Forum rules
Wiki Link
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: ZyuRanger to be released on DVD in US by Shout! Factory

Post by Lunagel »

archer9234 wrote:And anyone whining about no Bluray release of Zyuranger, from the start. Toei is not gonna have the US release BD first over them. They lose sales immediately. Since we share the same region.
Jigga what now? Japan is Region 2, they've never had the same reason as the US.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I said BLURAY. Not DVD. JPN and US are Region A.
Bladeitout
Gao
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Bladeitout »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:I've essentially resigned myself to expect sub-par subs with needless localizations, removing all honorifics, translating stuff that shouldn't be translated and changing names to be more Western-like.

That's basically worst-case scenario, so I can't be disappointed by getting my hopes up.
Yes, because god forbid a translation that's intended for a general audience doesn't cater to the whims of fans of a what's now niche way of fansubbing. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I don't see the need for pedantic pessimism.

Lunagel wrote:Well anime/sentai fans are not general audiences. We tend to be a bit more accepting or subtitles than the average Joe
You sure about that, Lunagel? Gumo up there, plus a ton of folks on your facebook page, seem to prove otherwise.

OkiiInu wrote:
Bladeitout wrote:I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up that this necessarily means that other Sentai shows will be licensed. I mean, Saban approached Shout Factory about this.

No offense, but you got a source for that? We don't even know if Saban will be involved in this at all. Saban has the rights to make/produce/create Power Rangers from Toei, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're involved in this deal at all.
http://news.tokunation.com/2014/07/25/s ... dvds-19651
"When asked about the release itself Shout Factory’s Brian Ward confirmed that this was Saban Brands idea. So this came directly from them, as in Saban approached Shout Factory about putting this release together."
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

archer9234 wrote:I said BLURAY. Not DVD. JPN and US are Region A.
That strange. Why is Japan in America's region on Bluray, but Europe's region for DVD? That doesn't make any sense. :?
archer9234
Faiz
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Digifiend wrote:
archer9234 wrote:I said BLURAY. Not DVD. JPN and US are Region A.
That strange. Why is Japan in America's region on Bluray, but Europe's region for DVD? That doesn't make any sense. :?
There's only 3 codes for BD. While DVD is 8. Region A US JPN CAN Region B is AUS UK NZ most of EUR. Region C is the rest. So anyone could buy the Sentai and KR BD with no problem. If you know Japanese.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLlWlPgkU8

Small chat with Brian Ward about the DVDs; I think it's fairly interesting.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Bladeitout wrote:
Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:I've essentially resigned myself to expect sub-par subs with needless localizations, removing all honorifics, translating stuff that shouldn't be translated and changing names to be more Western-like.

That's basically worst-case scenario, so I can't be disappointed by getting my hopes up.
Yes, because god forbid a translation that's intended for a general audience doesn't cater to the whims of fans of a what's now niche way of fansubbing. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I don't see the need for pedantic pessimism.

Pessimism is how I approach everything. I assume that it's going to be the absolute worst, so when it comes out better (which it almost always does) I'm not disappointed. "Hope for the best, expect the worst, it's probably gonna end up somewhere in the middle". That's what I'm TRYING to convey here, anyway.
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

I'm a pessimist too. But this is Shout Factory. They've proved themselves in being the best company when it comes to ignored franchises. And never failed in quality releases. Certain shows have failed to sell. But that's because of said user base failed to buy them. Not because of quality. Or lack of effort. I can only think of 3 shows failing to sell for them. Ghost Writer, Captain Planet, and American Gladiators.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."

Before this announcement, I had never heard of this company, so I literally have nothing to go on as to their quality.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

I thought the Power Rangers dvds of SF were of low quality in the sense they felt like tv encodes put onto dvd rather than anything else and the German versions were better and someone mentioned something about they were cropped and that explains it, especially season 1 had macroblocking in certain episodes more evident than others and considering this was noticable on a good sd tv not even a hd tv and on a hd monitor its not me being picky.

That being said the UK releases of the Japanese G1 Transformers which were non SF were almost as bad so I think the German dvds were just better
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

Ryouga wrote:I thought the Power Rangers dvds of SF were of low quality in the sense they felt like tv encodes put onto dvd rather than anything else and the German versions were better and someone mentioned something about they were cropped and that explains it, especially season 1 had macroblocking in certain episodes more evident than others and considering this was noticable on a good sd tv not even a hd tv and on a hd monitor its not me being picky.

That being said the UK releases of the Japanese G1 Transformers which were non SF were almost as bad so I think the German dvds were just better
Are you serious... MMPR seasons suffered the most from poor tape masters. But The second half of turbo on through RPM are great. I don't know what TV rips you watched. But none of them ever looked as good from any of the DVD sources. Cropped what? They weren't in any regard. I don't know where you got this info from. Unless they were referring to Overdrive-RPM which the JPN footage was cropped. Since the show didn't switch to widescreen in till Samurai. Can you tell me if German uses PAL or NTSC? PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC.

If the German masters are PAL. They be a bit better. MMPR has pixelation problems because of the tape master quality being bad. Causing problems on the image. Adding to pixelation issues. The shows ran 19 mins. That's why 10 episodes could fit on the discs. I've reviewed the DVD sets. None of them dip below 4Mbps. You want to see bad DVD quality. Watch Mill Creek's cheap show sets. They stuck all of season 1 of Married with children on one disc. 13 episodes. They all dip in the really bad 2Mbps range.
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:Before this announcement, I had never heard of this company, so I literally have nothing to go on as to their quality.
Seriously? They've done Transformers, Power Rangers, and even My little Pony for example. Not to mention many other shows like Rocko's Modern life.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz

I'm not a person with a great deal of disposable income and it's a rare thing when I buy something to add to my DVD collection, and it's not like I'm going to go through the trouble to find out who produced a particular DVD unless it was just THAT bad that I never want to buy anything of theirs ever again. But I usually go to Netflix streaming or Hulu for things I want to watch from my childhood, since by the time I'd actually wait for a DVD to come in the mail the urge to watch something will likely have faded. That being said, I have checked over Shout!'s library and my most trusted friend/adviser in these matters has given the company a glowing recommendation, so I'm SLIGHTLY less pessimistic than I was before.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

archer9234 wrote:
Ryouga wrote:I thought the Power Rangers dvds of SF were of low quality in the sense they felt like tv encodes put onto dvd rather than anything else and the German versions were better and someone mentioned something about they were cropped and that explains it, especially season 1 had macroblocking in certain episodes more evident than others and considering this was noticable on a good sd tv not even a hd tv and on a hd monitor its not me being picky.

Are you serious... MMPR seasons suffered the most from poor tape masters. But The second half of turbo on through RPM are great. I don't know what TV rips you watched. But none of them ever looked as good from any of the DVD sources. Cropped what? They weren't in any regard. I don't know where you got this info from. Unless they were referring to Overdrive-RPM which the JPN footage was cropped. Since the show didn't switch to widescreen in till Samurai. Can you tell me if German uses PAL or NTSC? PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC.

If the German masters are PAL. They be a bit better. MMPR has pixelation problems because of the tape master quality being bad. Causing problems on the image. Adding to pixelation issues. The shows ran 19 mins. That's why 10 episodes could fit on the discs. I've reviewed the DVD sets. None of them dip below 4Mbps. You want to see bad DVD quality. Watch Mill Creek's cheap show sets. They stuck all of season 1 of Married with children on one disc. 13 episodes. They all dip in the really bad 2Mbps range.
If the source was bad then bitrates and the such will not matter very much and even on the German releases the quality got better season by season to the point Turbo was amazing qualuty.

And yes Germany uses PAL, I had people on the other forums thinking I am mad talking about the quality thinking since its SD its normal but dont realise I sit quite close to a tv so can notice this, one of the worst episodes in S1 of PR was Calamity Kimberly which seemed to be pure bad.

The German boxsets seemed to have a dull sort of picture but not much actual macroblocking I think its called(squares on the screen) so it seemed sharper/higher res where the German ones seem more "muddy" in terms of colours and sharpness.

Most people would not notice as they have nothing to compare to, there is quality issues with pre Turbo on the German sets too, Zeo despite having good video quality(as does all the German seasons have this following flaw) when panning and scanning there seems to be a bit of a scanline effect.
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

Yes that is the flaw with the tape masters. And PR was using the cheapest of the cheap equipment to edit on tape. Star Trek TNG had very bad masters for season 1. And a ton of episodes had scan lines. That is usually caused when effects are done. Interference when using two tape decks to composite an effect. PAL is always gonna be better. You guys have 100 extra lines of resolution. And you use RGB. Other things that would make things worse is some episodes were probably from second generation masters. And not primary. Like the few PR eps that had the Y7 logo. They couldn't locate an original master. So they had to go with a station one. I doubt PR was treated all that well too. TNG studio master tapes where vaulted till they where needed for VHS/DVD releases only. And they where still poor. PR tapes where lost. No one could located the pre-9/11 Time Force episodes. So companies just chucked them where ever.

Plus, Saban didn't even give them really good equipment. In photo's I saw them using 16mm cameras from the 70/80's. Cameras that would be used for student films. You also reminded me of a comment Paul Schrier said in a interview. They also sometimes used Super 16mm cameras. Which shoots in widescreen. So cropping would of occurred on those cameras. And would caused bigger grain issues. They probably also didn't care how well they transferred the film either. The show would really benefit from being remastered. But, even if they could afford it. I doubt they could find any film. They named things retarded names. So you don't even know what episode version you had. Brian Ward said this in a interview. When he was trying to find the completed version of the episodes that had the substitute trio voices. They were called "Missing Voices".
Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:I'm not a person with a great deal of disposable income and it's a rare thing when I buy something to add to my DVD collection, and it's not like I'm going to go through the trouble to find out who produced a particular DVD unless it was just THAT bad that I never want to buy anything of theirs ever again. But I usually go to Netflix streaming or Hulu for things I want to watch from my childhood, since by the time I'd actually wait for a DVD to come in the mail the urge to watch something will likely have faded. That being said, I have checked over Shout!'s library and my most trusted friend/adviser in these matters has given the company a glowing recommendation, so I'm SLIGHTLY less pessimistic than I was before.
Yes. Shout is a rare company. They will take that risk on a said show. Even if it's nowhere near popular. They released both Captain America films from the 70's on Bluray for fans. In a few months a complete set of the Halloween movies, with all versions on bluray from them. They're remastering Pee-Wee's TV show to BD. They released boxsets for Sonic the Hedgehog, nearly all the Transformers series, Reboot, and a ton of other forgotten sitcoms from the 70's and 80's. MAD TV seasons etc. They took over releases for shows that were stopped. I think one was Wings. And they always will give you some sort of bonus feature. No matter how small a fanbase is. We're lucky Shout got Zyuranger and not Lionsgate. Which has the rights to the HD PR seasons. Lionsgate mishandled those seasons. An example: Samurai got a "Complete" season 2 release. Two episodes are missing from the set. Season 1 isn't avaible on BD. And a complete set was only done as DVD-R. Which was even more sad when they are just the same versions of the volume sets. So to own Samurai. You need to buy 5 volumes, 2 separate DVD's that have the 4 holiday episodes. And the "Movie". So to buy season 1 fully is over $100. Almost $200 to buy both seasons. You could get Box-sets 1 and 2 for under $200 from Shout. Which contains MMPR-LG. 46 episodes VS 250+.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”