Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Goseiger Returns released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Tensou_Sen ... _Last_Epic

So this felt very much par for the course for the Goseigers. It was a good epilogue. We got to see the Goseigers go on one final adventure and it expanded the story a little bit in a way that fit with the series.

I liked the monster design. I was half expecting the extracted Yumeko suit to look the same, but surprisingly, they had a different thing for that. That really bothers me in like OOO and other shows where there's a face or something in the body even after the person has been removed.

The fight was pretty good too. The only thing I really didn't care for was Nozomu's obligatory, repetitive and rambling speech. But honestly, there's no way I would have enjoyed listening to a kid speak for any length of time.

I definitely feel like this was a better epilogue than the Shinkenger one from last year. This happens clearly after the end of the series (the note about this happening before the Great Legend War or Legendary Great War was a nice touch too since viewers would be wondering why they still had their powers). The Shinkenger one felt like it could have happened at any time, and wasn't really as compelling since most of it occurred in a dream.

But the real question is, did Goseiger Returns have to be made? When Shinkenger ended, everybody quietly going off on their separate ways, it really made me feel like I wanted to see more of what they did after being Shinkengers. Oddly enough, Shinkenger Returns didn't do much to answer that question. When Goseiger ended, there was a pretty lengthy farewell and a lively ending scene that was a nice wrap up to the series. It's nice to see what they're doing in Goseiger Returns, but I have to admit that I wasn't as curious about the matter as in the Shinkenger case.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Goseiger Returns released

Post by PHurricane »

I think that the disappointment and/or confusion with the Shinkenger special was the assumption that “They’re Back!” meant that it took place after the series. Instead, it was more like an extra script set sometime in the final arc of the series that couldn’t be aired during the series because they either (a) ran out of time or (b) the plot was too tightly wound to frolic on a side-story. There’s no question that Last Epic is an epilogue to Goseiger, and Toei probably figured since there was so much interest in a Shinkenger epilogue there was no harm in shooting one for Goseiger as long as the cast was still available.

It was enjoyable. I seem to tolerate Goseiger much better when it’s condensed into short storylines with an end in sight (summer movie, VS movie, the series’ final arc).

The only problem I had with Nozomu’s speech was that it threw off a prediction I made to myself. As soon as the villain started gloating (correctly) that the Goseigers wouldn’t attack him because they didn’t want to risk hurting his civilian host, I swore that would be the cue for GoseiKnight’s gun-blazing entrance. (channels inner Scooby Doo!fan) I would’ve been right too, if it wasn’t for that pesky kid and his talking arcade machine!

Eh. At least they remembered the friendship between GoseiKnight and Nozomu by having him come to Nozomu’s rescue when the crowd turned on him.

It was nice to hear Over the Rainbow in the series. I wonder if they had to do any photoshoots for the idol merchandise, or if they just pulled it all from existing stuff.

The “underground vault” looked familiar. Was that the same set as the Lab?
Draiken
Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Draiken »

I thought the setup with the prime minister being kidnapped as a tad strange. Like, why would the prime minister do that or agree to the scheme and ruin the Goseigers' reputation, but I'm probably overthinking it. The credits scene with Yumeko studying a script made me a little curious as to how she would explain her determination to return to being an actress since her memory of the Goseigers would have been wiped (unless she was excluded like Professor Amachi and Nozomu are), but again, probably over-thinking. XD

Shinkenger Returns was cool and humorous considering the different scenes, but I do agree that it didn't feel like an epilogue while Goseiger Returns really gave that feel.

I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed with Nozomu's speech too; in my case, I was expecting the Goseigers themselves to convince the people and erase the malice to weaken King Biibi instead of Nozomu broadcasting himself to do that. XD
(I do find it interesting that the Professor and Nozomu's trust in the team didn't have them give into their hatred and release black smoke themselves. THAT probably would've been nasty to experience.)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I liked it overall since it was more like an extension of the original series while the Shinkenger one wasn't at all. I didn't really feel that they needed to include the Great Legendary War part in the beginning. It felt like a slap to the intelligence of people that they couldn't figure that out for themselves. The whole underground vault scene that made all the Goseigers stupid. I know most of them don't really think logically but Hyde should have noticed "Isn't that vault a bit too small to fit a person into?"

When watching the scene when Alata and Eri were fighting Mons Drake, Kinggon, and Robogog, it made think of why GoseiKnight didn't use CamouMirage to have a human form. It would have been more interesting for him to have a human form so he wouldn't be regulated to secondary character status like he was in the Goseiger movie. I didn't mind the speech by Nozomu. It was nice that GoseiKnight was able to tie his experience of being betrayed to save Yumeko.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Pretty much par for the course for Goseiger, fairly standard, best part was of course GoseiKnight. The King Biibi costume surprise me insomuch that it was really good. It was a very imaginative take on the original Biibi design and it looked badass without overdoing it on the details.

Of course, the question resonating throughout the room while this was playing: "How the hell does the Memory card work?" It seems like it only works on people's memories, but that just means that at the end, there's a couple million people running around with Goseiger merchandise, internet forums filled with talk about the Goseigers, archival footage of the Goseigers, etc. There's no way that someone's not going to notice all this information floating around. Not to mention that Nozomu got like 5 love letters while he was popular, surely those girls are going to notice a sudden boyfriend.

I'm probably over analyzing, but it just bugs me that they wouldn't mention all this stuff.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

/me MemoryBury Card Luna's memory
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

This was a really good final episode/special. It was a bit stupid to over explain where this fit in. I thought the US only did this. I guess Japan falls into the "kids are dumb" stereotype issue too. I liked this episode over the damn movie. Shame this wasn't the movie.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

Hmm, at the beginning when they do a roll call over the 5 Goseiger they forget to mention Agri. A bit weird and probably a editing mistake. Or did someone notice the narator call Agri's name?

So what do I think of the movie. I liked how they actually continued with Biibi's as the enemy and not some reminant of either of the 3 factions. The Biibi's were created by Buredoran after all. The end fight was decent enough.

Overall this movie sucks. I really disliked this movie. There are two premises for stories that I hate. The first is where the heroes get chase a brat all over town and do the stupidest things to keep it happy. The second premise I hate is when the heroes get the idol fever. This movie was the latter. Where does that manager instantly come from? The goseigers did not ask for him. And why do they instantly forget their mission after the press event. I thought Hyde and Agri would be sensible enough to walk away. But NOOOO!!! They don't even need persuation to fall in line. It all felt like a cheap shot to string some action events together.

This movie completely sucks and it seems like the writers were just to lazy to think up something good. I really want to use a MemoryFly/Wash/Bury card to wipe my mind clean of this movie.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Silent_X »

This made more sense as an epilogue, but I think I enjoyed the Shinkenger special more due to the craziness it contained.
Although, This topic isn't about the Shinkenger special! so I will stop talking about it.

Like the series I thought the movie was kind of bland overall, but also like the series I still enjoyed it for some reason.
I guess the characters grew on me a bit, and the "suddenly an idol" concept is easy to get a few laughs out of.
Also, anything with GoseiKnight in it has to be good.

I have a question though: Is there a reason why the actress/manager lady looked a lot like Eri? With the ears and hair?
Am I just seeing things?
Lunagel wrote:internet forums filled with talk about the Goseigers,
And those forums are probably run by Gai, or I'd at least imagine he'd be a moderator at one of them.
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.
archer9234
Faiz
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Niek wrote:Hmm, at the beginning when they do a roll call over the 5 Goseiger they forget to mention Agri. A bit weird and probably a editing mistake. Or did someone notice the narator call Agri's name?

So what do I think of the movie. I liked how they actually continued with Biibi's as the enemy and not some reminant of either of the 3 factions. The Biibi's were created by Buredoran after all. The end fight was decent enough.

Overall this movie sucks. I really disliked this movie. There are two premises for stories that I hate. The first is where the heroes get chase a brat all over town and do the stupidest things to keep it happy. The second premise I hate is when the heroes get the idol fever. This movie was the latter. Where does that manager instantly come from? The goseigers did not ask for him. And why do they instantly forget their mission after the press event. I thought Hyde and Agri would be sensible enough to walk away. But NOOOO!!! They don't even need persuation to fall in line. It all felt like a cheap shot to string some action events together.

This movie completely sucks and it seems like the writers were just to lazy to think up something good. I really want to use a MemoryFly/Wash/Bury card to wipe my mind clean of this movie.
Every colored hero falls for being a idol. They will forget their main objective. This has been a constant, in the entire franchise. So you have to ignore this. The manger popping up is very simple. He saw money. He so bright colored people. He bum rushes in, to take over. Simple as that (Plus, he was brain washed by the monster). Some things you have to let slide. Like the rear flood lights being behind the Goseigers roll call. Then vanishing once it was done.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

And unless a character is setup to persue a career as an idol, the story is still stupid and dislikable as hell. "It has been done before" excuse does not apply here. It was stupid before and it is still stupid now. It is lazy writing to string a series of events in a flimsy story.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

Then you have to hate SS in general.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

PHurricane wrote:I swore that would be the cue for GoseiKnight’s gun-blazing entrance.
I was hanging out for this as well. It was what he did best.

I liked this. But then again, I liked Goseiger a lot more than most people. Definitly sad to see them go.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

archer9234 wrote:Then you have to hate SS in general.
Uhm, no! Why? Just because a series has one or two of these bad episodes doesn't make the entire series bad.
neonblue2
Gabu
Favorite series: A lot
My boom: Kitties!

Post by neonblue2 »

Yet another Hana Kimi alumnus stars in toku. It must be a curse or something. Well, at least it's a good curse.

Return to “Tensou Sentai Goseiger”