ZyuRanger without the Jews
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kyouryuuger 12 released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kyouryuuger_Brave_12

If you don't know a lot about Japanese holidays, this might be a good episode for you to wiki "Chidren's Day" and "Boy's Day".

Well, it didn't take too long for that cat to get out of the bag. I'm rather glad of it though, because now instead of the standard "I still don't like you and I'm not going to fight with you" for 5 episodes, we immediately get to the "we're partners now!" bit.

Ucchi's like a cute puppy. He wants so bad to be a big bad guard dog and make everyone scared of him but in reality he just wants to be your friend and for you to like him. The classroom scene with Amy was fantastic. I wish there was a clear shot of the board so I could translate it all.

Minor translation note, since this line didn't quite get all the punch it needed in English - at one point Tangosekku says the phrase "Like a cicada to the flame." This is a play on the phrase 飛んで火に入る夏の虫, which literally means "Like a summer insect flying into the fire," basically a different version of our "Like a moth to the flame." However, Tangosekku changes it to 飛んで火に入る空の蝉, using the kanji 空 and 蝉 from Utsusemimaru's name 空蝉丸, changing it to mean "Like an empty cicada flying into the fire."

Another translation note: Utsusemimaru speaks like a samurai, but his particular phrasings use humble qualifiers that denote him as lesser status than the person he's talking to. Whenever he talked to Daigo before, he didn't use those words, but suddenly he switches to a humble speech form. Hence why Daigo comments on it. He's not surprised about the samurai speech, he's surprised at Utsusemimaru being a humble guy.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Kyouryuuger 12 released

Post by PHurricane »

The eyecatch was proud to announce a 6-person change, but I was more impressed by the 5 person battle near the beginning of the episode with everyone incorporating their samba routine into the fight. Actually, the 6 person change was kind of painful from an audio perspective - you had the theme song in the background, plus the samba whistling, Gold’s jingle, and all the sound effects on top of each other which ended up clashing and just sounding really loud.

Part of me is a little disappointed that Ucchii’s humble personality was revealed to everyone so quickly, but it makes sense in hindsight. Torin knew something was up because they worked together in the past, Amy was in on the deception, and at a minimum King would have found out based on their conversation in the village. With Amy spilling the beans, we got that hilarious reaction to hearing Ucchii’s nickname for the first time, plus Amy’s nod that practically dared anyone to argue with her.

Most of my other thoughts are a bit disjointed this week:
-The random English words on the whiteboard was a nice detail, considering Amy is supposed to be at least part American.
-I had major Imagin vibes with the echo-y voice asking the kid if he wanted to be strong.
-King getting cut by Tsuyoshi’s blade makes me flinch every time I watched that scene. Very painful.
-Ucchii, I’m sorry, but shooting a weapon at the ground to make a dust cloud does not qualify it to be called a “secret technique”.
-I’m surprised there was anything left for Luckyuro to water - they went for the overkill on the small version of the monster - all of the individual finishers, plus one-and-a-half group finishers. I'm not sure if Gold's attack was truly merged into the Kentrospiker attack or not.
-I think I could listen to anything that Psychic Lover sings, but Gold’s theme song sounded especially good during the mecha fight.
-Speaking of music, the videos of the kids dancing are adorable. It was nice to see a mix of boys and girls chosen.
-Nossan-dono. Nice to see that joke continued, with Ucchii putting his own personal spin on it.
-Is that Ucchii doing the sponsor message voiceover before the first CM break now? I noticed that Daigo was doing it up to this point, which was unusual, but it’s definitely changed now and not back to the generic female that you usually hear for sentai episodes.
telenstias
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Jetman
Favorite Actor?: Mark Musashi
Favorite Band: Metallica
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ayami Misaki
Quote: With this King Stick, I will bash them! Hey! This is wrong! Mou! This is a kanji too, but this is the wrong one! This is OhRanger's KingRanger! Shinkenger is the gold, shiny one.

Post by telenstias »

I just really appreciate the fact that Utsusemimaru is that dedicated samurai type, what with all the "de gozaru" and the lord title with the names. Makes me appreciate the Sengoku even more.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

PHurricane wrote:-I think I could listen to anything that Psychic Lover sings, but Gold’s theme song sounded especially good during the mecha fight.
I thought so too until Kyoryuujin's "Sha ha ha" junk kicked in too and, ugh; that section of everything was just an aural assault.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

I don't like the audio mix between the Kyouryuugers transformation songs. They were grating on the ears. Sure, alone, they sound amazing, but together, it's terrible.

Lighting Kyouryujin is kinda.....clunky to be honest.

I still can't get over the way the monsters grow this time around. It's a bit of an annoyance. If whoever gets the right to be a producer on this show removes that, I'll be happy.

Is anyone else getting a Kenshin vibe from Uuchii? Maybe it's just me.
TaelonZ
7X
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by TaelonZ »

The return of the shinkinger grunt weapons was a nice touch to emphaisise the samurai nature of the hidden village
kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

I'm pretty pleased with the addition to this show, it's renewing my love for it. Nossan already had me by episode 1, Ucchi just held it in place. ( also do his shoes have flowers on them? I'm in love! )

- Torin knows everything. He's a pretty rad adviser dude.
- . . . . .butt bites. Daigo I worry about you sometimes, I really really do.
- RED BOXERS ahhhhhhh
- Gabutyra is all SCREW YOUR FOG, I WILL FIND DAIGO OKAY
- Ucchi you are now Team Mom keep working at it and someday it will be the best

IS THAT DAIGO IN A DRESS WHAT IS EVEN ALREADY CROSSDRESSING IS THIS KAMEN RIDER

Anyone know who the VA of the MotW is? He sounds so really, really familiar.

I really hope I 'm not the only NON-Ucchi/Amy shipper cause....newp. Throwing the only girl at errbody does not bode well for anything.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Post by MarcosPMA »

Wow Amy...that classroom scene...you look...very...professional?

Good episode overall, but I wish Ucchii could've still been a jerk for another episode, I just love badass/hardass samurais.
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's interesting that they use the term Boy's Day since we live in a PC world and apparently girls are important too (I don't remember the last time I heard it referred to anything but Children's Day)
Lunagel wrote:However, Tangosekku changes it to 飛んで火に入る空の蝉, using the kanji 空 and 蝉 from Utsusemimaru's name 空蝉丸, changing it to mean "Like an empty cicada flying into the fire."
Sora no semi would be "flying cicada" or literally "cicada in the sky". If it were supposed to be hollow, then that kanji would take on the kara sound like kara-te "empty hand" or utsu like utsusemi "cast-off cicada shell, man of the world, real world" (yes, those are the definitions for that word in this dictionary XD). Utsusemimaru is apparently a very profound name!
Coldfission
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Coldfission »

TaelonZ wrote:The return of the shinkinger grunt weapons was a nice touch to emphaisise the samurai nature of the hidden village
I noticed that too.
samelf
7X

Post by samelf »

Its not just the grunts swords that make an return if you look close enough it appears that their chest piece makes a return as armor.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I was kind of hoping that the combination would incorporate all 6 of the main mecha. I suppose we'll have to settle for arm switching.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't recall its appearance in the show, but the arms are massive on the toys. I hope one of the new mechas forms some legs to balance that top-heavyness.
GarTkEZ
Salami Commander
Favorite series: BLACK/Jetman/AGITO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/Hibiki/Bouken
Favorite Band: Switchfoot
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Adventure Time

Post by GarTkEZ »

takenoko wrote:I don't recall its appearance in the show, but the arms are massive on the toys. I hope one of the new mechas forms some legs to balance that top-heavyness.
Re:toys - At least to me, the only massive arms so far are Zakutor & Parasagun - they're almost as long as Gabutyra is tall stood up for Kyoryujin Western, -snip for spoiler-

Also,
Spoiler
None of the remaining mechs go leg parts =(
Last edited by Lunagel on Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Future ep spoiler
IKKAN KENJO!
ChibiZyuJin
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ChibiZyuJin »

I still dislike the "Samba Henshin" music. It fit in the first fight scene but in a serious moment it ruins the atmosphere and all the build up goes to waste.
"Kabuki Henshin" on the other hand is awesome:D

The episode was one of the best. I hope it keeps getting better and better.

BTW Does Ucchi say "Iza Jin Jou ni!" when transforming?

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”