Dreamy: Bruce Banner
Favorite Actor?: Jet Li
Favorite Band: Imogen Heap
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: writing
Quote: Ca va, go-busters?

Re: get your lameass mmpr wackyness out of your system now P

Post by friendlyquark »

FortMax wrote:I grew up with Power Rangers, and still like it. I find PR is at its best when it isn't adapting Sentai, but just uses the fight footage with new plots.

Which I like better really depends on the season. I love Bokenger, but Overdrive is terrible (well, the Rangers are, the supporting cast is pretty good), while SPD and RPM beat out Dekaranger and Go-Onger.
Having watched both SPD and Deka, I am slightly baffled. Except for the whole 'two kids from a bad neighborhood' and squashing together all the villains under one Big Bad, the SPD episodes were incredibly close to Deka, almost shot for shot in some instances. I admit that Doggy's makeover for Disney was superior to the Plushie look he had in Deka, but otherwise they kept really close to Deka in almost every way. So, as I said, baffled by the idea that SPD was so much better, when they were nearly the same. Plus Sen was super awesome and beat out Bridge, in my book. I liked the Deka's better than the SPD team and hated the artificial 'bring back Doggy's wife' thing. P

Wow. Sorry. I really geek'd out there!

Love Zyuranger, looking forward to seeing it subbed finally after twenty years plus of pausing the tape to try to puzzle out the dialog for myself. LOL Sugoi desu!
KinoHiroshino
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: 175R
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: swiss army knife
Quote: 最初に言っておく...
俺はか-な-り-強い

Post by KinoHiroshino »

MMPR is now available on Netflix from the very first episode to episode 177. i'm not sure how many seasons that is but i'll find out soon enough. it's so awesome.
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

Actually they have more than just MMPR they have all the Power Rangers series until Samurai (including the re-versioning of MMPR) That must have taken quite a bit of effort. Also if you're interested in even more nostalgia they also have both seasons of VR Troopers and Beetleborgs respectively.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

friendlyquark wrote:
FortMax wrote:I grew up with Power Rangers, and still like it. I find PR is at its best when it isn't adapting Sentai, but just uses the fight footage with new plots.

Which I like better really depends on the season. I love Bokenger, but Overdrive is terrible (well, the Rangers are, the supporting cast is pretty good), while SPD and RPM beat out Dekaranger and Go-Onger.
Having watched both SPD and Deka, I am slightly baffled. Except for the whole 'two kids from a bad neighborhood' and squashing together all the villains under one Big Bad, the SPD episodes were incredibly close to Deka, almost shot for shot in some instances. I admit that Doggy's makeover for Disney was superior to the Plushie look he had in Deka, but otherwise they kept really close to Deka in almost every way. So, as I said, baffled by the idea that SPD was so much better, when they were nearly the same. Plus Sen was super awesome and beat out Bridge, in my book. I liked the Deka's better than the SPD team and hated the artificial 'bring back Doggy's wife' thing. P

Wow. Sorry. I really geek'd out there!

Love Zyuranger, looking forward to seeing it subbed finally after twenty years plus of pausing the tape to try to puzzle out the dialog for myself. LOL Sugoi desu!
SPD was pretty cool actually, and I did notice that things were fairly close with some of the episode plots to some of the episodes of Deka, although I think Deka was way better. The way Krueger looked on SPD was pretty neat, but for some reason I prefer the way he looked on Deka.

most of the original Sentai programs from which the Power Rangers franchise is based on tend to be better, but there are rare occasions when the reverse is true, but those are very rare occasions indeed. PR Mystic Force I found easier to sit through than Magiranger, well, at least at first. and Dino THunder and Ninja Storm were pretty cool overall IMHO.

anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing more subbed Zyuranger episodes. After watching the first 5, I'm anxious to see what happens next.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

MMPR is what it all started for me. I loved it from the very beginning and I was often bullied and ridiculed over it. Because here MMPR was not cool or only for kids. Especially when I got older they seemed to have it out for me on that. The strangest thing however is that those who ridiculed me for it, were very well informed on the latest developments in the series and could quote lines from the latest episodes.

I stopped following PR early in the In Space season. Somehow Turbo just felt wrong. Later when I found Super Sentai (this was about the time that TN was subbing MagiRanger) I regained my interest in PR and watched all the seasons up to then. I must say that I still liked it very much and it wasn't the nostalgia. Some were really good and some were bad, but it still had its charm. I think that both Super Sentai and PR have both there good and bad points. Each has their own charm and to me none is better or worse to the other in general.

The biggest problem that the PR series had, was that when the episodes for a season were written. The episodes of the series it was based off were also still being edited and aired. Thus the writers of PR didn't really know what direction the Sentai footage would go to. This results in that some seasons followed their Sentai counterpart really close. And the seasons that didn't often fell a bit short in their plot lines.

I hope this gets improved with the season after Samurai. But I also hope that they make a season of Power Rangers that does not use another Sentai series, however that will probably be too expensive. I wonder how they are going to adapt Gokaiger though.
Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:They say power ranger actor just to get peoples attention. It wouldn't have had the same effect to say an extra did it.
that's the way sensationalist journalism works, they say something that's attention grabbing, usually on the front page headline, and then you dig a little deeper and learn the real story is a little more complicated than the overly simplified headline.
Not to mention, that the extra's role in PR is his only Acting role. At least according to IMDB. Even when googling his name, you only get his trial coverage and the IMDB page. It only shows how lame assed journalists can be.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”