much more satisfying. You really feel like the characters are working hard to beat the bad guys. The first couple of episodes were sort of ho-hum, creepy, but not spectacular, then suddenly it got WOW. Just jaw-dropping. I am a martial arts geek anyway, so I am LOVING the different fighting styles, especially the drunken fist action. LOL

Totally digging this series.

I am actually kind of glad that the episodes are coming out somewhat staggered, or otherwise I would be doing nothing else but watching this show. :)
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

with the episode count currently standing at 35, its only a matter of time before the rest are released and it is completed to be enjoyed by one and all.

I've heard so many wonderful things I am definitely looking forward to watching all the episodes.

I have had a fantastic time rediscovering older Sentai programs, and to add this to the collection would be fantastic.
JadeTora
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by JadeTora »

Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:with the episode count currently standing at 35, its only a matter of time before the rest are released and it is completed to be enjoyed by one and all.

I've heard so many wonderful things I am definitely looking forward to watching all the episodes.

I have had a fantastic time rediscovering older Sentai programs, and to add this to the collection would be fantastic.
Hopefully they will be released soon, I'm with you on that.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Dairanger is the show that got me into Super Sentai. What more do I need to say?

It was so much darker than the PR adaptations I'd seen as a boy. People bled and died, and had real issues to deal with. There were consequences to the heroes' actions, and storylines that were actually coherent.

Years ago, I watched the first forty raws (in terrible quality, I might add) on YouTube. I liked them so much that I tracked down the last ten and uploaded them onto my own channel.

Since I'd already pieced the story together from what I saw on the show and what I read about it on Wikipedia and other sites, watching a subbed version isn't really anything new (in fact, I've already seen two other subbed versions, but both of them were abandoned before completion).

But it's still great to see it in better quality and with notes on the stuff I didn't get.
NoobRanger

Post by NoobRanger »

best roll call EVER!
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger

Post by bowspearer »

What can I say here. At first I honestly felt like it watching the series was going to be an exercise in masochism - not in that it was written that badly, but that the villains are creepy as all getup in the early eps. I dunno, maybe they stay as creepy, but you just get used to the creepiness.

Seriously, who wasn't freaked out by
Spoiler
the poor innocent lonely little bot who turns out to be the man eating tentacle (rape) monster when they saw it? The puppet master from eps 3-4 was also pretty messed up- to the point where the look honestly screamed out "pedophile".

But the series went from strength to strength.
Spoiler
Between Kou being the son of the Gouma emperor and brother to the heir to the throne, Ryou being half Gouma and Kaku being a Gouma himself, to name a few twists;
the series really did and still does set the bar for deep and intelligent storytelling in a Sentai series. Sentai series are targetted at kids, but the ordeals the Dairangers went through, even what Kou was put through, made this series anything but child's play.

If you want a childlike escape, avoid this series like the plague. However if you want a series that is raw, deep, mature, dark and profound, then I cannot recommend this series enough.

Return to “Sentai-Gosei Sentai DaiRanger”