Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: TimeRanger Case File 28 released

Post by takenoko »

Mask break. Thought it was funny how dad just happened to be on the scene to see it.

Good episode. Nice to see the themes of Tatsuya fighting against his fate continue.

Isn't V-Rex supposed to be a good guy? It just killed like a thousand people.
Smart Jason
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Ian Yorkland
Favorite Actor?: Konno Ayuri
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Revenge is sweet
Type: ESTJ Supervisor

Post by Smart Jason »

Dear takenoko, I hope u can solve my problems. When u import .d2v file to make an avs script, do u analyse the source type to automatically deinterlace or use just ur experience by guessing the source type?

Because I saw some extra frames on Time episodes. So I thought it shud be 23.97. As I mentioned above, if u use analyse button, it will automatically determine source type and the result is always 23.97. For me, no matter how many times I change DVDs (cartoon,movies,power rangers, etc) , it always produce 23.97.

So, can u patiently explain me? Please.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm not too sure myself. I think I was talking with Virge or someone and they said it was a hybrid or something?
Smart Jason
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Ian Yorkland
Favorite Actor?: Konno Ayuri
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Revenge is sweet
Type: ESTJ Supervisor

Post by Smart Jason »

Can u explain more specifically? I m working on encoding project and MeGUI still produces just 23.97. If i didnt do deinterlacing, I got 29.97 which is interlaced file. So there is nothing for me to get 29.97 progressive video. Please explain me.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

My ears are on fire.

I'm not the person who does the TV-N encodes, but I know a thing or two about the DVD source.
ViRGE wrote:
takenoko wrote:I guess I found it confusing since it seems like some frames are duplicated every 4 frames?
Yep. That's what happens with a mix of 30fps (29.97) and 24fps (23.976) material. Long story short, since SDTV is 60Hz interlaced and would like to be fed matching material (in this case 30fps), the 3:2 pulldown process(telecine) was invented to exploit this process. 3:2 pulldown makes it possible to distribute 24fps material over a 30fps rate by duplicating some of the material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

So when you reverse this process, you end up with an extra frame, constructed from the duplicated material.

TimeRanger was filmed on film, so it's natively at 23.976fps. However, as was common for a lot of other shows of the 90s, it looks like they did some of their post-processing after telecine. Furthermore the ED and parts of the OP are straight-up 29.97fps material. So this is a bit of a worst-case scenario, with a mix of 23.976fps material, 23.976fps material with 30fps effects, and 29.97fps material.

Releasing it at 29.97fps is typically the "most correct" option in this case since it doesn't drop any frames, and as such no information is lost. But I agree that the duplicated frames are annoying.

(At this point I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary that TimeRanger be at 29.97fps. However I'd have to take a look at the original material and see just what is at 29.97fps. At a minimum, dropping to 23.976fps means the OP and ED will become choppy (and perhaps some artifacts as well). But it could potentially mean more consistent motion for the show itself by dropping that duplicate frame. So it depends on what you'd consider more important. But it also depends on how good your deinterlace/telecine processor is; if they can switch things up quickly enough to avoid problems.
I'm assuming that TV-N is using a decomb filter rather than a true Inverse Telecine filter. So rather than reconstruct the original frames and discard the duplicate, they're essentially doing a more complex process to remove the interlacing artifacts themselves. Because otherwise it would mess up the 29.97fps material.

Return to “Sentai-Mirai Sentai TimeRanger”