Goseiger has ruined Sentai Forever in record time!

Souchaku! No wait...
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Shinkenger | Goseiger | Gokaiger >
EddieCurrent
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Quote: Oh, Ryunosuke, you're so silly!

Re: Goseiger has ruined Sentai Forever in record time!

Post by EddieCurrent »

Well, let me put it to you this way:

I have three nieces. One's ten, one's seven, and one's two.

I'm making little toku collections on memory sticks for them-- Nihon subs, since they're what I grab. They're two smart cookies who watch the subs on anime-- one of the ways they learned to read.

My eldest, E... she's gonna get the Shinkenger/ Den-o Collection. She's the one constantly stealing her mom's Sandman and Lone Wolf and Cub and then looking stuff up so she gets them better.

A, her little sister, is getting Ryukendo and Go-On. Because damn, will they suit her humor.

The youngest, I'll wait a bit.

I guess my point is: A) I realize we're a periphery demographic (and so are my nieces, come down to it) and B) even in the target demos of these silly shows we watch, there's different tastes. Some overlap, plenty of X is better than Y... and some of my crappy 90% is gonna be someone else's 10% that rocks.

Goseiger... it's not to my taste, so far. But it's doing what it is pretty darn good.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

EddieCurrent wrote:
I guess my point is: A) I realize we're a periphery demographic (and so are my nieces, come down to it) and B) even in the target demos of these silly shows we watch, there's different tastes. Some overlap, plenty of X is better than Y... and some of my crappy 90% is gonna be someone else's 10% that rocks.

Goseiger... it's not to my taste, so far. But it's doing what it is pretty darn good.
VERY well said.
And your nieces are lucky. The way TVN handles subs (perfect balance of original Japanese with explanation amid sweet and accurate translations), they will have some understanding Japanese culture and humor, broadening their horizons while it strengthens their reading and entertains them too. I'd even wager they pick up some Japanese language along the way. I wish more people would do this for their families.
Please delete this account.
Mojikara
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Jasmine
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Mojikara »

You know, after reading some of the negative comments on the first episode, I was shocked. It's wrong to call a series horrible on the first episode. I say give it some room to grow, and let it work out it's flaws. It'll get better eventually.

Some people are willing to see a series develop over time, such as myself. But for others, they decide to bash it before it's given time to improve on it's flaws. *COUGHCOUGHDRKAINCOUGHCOUGH!!*
Another legend has left us too early...
--
On a lighter note:

There is training in
O o
/¯/________________________ _ __/
| FIRIN MAH LAZOR BLAAAAAAAAARGHH!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\
DrakosAmatras
Go Go!
Favorite series: Ryuki, GoGo, Geki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O, Boken
Dreamy: Morita Suzuka
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Buddhism
Quote: "I will die someday; it's only a matter of time."

Post by DrakosAmatras »

Hmm...... I think it's hard to blame just everyone who complained. Despite being in favor of not assessing the series' quality this early, I myself have polarizing opinions of Epic 1 in my head simultaneously. While it's not impossible that some are being a bit quick to decide, I'm pretty sure a good part of the discontent comes from the writing. To be specific, the "plot dump"; (avoiding spoilers) the whole basic premise is "recited" by a supporting (though definitely a regular) character in a "So let me see if I get this right" manner, immediately after the main characters themselves supposedly told him everything off-screen, despite having to keep it secret... before which the mains themselves just had another exposition scene. Is it bad? Not especially, but the overall plot certainly lost the amount of mystery and tension it could have milked from revealing that bit slowly. In addition, there were a few instances where the episode's plot doesn't follow its own logic.

As mentioned by posts above, Super Sentai aims towards a young audience, so being too subtle can't always be productive; in fact, there has been exposition scenes of varying subtlety around the beginning of previous titles. This instance just happened to be really blatant and sudden in recent mind. It was like being slapped in the face with a paper fan; it's no big deal, it doesn't hurt... but it was certainly dumbfounding.

In short, I'd like to believe that not all the complaints are about being picky; some of them at least must have had reasons there, aside from personal likes and dislikes.

Rescue Soldiers have never been more adorable.
momotachi
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Go Onger.
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto.
Dreamy: Princess Ebi-Chang.
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama.
Favorite Band: Varies.
My boom: Photography.

Post by momotachi »

I wasn't particularly impressed with the first two episodes. However, there were some really positive points and I feel as though the series needs time to grow and develop before people write it off entirely. The cast need to settle into their roles as well so I'm sure it will turn out to be enjoyable. (Or at least I hope so.) I'm personally just waiting to see who the add-on is and where they'll go plot-wise.
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by bowspearer »

I just started watching this series and maybe it's because the Goseigers come across as complete douchebags in the 199 Sentai movie (especially Alata), but I just feel nothing for the characters. I'm upto the 3rd episode in and they just come across as a team of misfits in the worst way possible. The Landick tribe are a pack of snobs who consider the Seaick tribe a pack of cowards; Hyde is more concerned with getting home than saving people and was almost ready to let a good 50 odd people die - even though he's supposed to be in training to protect the planet and Alata isn't even completely in charge of his own morphing gear (Seriously- losing your morphing gear? I'd expect that from a Green Sentai; never from a Red). Eri appears to be the only likeable character there but I'm not sure she's enough to offset the other 4.

I'll be masochistic and watch from episode 3 onwards, but tbh, out of the now 9 Sentai series (Zyuranger, Dairanger, Boukenger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyouryuger and now Goseiger) I have either watched fully or partly (not including those who showed up in Gokaiger as cameos), this is the first time I have encountered a Sentai team who completely rubs me up the wrong way. I'm not optimisitc my opinion will change...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It gets better once GoseiKnight shows up in episode 17...
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

I feel that the five main Goseigers don't really develop or grow much throughout the show. GoseiKnight is definitely the best character in the show, with Nozomu a close second. I have only five episodes left so I'm pretty confident that it's not gonna change at this point.
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/

Return to “Tensou Sentai Goseiger”