Travelling over time and space
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< MegaRanger | TimeRanger | DekaRanger >
ViRGE
Save the life

New TimeRanger Release (v3)?

Post by ViRGE »

On the front page Takenoko mentions the new TimeRanger release, which on the tracker is called v3. But what's actually different from the previously released episodes (i.e. why would I want to download this)? The announcement is a bit short, so I feel like I'm missing something here...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: New TimeRanger Release (v3)?

Post by takenoko »

Xiiliea wants to translate the series, so I'm giving her the first 15 to clean up. That way it'll be more consistent when the new episodes are out. I'm also encoding it at 29.970 since that apparently looks better than 23.976. I blame Toei's bad DVD authoring for this, though.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Xiiliea wants to translate the series, so I'm giving her the first 15 to clean up. That way it'll be more consistent when the new episodes are out. I'm also encoding it at 29.970 since that apparently looks better than 23.976. I blame Toei's bad DVD authoring for this, though.
Ahh, thanks for the explanation.:)

Just a suggestion on your front page post then:

"After a long hiatus, we're resuming our subbing of TimeRanger. This time Xiiliea will be translating the series, so we're going to release updated versions of the first 15 episodes to be more consistent with the rest of her translation. Please check it out!

Also, if you want to help QC for KyuuRanger, Time, Deka, Blade, or anything else we're working on, please send me a PM on the forums. Thanks!"

As for the framerate, as I recall the last batch was 29.97 as well. The ED was definitely shot at 29.97, and certain effects looked like they were mastered at 29.97 too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess I found it confusing since it seems like some frames are duplicated every 4 frames?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Yus. Love TimeRanger. Not really sure why it was a flop when it aired.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I guess I found it confusing since it seems like some frames are duplicated every 4 frames?
Yep. That's what happens with a mix of 30fps (29.97) and 24fps (23.976) material. Long story short, since SDTV is 60Hz interlaced and would like to be fed matching material (in this case 30fps), the 3:2 pulldown process(telecine) was invented to exploit this process. 3:2 pulldown makes it possible to distribute 24fps material over a 30fps rate by duplicating some of the material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

So when you reverse this process, you end up with an extra frame, constructed from the duplicated material.

TimeRanger was filmed on film, so it's natively at 24fps. However, as was common for a lot of other shows of the 90s, it looks like they did some of their post-processing after telecine. Furthermore the ED and parts of the OP are straight-up 30fps material. So this is a bit of a worst-case scenario, with a mix of 24fps material, 24fps material with 30fps effects, and 30fps material.

Releasing it at 29.97fps is typically the "most correct" option in this case since it doesn't drop any frames, and as such no information is lost. But I agree that the duplicated frames are annoying.

(At this point I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary that TimeRanger be at 29.97fps. However I'd have to take a look at the original material and see just what is at 30fps. At a minimum, dropping to 24fps means the OP and ED will become choppy (and perhaps some artifacts as well). But it could potentially mean more consistent motion for the show itself by dropping that duplicate frame. So it depends on what you'd consider more important. But it also depends on how good your deinterlace/telecine processor is; if they can switch things up quickly enough to avoid problems.

* For extra bonus mind-screwing, consider that H.264+MP4 makes it possible to have a variable frame rate, so you could have sections of 24fps and 30fps)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's confusing because xiiliea noticed that my 23.976 raws had some weird squiggly lines whenever there were screen transitions. So something about my deinterlacing/reducing to 23.976 process loss some information that made the transition more smooth. So I'm not really sure if taking out those bonus frames are worth it either.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:It's confusing because xiiliea noticed that my 23.976 raws had some weird squiggly lines whenever there were screen transitions. So something about my deinterlacing/reducing to 23.976 process loss some information that made the transition more smooth. So I'm not really sure if taking out those bonus frames are worth it either.
The scene transitions may have been done after it was telecined. It wasn't uncommon for TV shows shot on film to do that as part of the final step of post-production.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

What's different about this release:

- Translation checked from captions. Some translations in the old releases were wrong because they were done by ear translation.

- Insert karaokes. I personally think that all insert songs should be subbed because they are best read when you're watching the fight scenes / emo scenes. (except when they're repeated way too much, then I stop it after a number of repetitions)

- Consistency. There were many discrepancies in previous translations eg. ChronoAccess / Chrono Access

- Improved typesetting. I felt that some texts just didn't fit eg. weird fonts and unnecessary shadows, weird colors etc.

- It will get completed! Well, depends on the speed of QC. Feel free to join the team if you want to help QC. I'll probably complete like 5 episodes per week or two, since I'm bogged down by another project.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So is this being actively worked on then? Or is it just a "when we get a chance" kind of thing?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

HowlingSnail wrote:So is this being actively worked on then? Or is it just a "when we get a chance" kind of thing?
Above you:
xiiliea wrote:- It will get completed! Well, depends on the speed of QC. Feel free to join the team if you want to help QC. I'll probably complete like 5 episodes per week or two, since I'm bogged down by another project.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

xiiliea wrote:What's different about this release:

- Translation checked from captions. Some translations in the old releases were wrong because they were done by ear translation.

- Insert karaokes. I personally think that all insert songs should be subbed because they are best read when you're watching the fight scenes / emo scenes. (except when they're repeated way too much, then I stop it after a number of repetitions)

- Consistency. There were many discrepancies in previous translations eg. ChronoAccess / Chrono Access

- Improved typesetting. I felt that some texts just didn't fit eg. weird fonts and unnecessary shadows, weird colors etc.

- It will get completed! Well, depends on the speed of QC. Feel free to join the team if you want to help QC. I'll probably complete like 5 episodes per week or two, since I'm bogged down by another project.
Great. Thank you for the explanation, xiiliea, and thank you for taking this on. :)
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

It's nice that this series is getting some attention after so long. Timeranger is one of the series I wanted to see most because of how dark it was and that Power Rangers was faithful to it. I also love Yuuri because she's hot and forceful and that's a trait not seen in the current series.

I don't know how long this series will take to be subbed, but -snip-.
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't say anyhing about other fansubbers.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Take your time (no pun intended). Like all fan subbers, you're doing us a favor so no worries.

As for the video quality: if I have the money when/if Time ranger comes to Blu-ray, I'll buy and offer the isos. I heard good things about Kuuga on Blu-ray so hopefully Time ranger will benefit as well. :)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I honestly don't know what's going on with the TimeRanger DVDs (sounds like it's some kind of hybrid?). But I also feel like you can chalk part of it up to the DVDs being early on in TOei's DVD releases, so maybe they hadn't quite gotten the formatting down?

That said, I doubt we'll ever see TimeRanger on Blu-ray. Maybe if Toei puts everything else they have on Blu-ray first (They can start with Bouken through Goseiger).

Return to “Sentai-Mirai Sentai TimeRanger”