Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

ZyuRanger 18 released

Post by Slowking »

Let the drama continue.

Not only do the Zyuranger keep getting beaten every time they meet Burai, Geki finally learns more about his past from Baaza - a past which is very strongly connected to the self-proclaimed Yamato Tribe Prince Burai.

You can't help but feel for Geki. Firstly, the truth being revealed suddenly. Secondly, his brother, who he never had the chance to meet before (or know he even existed), has turned against him. And thirdly, DaiZyuJin wants Geki to fight Burai for the sake of justice, not caring about Geki's feelings at all.

I really miss mecha intervening in ground fights by themselves nowadays in recent sentai... DaiZyuJin is so cool when he attacks DragonRanger, and even cooler when he reflects Burai's Hellfried Sword beam with the MammothShield. It's kind of weird that DaiZyuJin saved Geki only because Geki is needed to defeat Burai.

On Bandora's side, there have been some very interesting things going on. Firstly, the Hellfried Sword. Makes you wonder why she gave it to him. Especially whilst on her bike chuckling outside those doors. Creepy. Secondly, yet another mention of this "Satan", and thirdly, the mention that Burai is but a pawn in her plan to defeat DaiZyuJin. So the focus is diverted onto what is supporting the Zyuranger. And the writers have done great in mentioning there is such a plan. Maximises the tension.

Oh and, don't forget to sing and dance alongside Bandora. Dodorara dodorara Bandora!

Next time:

Spoiler
A new female warrior appears. Oh the Dinosaur Eggs show up once again. I guess the Zyuranger can't really relax, can they?
Behold the Emperor!
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: ZyuRanger 18 released

Post by ReversedSentai »

For some reason, the whole back story with Geki and Burai really reminds me of the medieval times in England where kings would often kill each other and even reflect their hatred towards their siblings for throne.

However, I do feel bad for Geki. Having to fight your own brother like that is a tough experience.
TheZen
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: DragonRanger

Post by TheZen »

I have to admit, these last two episodes have had more tension in them than most Sentai have in the entire series! Not only is the tension rising with each episode, it's happening mid-season! I remember when Power Rangers has the "Green With Evil" saga and how it lasted like 6-7 episodes.

Those weeks were TORTURE. The only thing that ever compared to it was in Dino Thunder, when the White Ranger played with the other rangers' emotions. I have no idea how well it was in Abaranger (haven't seen it yet) but I'm sure it's on a similar level.

That said, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite Sentai series (which is basically Gekiranger). It was nice to see young Burai/Kou. It's kinda cool that he was in consecutive Sentai series representing a sixth hero. I can't wait for Burai to bust out that Dragon Dagger and play the original Dragon call...
No nuts, no donuts.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Oh, for the love of...Burai...i'm sorry to be the one to give you the bad news...but...you see, a lot of things happened while you were sleeping and well...i'm sorry to tell you, but even if you manage to convince people that you are the ruler of a kingdom that doesn't exist anymore and that they should obey you...well...kings don't rule the world anymore since a long, loooong time.
Also, i think there would be one or two steps to take after defeating the zyuurangers before you can seriously consider you are any closer to take over the world.

So, castles already existed during the time of dinosaurs? cool. And from the architecture, i would say it's european, so i guess Geki is from what we now know as england, or maybe germany...i don't think france, and i have never seen how italian castles look like...do italians even HAVE castles? because i don't think rome had and italy is......why i'm talking about this?

Oh, no, please no, not a song about pollution. i hate when a series does this, having a pollution message that doesn't fit with the series thematic at all. i hated when Gaogaigar(out of NOWHERE) did it in it's final episode, and i hate it here. why does she even care, anyway? unless our dino-european castles already had tons of pollution, i don't think that had anything to do with her evil motivation the first time.
But bandora saying her name was catchy.
DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Post by DereklBarona »

Her little rap in ep16 was enough, but that musical number was it for me.

I'm officially hanging up my henshin device and joining the Bandora Gang. They clearly have so much more fun than the heroes ever will.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

I have to admit, these last two episodes have had more tension in them than most Sentai have in the entire series! Not only is the tension rising with each episode, it's happening mid-season!
That said, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite Sentai series (which is basically Gekiranger)
I'm not judging you or anything but I sincerely don't get how you can say that. Your favorite sentai is Gekiranger in which every other episode feels like the end of the series, Zyuranger is far from that dramatic rythm.

Mid-season Jetman has a character sacrificing himself for another, the group nearly disbanding and romance (some involving bad guys). Dairanger has, very early on, a lot of plots involving the characters that hold the series through. Timeranger has as much tension (and a lot more character drama) in its first ten episodes (note to everyone : go check them out and thank TV nihon for translating them). NONE of these series have the bad guys sing a stupid song about themselves in a middle of an high-tension storyarc or supposedly good guys throwing grenades at a kid for something that they easily forgive him about later on (which was fun to watch, but plain silly). Those are just random examples.

I know part of my opinion on this show is based on personal feelings (I'm no fan of the dinosaur/fantasy mix and think the fantasy part was better done in Gingaman) but part of it is also based on actual facts and comparison to other sentai.

The point is Zyuranger is weak compared to other series. It has some great ideas (Burai is one of them) but often counters them with childish wtf moments (wait until you see Bandora's backstory, it's still one of the dumbest sentai plots in my opinion). Ohranger got the same treatment, it has some good plot devices, and then robots doing aerobics.

You have the right to love the series for its nostalgic value, which I respect, but you should keep a critic eye on it nonetheless. I was lucky enough to discover sentai before Power Rangers so Bioman is my nostalgic series, but I can see how flawed it is.

That said, the Burai arcs are the high point of the show, so enjoy!
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I think in some cases, depending on certain series, people are willing to overlook certain things provided that there is an overall entertainment value inherent in what you are watching. There are certain shows that obviously can get away with certain flaws if the overall execution of story, plot and narrative is solid, but there are some shows that have such glaring problems that cannot be ignored for love or money.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about things, because everyone finds certain things that they like or dislike about certain things and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I read an article that described the series 'Fiveman' as being the second worse Sentai program next to 'Dynaman', but I've also read some other articles that place 'Fiveman' at the top tier of personal favorite Tokusatsu programs.

One person describes Dairanger as being one of their favorite sentai programs, while I on the other hand find it to be rather dull. That's just my opinion.

Now, I rather enjoy Zyuranger, not just because of the nostalgia factor in its connection to Power Rangers, but because it is a very entertaining series. And in the end, that's usually all that we ask for from television and movies, to be entertained, which is more than can be said for most films and television programs we're inundated with on a daily or weekly basis.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Blackcondorguy wrote:Ohranger got the same treatment, it has some good plot devices, and then robots doing aerobics.
Don't forget that all of the main 5 robot villains had names that were punned off dogs. >>
Blackcondorguy wrote:Dairanger has, very early on, a lot of plots involving the characters that hold the series through.
Eh... Dai always had character plots for each Dairanger during the show.
You had Shouji with the three idiots, Ryou with Jin, Lin with Kou, etc. etc.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

locuas wrote:
So, castles already existed during the time of dinosaurs? cool. And from the architecture, i would say it's european, so i guess Geki is from what we now know as england, or maybe germany...
His tribe is called Yamato.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato

The implication I take from this is that his tribe is the ancestor of Japan.

There's also Goushi's tribe, Sharma. Sharma is a common surname in India, it's possible that they were supposed to be the ancestors of Indians or even Middle Easterners as a whole.

The other three probably have real-world connections as well.
locuas wrote:Oh, no, please no, not a song about pollution. i hate when a series does this, having a pollution message that doesn't fit with the series thematic at all. i hated when Gaogaigar(out of NOWHERE) did it in it's final episode, and i hate it here. why does she even care, anyway? unless our dino-european castles already had tons of pollution, i don't think that had anything to do with her evil motivation the first time.
Totes on this one. At least back then, TV shows just warned people about pollution, and didn't use the phantom of global warming to scare them into doing something about it. But it's still annoying.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Dodorara dodorara Bandora~
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Duskmon897
Quote: Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Post by Duskmon897 »

So far the Dragonranger arc is more interesting than it's US counterpart. The long lost, jilted brother is more compelling than new kid is kidnapped and brainwashed. For whatever reason the Japanese love taking sibling rivalry to the extreme:

Inuyasha x Sesshomaru
Sasuke x Itachi
Vash the Stampede x Millions Knives
Marik x Ishizu Ishtar
Goku x Raditz
Domon x Kyoji Kasshu
Koji Minamoto x Kōichi Kimura
Geki X Burai

If you don't love your brother/sister you want to kill them dead.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I dunno how much Malik and Isis fit into your statement. For starters, neither was "long-lost" since after the latter's family adopted him, Malik had been with Isis and Rishid his whole life, for better or for worse. Also, Isis didn't exactly want her step-brother dead. She was only concerned about his dark half getting loose and killing the Pharaoh; something that deep down, the regular Malik didn't want at all.

I suppose Dark Malik and Rishid could work but, the former's too ax-crazy to really fall in this area.
Ginhoshi
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto, Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Decade, OOO
Dreamy: Jasmine Reimon
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Maria
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ranger Keys
Quote: Obaachan gaitteita. Otoko ga yatte wa ikenai kotoga futatsu aru. Onanoko wo nakaseru kototo, tabemono wo somatsu ni suru kotoda.

Post by Ginhoshi »

So Tommy becoming the white ranger is totally OK. Since Kou played the young Burai the Dragon Ranger then Kou is Kiba Ranger. No plot holes in there at all. :lol:
Duskmon897
Quote: Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Post by Duskmon897 »

I dunno how much Malik and Isis fit into your statement. For starters, neither was "long-lost" since after the latter's family adopted him, Malik had been with Isis and Rishid his whole life, for better or for worse. Also, Isis didn't exactly want her step-brother dead. She was only concerned about his dark half getting loose and killing the Pharaoh; something that deep down, the regular Malik didn't want at all.
I was talking not so much about long lost siblings in that case, more psychotic sibling rivalry's. Good sibling versus evil sibling. Though the Ishtars are admittedly the lesser of my list, they still fit. Ishizu fought with everything to try and stop Marik, and he threatened to kill her more than once.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Kinda weird that Bandora has a demon sword in reserve when she created another just a couple of episodes back, but I guess that's a part of her plan. Also wonder what the reason for Burai & Geki's father was for rebelling against the Yamato King. Loved the impromptu music video Bandora put together.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”