ZyuRanger to be released on DVD in US by Shout! Factory

Congratulations, you noticed something is different. Licensed before completion
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Crimzonite
Mega

Re: ZyuRanger to be released on DVD in US by Shout! Factory

Post by Crimzonite »

Another thing that the fans should think about is whether Shout! has an option to license pre-Zyuranger Sentai, or if they're limited to what's been adapated.
Bladeitout
Gao
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Bladeitout »

I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up that this necessarily means that other Sentai shows will be licensed. I mean, Saban approached Shout Factory about this. Given how hard they've been pushing MMPR stuff lately, I really wouldn't be surprised if this was moreso to sell more "MMPR" merch, as opposed to any actual interest in licensing Sentai (that, and all this paranoid money grabbing they're doing with Chroma Squad.) That said, I hope it does well, and that people enjoy the show. Even if it means *gasp* the subs aren't flashy/are localized. I mean, I like font effects as much as you guys do, and localizations are pretty 50/50, but frankly ya'll got to admit that we're a pretty niche crowd.
DrowningFishy wrote:I would be excited but I have to say I am horrified. The release Shout did of Ultraseven was a mess. First off the "special" price for pre-ordering quickly lowered after release. Why? The subs where horrid and sometimes did not make sense not as bad as HK subs though. And the Kappa ep. they refused to use Kappa they continued to translate that as monster. The whole episode is about a Kappa, and I have not found one person who doesn't know what a kappa is (asking non-anime fans). Subs aside the DVDs were glitchy, the biggest damage to the release. Flashing between black, white, greenish. DVDs skipping, refusing to fast forward. My friend was lucky to get an unglitchy copy but I got a bad copy.

But then what is the chances of two bad releases-knock on wood.
You could probably chalk up the screw-ups with your dvds to Chaiyo being involved. Maybe they translated their subs from thai to english and gave them to Shout Factory :V. A friend of mine has some of the same bugs you're having with your copy of Ultraseven.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

I'll admit to being wary, Bladeitout. And as I said in my previous post, even if Shout! does start releasing more Sentai, it's possible that they can only release Sentai that have already been adapted. Unless my math is off, there's 779 episodes before Zyuranger even began. That would be 779 episodes left out in the cold.

At the very least, it would be nice if this somehow inspired other companies to license more live action Japanese TV shows, and not just tokusatsu. Such things are a rarity even in this day and age.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Let's calm down and not worry about this until we get there. No use to worry about something that may not ever happened.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I wonder if after muscling in on that indie Sentai game Saban realised that westerners like the source material and decided to make more money.

I'm all for subbing Sentai, and it makes sense to start with Zyu, but Zyu is already fully subbed. Hopefully we get some of the older series that fan groups haven't done subbed.
teku
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Kabuto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Post by teku »

Sorry to ask, but what's the difference between a licensed Toei show than the one that got licensed in the US, apart from its subtitling? Why you all guys need to pull-out a show when somebody got it licensed in the US? It's the same licensed, copyrighted Toei shows after all...
Last edited by teku on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

dancercotillion wrote:
Kuchiri wrote:Maybe Shout will understand why some subs are extremely popular. *i.e not translating Oniichan to brother every single time*
Don't kid yourself. It'll be westernized as much as possible to appeal to as many people as possible, which means dropping honorifics among other things. Whether they go so far as to rename stuff like DaiZyuJin or even the series itself, that remains to be seen.
Shout doesn't do that. That was only done with The Japanese Transformers series. Because Hasbro demanded the US names on already setup characters. They will just translate the show just like they did with Ultraseven and Q. I've meet Brian Ward personally. He listens to fan input the most.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

teku wrote:Sorry to ask, but what's the difference between a licensed Toei show than the one that got licensed in the US, apart from its subtitling? Why you all guys need to pull-out a show when somebody got it licensed in the US? It's the same licensed, copyrighted Toes shows after all...
It's a code of honour. If an official release exists in the United States, then the fansubs of that show are pulled. Grown Ups in Spandex already pulled their version (the completed one Catastrophe mentioned) of Zyuranger, because it's now been licenced for a release in it's original form (as opposed to as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers). TV Nihon has itself pulled several shows in the past because they got an official release.

tl:dr Fansubbers support official releases and don't compete with them.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Exactly. If a fansub exists, then people are going to go for that because its free and not support the official release. We want to promote this kind of thing happening.

I am curious about one thing though. I was under the impression that American audiences are not fans of subtitled content. Wasn't the remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series done because of this fact? I'm hoping that just because it doesn't have a dub it won't turn off casuals or prevent people buying it for children.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Well anime/sentai fans are not general audiences. We tend to be a bit more accepting or subtitles than the average Joe
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Bladeitout wrote:Maybe they translated their subs from thai to english and gave them to Shout Factory :V.
I doubt it, they weren't babelfish bad.
DrowningFishy wrote:What did you think of the subs by Shout?
I thought they were okay; having August Ragone behind the set made me feel better about it.
And, I really liked the booklet he made up to go with it.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I've essentially resigned myself to expect sub-par subs with needless localizations, removing all honorifics, translating stuff that shouldn't be translated and changing names to be more Western-like.

That's basically worst-case scenario, so I can't be disappointed by getting my hopes up.
OkiiInu
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players." - Willy Shakes
Type: ESFP Performer

Post by OkiiInu »

Bladeitout wrote:I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up that this necessarily means that other Sentai shows will be licensed. I mean, Saban approached Shout Factory about this.
No offense, but you got a source for that? We don't even know if Saban will be involved in this at all. Saban has the rights to make/produce/create Power Rangers from Toei, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're involved in this deal at all.
archer9234
Faiz
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Can someone delete this double post.
Last edited by archer9234 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

DrowningFishy wrote:I would be excited but I have to say I am horrified. The release Shout did of Ultraseven was a mess. First off the "special" price for pre-ordering quickly lowered after release. Why? The subs where horrid and sometimes did not make sense not as bad as HK subs though. And the Kappa ep. they refused to use Kappa they continued to translate that as monster. The whole episode is about a Kappa, and I have not found one person who doesn't know what a kappa is (asking non-anime fans). Subs aside the DVDs were glitchy, the biggest damage to the release. Flashing between black, white, greenish. DVDs skipping, refusing to fast forward. My friend was lucky to get an unglitchy copy but I got a bad copy.

But then what is the chances of two bad releases-knock on wood.
OkiiInu wrote:
Bladeitout wrote:I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up that this necessarily means that other Sentai shows will be licensed. I mean, Saban approached Shout Factory about this.
No offense, but you got a source for that? We don't even know if Saban will be involved in this at all. Saban has the rights to make/produce/create Power Rangers from Toei, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're involved in this deal at all.
I have ultraseven and have no issues like that. Shout even made fixes on their Victory and Super-God masterforce DVD when fans pointed out subtitle mistakes. The fixed DVD's even came with a lithograph as an apology.

Shout Factory twitter confirmed that. People are really getting defensive here. Look, almost no one is gonna leave things untranslated like -kun etc. I can only remember Dragonball z Dragon Box's doing that. This is for a public wide release. Everything is gonna be translated. Kamen Rider V3 had two sub types. One for mild cursing left in. One without. They could do this with Shout. But I doubt it. I've ask Brian Ward how much subtitling costs. Around $10,000. Right now there's a thread on Rangerboard that is directly giving input on how the subs should be done. And Brian Ward does go to the forums to get fan input. At most, all the names like Daizyujin etc. are left untranslated.

Digimon was totally retarded because Toei was like: People like JPN Digimon. But then freaked out most terms were different in the Dub. And wanted sales from Dub fans, for some reason. Plus, it's digital only. So no one really cared about quality control. You guys are gonna just screw any chance of Sentai to be released here? And possible Kamen Rider releases. They didn't rule those out. They just need to get the license. It's not like Toei stupid sub nonsense will happen here. Shout Factory is the best company right now to deal with this. As for fan-subbing. They should be pulled when that season is released in the US. Even if the perfect storm happened and Sentai is done from this point on. It will take a decade to even reach the present season. Not to mention them doing the 15 seasons prior to Zyuranger. And anyone whining about no Bluray release of Zyuranger, from the start. Toei is not gonna have the US release BD first over them. They lose sales immediately. Since we share the same region.
Last edited by archer9234 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”